where can i find a towbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day boys,

so im chasing a towbar (full getup) for my 08 D22 to tow my tinny.
ive tryed fleabay, and gumtree and all of those are for the pre 08 tubs, rang pedders in mascot and they quoted me $860 which is WAY more than i want to pay,

so where the frig can i source one,
quite happy to fit it myself, anyone know who stocks them, cheaper than pedders obviously.

cheers guys for any info....

I've got a 2nd hand one, it was on my D22 2010 model (Thai build - long tray) for 20,000 kms and only used to tow a 4.25 metre tinny to the local reservoir. It's sitting in the workshop gathering dust, I was going to put it on ebay but I've been too lazy. It was replaced by one of Scotty Bobcat's custom rear bars with tow hitch point so the original factory bar was taken off.

The biggest issue is I'm in Victoria and you're in Botany and it's heavy and I reckon freight would be be exxy.

It's only the bars (not the tongue and bolts) but it's hardly used and I'd take $200 for it (you'd have to arrange freight but I'm happy to drop it at a freight depot as long as they've got a Bendigo or Castlemaine depot or they can pick up from Castlemaine during business hours maybe).

Let me know if you're interested and I can post a photo to this thread.

Last edited:
There's a couple on eBay at the moment but are in Victoria.
There is also a heavy duty rear bar but not sure where it's from.

Last edited:
Pretty sure hayman reece still make them (same as the nissan branded one) for about $480.

Is yours December 08 or something? The 08 models generally have the shorter tub unless it is a very late built one. Does it have the flat tail gate or the ribbed one?

so i just went and had a look, its plated as 01/09 and has the ribbed tub tailgate, so im safe to assume its the larger tub? looks like i can get one shipped for around $470

also if mines 01/09 is that a thai built or jap? for future reference?

cheeeeeers

If you have the 2.5CR with ribbed tailgate you have Jap, its actually an 08 model badged 09. Short tub.

so i just went and had a look, its plated as 01/09 and has the ribbed tub tailgate, so im safe to assume its the larger tub? looks like i can get one shipped for around $470

also if mines 01/09 is that a thai built or jap? for future reference?

cheeeeeers

nope, it's the shorter tub, as said above also. so any of the ones you found at wreckers / etc will fit no probs.

as above also, probably a very late 08 build but not stamped until 09. it is jap built..

so which was the better built? mine had single crank batt too, i added a aux deep cycle batt up front,

oh and cheers for the info, lol after ages spent looking for a long tub tow pack it now seems i was after the short one all along, typical haha

so which was the better built?

I have a Thai built D22 and I think that the Jap built ones are a bit better built but I also think the 2.5 common rail motor is nicer than the older 3.0 liter motor.

If you've got one of the very few Jap built utes with the 2.5 common rail motor and short tub (for better departure angle) then you've got the best combination of the lot in my opinion.

Having said that the differences between any of the stock versions make little difference once you start modding them...

Towbar

Just keep trying fleabay you will eventually snag one. Make sure you know the type of chassis you have because the bar will vary depending on this. Eg I ended up getting one on fleabay for my Spanish D40 for $150. It was perfect fit and simple to install. Cost me another $70 to get auto sparky to install plug but I rekon I could have done it myself for about half that. Good Luck.

yeah i saw a few short tub ones floating around, but i thought i had a long tub so kept looking haha,
yeah thats the plan to fit myself, i cant justify the 800 i was quoted just to be able to tow my tinny lol

okay so an update, i picked up a towbar from a wrecker in sydney about 1/8th the price of a new one, got it home, then noticed i only got 3 bolts not 4 haha my error for not checking, ill swipe a new one from work,

but now for the fitting, i asume the towbar bolts to the end of the chassis but mine only has 2 holes that will match the 100cm between the rails (centre to centre of the hole) and not the 4 that i clearly need?
has anyone fitted there own and did you simply attach towbar on front two existing holes then drill through the chassis for the rear two?
and was it easier to drop off the spare tyre?
any tips would be apreciated or even a photo of someones bolt alignment on your towbar setup,

cheers boys,

okay so an update, i picked up a towbar from a wrecker in sydney about 1/8th the price of a new one, got it home, then noticed i only got 3 bolts not 4 haha my error for not checking, ill swipe a new one from work,

but now for the fitting, i asume the towbar bolts to the end of the chassis but mine only has 2 holes that will match the 100cm between the rails (centre to centre of the hole) and not the 4 that i clearly need?
has anyone fitted there own and did you simply attach towbar on front two existing holes then drill through the chassis for the rear two?
and was it easier to drop off the spare tyre?
any tips would be apreciated or even a photo of someones bolt alignment on your towbar setup,

cheers boys,
I did mine last week, managed to get one finally after ages of searching.

Yeah, as you mentioned above you need to drill 2 holes. It might be easier to drop the spare, I didn't but if I had to fit one again I probably would, unless you have a hoist, lol.

You can attach it an drill if you want, it will probably line up better, I just put the L bracket on the outside and eyeballed it which worked OK though...

Oh and you should have 10 bolts altogether, there are 3 for each L bracket plus the 4 for the towbar itself

10 bolts? did yours come disassembled? as mine is all together already. looks as if the whole unit was unbolted from wrecked nav, and only has 4 bolt holes on the L brackets ( 2 per bracket)

but yeah cheers for the info, answered what i thought, have to bolt it up and drill through chassis, did you bolt yours underneath the chassis, or did it fit into the rails and bolt on that way? cheers again...
oh and mine is a genuine nav one too, not aftermarket.

Latest posts

Back