Which oil?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLSTX

Reaction score
Ok the long awaited wait is over. My DPF has taken it's rightful place in my shed where it will sit out of sight.

My question guys,
my service is due in 300km, now that I don't have to pay for low ash oil, I can start using regular oils. I only use Penrite, so what is every one else running? is there much of a difference between semi and full synthetic oils?

Last edited:
Ok the long awaited wait is over. My DPF has taken it's rightful place in my shed where it will sit out of sight.

My question guys,
my service is due in 300km, now that I don't have to pay for low ash oil, I can start using regular oils. I only use Penrite, so what is every one else running? is there much of a difference between semi and full synthetic oils?

I would be looking for a CI-4+ or CJ4 oil with a decent additives package.
The viscosity is up to you but most of the retail oils are 15w-40 and will work well in most conditions.

What is in the book for a YD25 without DPF is a good start.

A fully Synthetic API CF-4 or JASO DH-1 oil. On the viscosity side. A 5W-30~40 oil is the preferred spec.

The is some interesting reading here-> http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Particularly the part that states-
One of my readers found out when he went to buy oil for his (modern 4V common rail diesel) Nissan that they expressly prohibit the use of CG or higher rated oils. Nissan mandate that owners use CF oils in these engines. It's worth noting that the CF spec was already out of date when these engines were built but Nissan did not use the latest API spec because it wasn't good enough! The fact that API have dropped the CF tests/standard does not in any way improve the later oils that do not meet this standard.
In other words just because the last letter is higher it does not necessarily mean it's better for your particular engine requirements.

Yeah I'm going to keep it similar viscosity (had a chat with a good mechanic other day) Mechanic said yd25 engines are very sensative and don't always respond well to new fluids, so staying on the safe side, il still run 5W-30, but instead of enviro+ il just go for full synthetic. Cheers guys

Mechanic said yd25 engines are very sensative and don't always respond well to new fluids

Can you let us know what that really means ?..sensitive to a different brand ?
how and in what manner does the engine respond to a new fluid ?

Mechanic said yd25 engines are very sensative and don't always respond well to new fluids

Can you let us know what that really means ?..sensitive to a different brand ?
how and in what manner does the engine respond to a new fluid ?

Not my words. Just repeating what I have been told from a diesel mechanic who has worked on a few yd25 engines

Thoughts on this one?

Attachments

• 1622167_267150120135968_8697619122139284047_n.jpg
    1622167_267150120135968_8697619122139284047_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 108
Understand, but we need to question the words as they are cheap without any facts / data.

as to the Penrite..thats what their lube guide suggests.

Latest posts

Back