What oil's are you using ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be in the manual or the drivers handbook if it's not in the d22 section. Fairly sure in the back of the handbook you'll find all the fluid measures.

I used VMX-80 on the gearbox and VMX-M on the transfer case .

have a feeling that VMX-80 may be too heavy as my gear changes seem a little harder,tighter fit ,anyone have advice or experience with this ?

2010 d22
4790ks
i used valvoline syn power 5w40 yesterday
oil was black , dont know what nissan used at 1000k service not sure what they will use at 10000k
i will probably go to a 10w30 at 15000ks

2010 d22
4790ks
oil was black , dont know what nissan used at 1000k service not sure what they will use at 10000k

Nissan don't change the oil at 1000k's, so it would have been the initial fill from factory. By the way, does anyone know what oil supplier Nissan use in the factories? I know BMW are contracted with Castrol and Mercedes Benz were with Fuchs as an example?

Regards

Greg

Nissan don't change the oil at 1000k's, so it would have been the initial fill from factory. By the way, does anyone know what oil supplier Nissan use in the factories? I know BMW are contracted with Castrol and Mercedes Benz were with Fuchs as an example?

Regards

Greg

My local Nissan dealer uses Castrol.

2010 d22
4790ks

It seems most dealers are using Shell Helix 5W30 (D40) and prob the same for the '22,
tho 5W40 is the go for the '22.
But some dealers use other brands as mentioned,
and by the way Nissan have their own branded engine oils for the D40/'22 that they actually dont use themselves???.

The oil will never be "clean" even only 5 min of running after a new oil fill, and black is the right colour.

2 dealers near me said they use 'genuine nissan' oil only. Not sure what the nissan oil is rebranded from.

semi-synthetic SAE 10W-40, ACEA: B3

Thats what it says on the 'genuine nissan' oil container for D22 intercooled 2.5L turbo.

48 aussie bucks for 5L...

semi-synthetic SAE 10W-40, ACEA: B3

Thats what it says on the 'genuine nissan' oil container for D22 intercooled 2.5L turbo.

48 aussie bucks for 5L...

That seems a bit heavy weight and cheap in price for Nissan oil 2.5 CRTD
Last time I enquired bout their own oil for the '22 they said, and I've seen the bottle,
the oil nissan have is something like 7W-30 'full syn' which by the way is needed for the D40's DPF, if you have one of the D40's...'auto's'.

the container says not suitable for vehicles with DPF fitted. I assume the D22 doesnt have a DPF?

below is a list of reccomended oil for a d22 with yd25
from the various manufacturers websites
most have a standard and premium listing
SHELL
5w40 helix ultra (prem) or 10w40 helix hx7(std)
CASTROL
5w30 edge sport(prem) or15w40 magnatec diesel(std)
VALVOLINE
5w40 synpower(prem) or10w40 durablend(std)
NULON
15w40 high protection diesel formula
PENRITE
hpr5 diesel 5 (5w40)
FUCHS
titan supersyn 5w40(prem) or titan gt1 proflex 5w30(std)
cheers

Last edited:
Is synthetic oil better than non-synthetic? (for a D22)
taken from castrols website
Synthetic lubricants are engineered to do the job of a conventional lubricant - but they do it much, much better. Think of them as bionic lubricants, if you will! Though a bit more costly to produce and, therefore, more expensive to buy, these "super lubricants" can actually save you money in the long run.
All lubricants fall into one of three categories: liquid (oil), semiliquid (grease), and solid (graphite). All three are derived from vegetable, mineral, or synthetic base stock. However, were these raw materials alone used to lubricate modern, high-precision machinery; they would quickly overheat, catch fire, evaporate or emulsify. To guard against this, all lubricants are doctored to a certain extent - processed to remove impurities and bolstered with chemical additives. Synthetic lubricants, however, are manufactured specifically to stand up to the severe conditions under which conventional oils might falter. They are designed to possess viscosity characteristics superior to those of mineral oils. The resulting lubricants have a molecular structure that is tailored to meet and often exceed manufacturers' criteria for high-performance engines.

below is a list of reccomended oil for a d22 with yd25
from the various manufacturers websites
most have a standard and premium listing
SHELL
5w40 synpower (prem) or 10w40 helix hx7(std)

cheers

Synpower is Valvoline....U know what I mean....

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Full Synthetic
is what I use and is suitable for the 2.5CRTD....... without DPF

Last edited by a moderator:
Synpower is Valvoline....U know I mean....

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Full Synthetic
is what I use and is suitable for the 2.5CRTD....... without DPF

sorry should read
shell
10w40helix hx7 (std) 5w40 heiix ultra (prem)

note how most suggest a fully syn 5w40 as premium oil
i swear mine is running better afta using 5w40 synthetic

but i think it may be a bit thin when engine gets more k's

oil

just had 10k service done at the nissan dealer and the invoice has 4.6L Castrol 15/40 oil on it.

Same dealer told me previously to only use genuine nissan 10/40 oil.

Latest posts

Back