Which chip?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I61w

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been covered but I have had a look and can't find any references that suits my question.
I have been trying to do my homework on performance chips and have gone chip blind. There are a lot of different products out there and finding the right one for my 2008 Navara STR 2.5 is proving difficult. I have come to the conclusion that cheap ones are what they say, cheap, but how much do I have to spend to get a decent one. I have seen navara 2.5 specific chips from the UK for 700 bucks and seems a quality product. I have also been told I would need to replace my exhaust to a 75mm in order to stop the pistons burning out and ruining the engine, is this true?
I am about to buy a 2 ton caravan and don't want to afford a new vehicle so I need the extra power low down with extra tourqe.

Ian

I run a chipit with my otherwise mechanically standard D40. When I had the chip installed, I had a custom tune to suit my towing requirements. All up cost was under $1100 (chip supply and fit, and custom tune).

I'm a happy customer.

Chip it here too.
Only other option is steinbouer I think, but its hard wired and I have warranty still :)

Alot of people go in blind to this topic but basically you have two options one is relatively safe the other can cause potential problems requiring at the very least new injectors ($1000 each) or a new engine ($10-15k) if you are unlucky.

The first option is a chip that holds the injector open longer, the Steinbauer is one of these such chips they don't go and quote stupidly high performance numbers, just ~20% which is the case for nearly all applications of their product. Now teaming this chip up with a quality exhaust setup like a 2.75" beaudesert exhaust will produce very good results (since you are towing I'd recommend a good exhaust anyway). This method is relatively safe and you seldome hear of problems with the steinbauer units.

The second option is a fuel rail pressure chip such as the Chip it, Dp chip, Tunit and nearly all of the cheap ebay ones. Now the problem is you are dealing with enormous pressures inside the fuel rail and modifying it can lead to catastrophic failure of your engine. Don't believe the BS about how they back their product with warranty because they don't, there is a thread on new hilux.net about it if you don't believe me, a guy installed their petrol injection kit, blew a hole in his piston and was up shit creek without even a roll of ****ing toilet paper... You will get more power with this style of chip, there are lots of guys who have them fitted without any dramas but be mindful there are quite a few cases of dead engines, broken injectors ect because of these chips. Also be mindful that they sometimes install some sort of blocking device on your fuel rail to stop it emergency purging when the rail pressure exceeds its safe working limit I can't remember the exact models that require this but beware of it.

Anyway best of luck, try to look at things with an unbiased view remembering that the chip with the highest power figures is not always the best for your particular application.

edit: and avoid roo systems at all costs, lets not even go there.

I think the first question was about basic chips the goose with the petrol injection in a hilux has himself to blame just do your homework mate.

any chip may cause issues on the yd25 it's few and far there are many happy and sad clients at the end of the day you bought on price and 307nm is still good torque for the price just keep the search up all the best

Dtuk here and yes the researching drives you to despair. A great aussie dollar and forum members discount made my mind up. Btw mine does not play with rail pressure just injector timing.

Thank you your posts where very informative and usefull.

Can you tell me if the Steinbauer actually achieves 20%?

Ian

Chip it in my 2011 d40 from almost new no dramas good power increase and just unplug it if you need any warranty work done

I'm running a bluespark well priced chip from uk. Serves its purpose and can be adjusted 9 stages. In those 9 stages you can adjust 50-75-100%. My cars under warranty, I just unplug for the service and its non detectable.
I can crank it right up and have from time to time. Speak very highly of a well priced different alternative.

Back