What oil's are you using ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys thanks for the feedback, the comment regarding "has it got a DPF" I am unsure what a DPF is ! Its a 2007 Auto 2.5 L turbo, how do I find out about the DPF?

It is the Diesel Particulate filter in the exhaust. Most auto D40 models have one.

Regards

Greg

Hi Guys thanks for the feedback, the comment regarding "has it got a DPF" I am unsure what a DPF is ! Its a 2007 Auto 2.5 L turbo, how do I find out about the DPF?

"Diesel Particulate Filter"....there is a thread or two on the subject in here, have a look.
Dont know if you have one, I'm not D40 aquainted.
Its part of your exhaust system, probably is under the front or rear passenger seat floor, though its not a cat converter,

or wait for some of the D40 guys to come on.

Okay Guys, so im still new to the world of diesel, only 15 thousand k under the belt on a 2010 2.5 turbo diesel d22 Navara.

So Im about to do my first DIY oil and Filter change, and this has brought on much confusion,

DPF Oil Filter = What is it and does a D22 use one, ( one guy tells me yes another no one guy says only Auto Use them Counts D22's Out, another says all new Diesels use them) ?

So what Oil Filter are you Using? Ie Ryco, Bosch, Genuine Nissan (what ever brand they are) please add Serial Number ie: RYCO Z89A

Now to Oils, One Guy Tells me you need a professional grade oil (WTF oil is oil isnt it) I understand there is different grades and different thickness oils.
Now i Have noticed here most of you have listed what oil so thats slightly straight forward, But then im told newer motor thinner oil?

So fo my first DIY oil and filter change 15 thou Ks i have gone with
OIL = PENRIGHT HPR5 5w-40
FILTER = RYCO Z89A

Any thoughts or help with DPF filters and so on?

2010 model D22 don't have a DPF.

I use the genuine Nissan oil filter - if there are engine problems, they look for non-genuine parts to try wriggle out of warranty claims.

Second that from navarad22 with genuine oil filter. I also use genuine Nissan oil which is 10w-40 semi syn oil. Nissan dealer just told me it us castrol magnatec in a Nissan bottle. So for me filter is $25 and oil is around $35 for 5litres. Typical of the car to take 5.7 litres so u need a second bottle first up and them single bottles for the next 5 changes.

D22 have no dpf only auto d40 and pathfinder. Oil changes is pretty easy. Takes me bout hour but could be less, I fiddle around and check battery level and top up all fluids. Plus check hoses and wiring for defects etc. Grease suspension components and shit like that.

What the last 2 guys said.

Except I use Delo 400.

I agree with last 3 guys, however i use AMSOIL Full Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil in conjunction with a Franz oil bypass system. I have used this system for 11 years with my old GQ,GU 4.2 Turbo diesels, D22 Navara and currently with my D40 2.5 manual diesel Navara. Oil is lot more expensive, however oil change intervals is at 20,000 ks. Durring 20,000ks, i use a test kit to check oil every 5,000ks whilst replacing the oil bypass filter. I change main oil filter at 10,000 ks. When changing oil filters i just top up the oil that' required usually half a litre. Even at 20,000ks my oil test results still advise that the oil is Ok.

The reason why i use Amsoil is due to towing a camper trailer and boat up and down beaches and some of the serious tracks my mates and i use on the weekends at Coffs Harbour. Navaras both the 3 lt and 2.5 litre engines producing exsesive heat under load, it is impertive to use an engine oil than can help disapate the heat and maintain engine performance. The following is a bio on Amsoil synthetic oils;

"First of all, let's take a brief look at the history of synthetic motor oil and its introduction to the marketplace. AMSOIL Inc. developed the first synthetic motor oil to meet API service requirements. Lieutenant Colonel Albert J. Amatuzio, President and CEO of AMSOIL Inc. witnessed synthetic lubricants in action as a jet fighter squadron commander. He noted that synthetic oils were developed for (and still are used exclusively in) aircraft jet engines because of their ability to reduce friction and wear on engine parts. This preformance was due to synthetic oil having incredible ability to function dependably at severe hot and cold temps as well as to withstand rigorous and lengthy engine operation without viscosity breakdown. This is critical in aircraft engine operation because, if oil breaks down at 30,000 feet, aircraft engines can fail and ... well, you get the picture. Amatuzio decided that he would develop synthetic motor oil to be used in automobiles for the same benefits. In 1972 AMSOIL introduced the first motor oil for automotive applications. In the early seventies, another company was also working on synthetic oil development for the automobile ... Mobil Oil Company. They came to market with synthetic motor oil in 1975. By the 1990's the other major oil companies added their synthetic oils to the marketplace, in addition to their petroleum-based products.

What are the pros and cons of using synthetic oil in my car?

Pros:

•It flows easier in cold weather, therefore no loss of prime when the oil is cold. Also, it is highly resistant to viscosity breakdown (the ability of the oil to flow easily in all temps) from heat, friction, chemical contaminants.

•Longer change intervals: 7,000 - 9,000 miles between oil changes (compared to 3,000 for regular oil). Some folks have documented up to 25K miles between changes. However, I would not advice going that long!

Cons:

• Cost is twice as much as conventional oil per litre. However it lasts longer, so the actual cost increase is closer to 50 - 60 percent.

•Flows easily, therefore not recommend for use on high mileage engines; nor do I recommend using it in new engines during the break-in period because it is so slippery and dramatically limits the wearing of new mating parts within the engine. This initial wearing of parts is what makes for proper engine break-in, sealing of piston rings, mating of camshafts and lifters, etc.

Does it make my engine last longer?

Yes, because its so slippery, synthetic makes for less engine wear and thus greater engine longevity."

Like anything in life, you must reseach the facts. Eliminate the 80% of bullshit to help obtain the 20% of facts. the 80/20 rule.

Regards RLI

Anyone heard of, or have any feedback on "Synforce Cruiser Oil".
It's a JASO DH-1 rated 15W40 semi-synthetic.

Cheers,
VCrusty.

Synforce is somewhat of a boutique oil producer located in Hervey Bay QLD. It is a state of the art facility and they blend oils by weight rather than volume which from what i understand is more precise.

I used their gear oils in my old 80 series cruiser.The gear oil solved the shift baulk like magic. Will use the gear oils in the nav when due.

The Cruiser oil claim to fame is Increased fuel economy and / or Power.

Regards

Greg

Synforce is somewhat of a boutique oil producer located in Hervey Bay QLD. It is a state of the art facility and they blend oils by weight rather than volume which from what i understand is more precise.

I used their gear oils in my old 80 series cruiser.The gear oil solved the shift baulk like magic. Will use the gear oils in the nav when due.

The Cruiser oil claim to fame is Increased fuel economy and / or Power.

Regards

Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg.
At $135 for 20 litres I think its pretty resonable price wise, considering it's a semi synthetic.
I have found a local stockist and will be giving it a try next oil change.
Will post up some feedback on it's performance if anyone's interested.

Cheers,
VCrusty.

Hey Guys,

I'm a little confused, I have a 2006 ZD30 and I am looking at doing my first service on it in the next week or so.
It currently has 77000K on the clock.
I have gone through a few of the posts and also looked at the Penrite web site.
It seems that most of you use the Penrite HPR15.
The website lists 2 options
- HPR5W-40
- HPR15W-40.

My dad has a '04 GU Patrol with the 4.2TD and has always used the 15W-40 and is rapped with it.
Does his change every 5000K ( filters & oil )

Which one should I use?

Tony.

I have the 06 ST-R with the ZD30 and also use the Penrite HPR15 Desiel ( seems to be a popular oil) What i have noticed is when i use oil additives (nulon or Lucas) the motor runs smoother and the oil is not so black at oil change time. I used to do the 5000K services before now i do 7500K with the additives.

I have seen desiel motors do over a million kms with standard oil mixed with these additives.

I haven't got my Nav yet but I will be using Liqui Moly oils in the engine, gearbox, transfer and diffs.
Main reason being that I get them real cheap from a mate who works in the industry and I haven't heard any bad reports/reviews on their oils.

I am not sure what brand filters yet, I have to get a price from a mate who works in Nissan spare parts then compare to what I can get non genuine.

I am planning the first oil/filter change for around the 1500 - 2000km mark, the next at 5000km and I might sneak another in at 7500km before it gets it's first Nissan Service at 10,000kms. Will just see how the oil looks.

After the 10,000km service it will be getting regular 5000km interval engine services. I will do all the diffs/transfer/gearbag at 10,000, then every 40,000kms after that unless I put it through some deep rivers. Then it will get a change when I get home.

Cheers
Jake

Last edited:
I don't think that's likely but if you pm or email him I'm sure he will give you a price.

Latest posts

Back