What's that slap slap slap noise?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
Not everytime, but it is becoming more frequent.

When I start the motor I get a slap slap slap slap, then it's back to the normal dum dum dum dum dum sound from the under the bonnet.

Sounds like something that is loose when the motor starts and tensions up as the motor runs.

It makes no difference if the motor is stone cold or warmed up.

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like something that requires an hydraulic force in order to apply the correct amount of pressure on something, maybe timing chain tensioner???

101,000 on the clock.

Oh, good point, i've never watched, but I think the slapping does last about that long. I would say it lasts about 1 to almost 2 secs.

I'd guess the tensioner's sticking and allowing the back of the chain to slap against it, and after a bit of movement the tensioner starts applying pressure to the chain again like it's supposed to.

It's worth having a listen to the front of the housing. Use a mechanic's stethoscope and watch out for the cooling fan, it bites.

Well the thing's still under warranty, extended, I have to get a transfer case replaced, I'll get the guys to look at it see what they say, I'd prefer to get the tensioner replaced than wait for it to get worse.

The Nissan place I go to aren't too bad. The head service guy offered me a blanking plate for my EGR, didn't have to guts to tell him I'd already done it.

I have had this exact slap slap slap for the last 55,000km+. Let me know what you find, Its stayed the same but never got any worse. being doing it for over 12 months

As 4naving mentioned above, it does coincide with the oil light going out. If it is a hydraulic issue, then all I may have to do is wait for the oil pressure to build up, that's not an unusual problem I would have thought. That's why it's a good idea to let your motor build up oil pressure before you zip off.

I'm going to try and drop into the Nissan place next week, see what they say.

As the d40 oil filter is inverted if the anti drain back valve does not hold the oil it takes a moment to fill the filter again and build pressure...Tthe non genuine filters valve seem to not be as good as genuine in this regard... Probably why they cost more...

Mine was also a bit noisy on start up, now using genuine filters and changed to 10/30 oil, heaps better but still does it on a occasion.

Kev

Oh, that's interesting, I might try a genuine filter next service and see what happens.

I changed from 10W40 semi synth oil to 5W40 full synth oil last change to see if that made any difference, it didn't, it just cost me an extra $20 for the oil.

Yea im using genuine filter and 10/40 oil and haven't had the noise again. I know they recommend 30 weight oil but with our temps higher than Europe and mine being a manual (no dpf) I think the 40 gives better protection when working hard. Just my opinion as I don't want to start an oil debate....

Agree with the filter. I used a different mechanic as it needed a service quickly, and they used a non genuine filter. I then had the same noise you are describing. Took back to normal mechanic who replaced oily and filter as reccomended and noise went away immediately.

Makes me wonder how many mis diagnosed timing chains have been replaced when it looks like its could be a filter issue stressing people out. Or maybe its a combination of both... Be interesting to see if they replace siringo,s chain what condition the chain and tensioners are... let us know what transpires...

Makes me wonder how many mis diagnosed timing chains have been replaced when it looks like its could be a filter issue stressing people out. Or maybe its a combination of both... Be interesting to see if they replace siringo,s chain what condition the chain and tensioners are... let us know what transpires...

In a similar vein, I wonder how many timing chains have failed as a result of fitting aftermarket oil filters, or the wrong grade of oil.

Latest posts

Back