What size winch? Help Please Avenger

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvguy

Reaction score
Hello peeps
I am after some help on what size winch to get.
I have a 08 rx king cab d40 steel tray and bar, sliders and bash plates so with tray empty full of fuel I'm about 2500kg
I'm looking at a kingdom avenger either 9500 or 1200 with rope or cable haven't made up my mind
So what i wanted to find out if 9500 should be OK or am i better of saving up a little more for the 1200.
any thoughts
cheers fpvguy

Since you very, very rarely dangle the entire weight of your vehicle off the end of the winch and haul it up, either winch will do the job nicely.

That said though, the larger winch will use proportionally less of its capacity to do the same job. Numerically, your car is 60% of the capacity of the smaller winch, and 47% of the capacity of the larger winch.

As for rope/steel I can't say. Rope is probably better unless you have to do pulls where the rope comes into contact with rocks/ground.

I just installed the 9500 lb Avenger. I did a fair bit of research on them but one of the big factors was knowing it would still be up to the task equally on a Patrol. I was told by the guys at Powerful 4x4 unless I was doing comp stuff the 9500 lb was more than enough. I went the cable because I ran out of dollars.

Cheers Brad

Thanks nevyn that seems so make me feel better about going for 9500 then saves me a few $$$$
Dose anybody no how hard it is to change from cable to rope later on?

I was told by the guys at Powerful 4x4 unless I was doing comp stuff the 9500 lb was more than enough.

That makes sense as you don't want to bugger around in comp, but out in the scrub, taking your time and "thunking" is usually better.

Somewhere on a thread here, if I remember the figures correctly, was a comment about the worst case(getting it unstuck) being total vehicle weight,
times 6 for flat on your belly in the mud and
times 4 for bogged to the axles in sand.

OTOH, that is why they created snatch blocks, which double your pulling power, but halve your pulling distance.

Then again, some really old farts will tell you that a shovel is the "best winch" and it is a luxury recovery if you have a few bags.

So a bit of shovel work(exit ramps) will reduce any winch work.

Cable to rope is fairly easy, the other thing you need to change is the fairlead. Apparently you can't use the roller fairleads with rope, I'm assuming because the rope may get caught in the gaps between the rollers.

As for capacity, the way I look at it is, will you be towing at at stage when you go off road? Be it either a boat, camper or off road trailer? If you are you might need to consider the extra trailer weight n your calculations. This may mean you need to get the 12000lb one to have enough capacity. Just something else to think about if you get bogged and have to pull the trailer out too

My it's is a little heavier than your and I took my warn 9500 off because it was really really struggling to get me out,put a 12000 ridge Ryder on and it does the job wonderfully.mind you I do get quet stuck getting to my hunting grounds up here in Townsville so it can get dry very muddy.but whe my ute weighs what it does I'd rather have the 12000 and now that I'll be able to get out rather then hope haha
With the cable or roo I like rope because it can't be kinked or twisted and also if it snaps for whatever reason it will be alot less leathal to you and your car.
I'm fairly sure supercheap have the ridgeryder on sale fOr 5 or 600 at the moment.

Mate i run the 12000 kingone/avenger and its awesome. The reason i went for the 12000 was if i got stuck with all the camp gear and camper trailer it would have no probs and i wouldnt have to worry about unloading or unhooking the trailer while the shit was hitting the fan.
I have given it a good work out over the last 19 months and it has not missed a beat.
I would recommend them to anyone especially when they work so good and they are half the price of a 9500lb warn, but have more grunt, low amp draw, long run time with out heat over load and they won the winch comparo a few yrs back.

Latest posts

Back