Winch install D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubamurph

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone have any feedback on the methods used to isolate a winch
when not in use?
I have read previous threads that mention using a 500a Battery isolation Switch.
Has anyone had any issues with these? Looking at something similar for myself as I have a wireless controller.

Was thinking of putting a remote switch in the cabin but no relays suitable for the ampage.

Anyone else come up with any other isolation methods?

Regards Murph

i've put a switch on the earth wire from the control box. no high amps to worry about. I also added a in cab control. saves me getting the controller out. works great

Some guys use a solenoid from a starter motor as an isolater for the feed to the control box

I prefer the 500A switch in the main positive line from the battery. Too easy to jury-rig a connection from the main live input to the winch itself if the live power's available at the control box.

It's the cheapest form of insurance against someone winching your own towbar up to the front of the vehicle.

you'd have to remove the bullbar to get at any part of the control box wires on mine.

Iv got a Tigerz11 and it came with an in-line isolator, you just twist it together and away you go. You dont need to mount it either which is great with a D40 where there is bugger all room. Have a this link Tigerz11.com.au

Thanks for the replies guys. Like the idea of a positive isolation so will probably go the 500A switch.
Will also look into the starter solenoid as that would be perfect for having a switch in the cab.

Regards Murph

When using the starter solenoid just grab one off a xf falcon from the wreckers, cheap as chips and that way you can have all your controls in the car, there have been times when iv gotten myself into a situation where I cant get out of the car and unless your passengers (if you have one) know exactly what there doing it can be dangerous

Like the look of those Blue sea solenoids but at $230 ish a pop I will go the
cheaper option for now.
Also like the inline isolators. Wonder if I can get one separately?

Regards Murph

Hi guys,

Anyone have any feedback on the methods used to isolate a winch
when not in use?
I have read previous threads that mention using a 500a Battery isolation Switch.
Has anyone had any issues with these? Looking at something similar for myself as I have a wireless controller.

Was thinking of putting a remote switch in the cabin but no relays suitable for the ampage.

Anyone else come up with any other isolation methods?

Regards Murph

Hey mate, I havent heard about a isolation switch on a winch, but I would put one on if you have a wireless controller.

I have a good mate that installed a Ironman winch with wireless control and we can operate it using our 2 way radios, because they thought it was a smart idea to tune the frequency for the wireless control to the same as a 40 channel 2 way.
So thats one to watch out for.
Also if you do put an isolation in, check how many CCA the winch draws when its under load so you arnt burning out the switch for puting the electrical system under extreme load. You may also consider puting it on a relay instead of running it through a massive switch.

I don't think they make relays that big - I've never (ever) seen one.

They DO make starter solenoids that can handle the current. The Navara draws over 500A when starting (thanks Jim) so you could employ one of those to remotely switch the winch on. Most winches draw 300-400A on full load so you're well within the solenoid's capacity.

If the Ironman winch uses a UHF CB frequency for wireless operation then I would never, ever use it in wireless mode. My winch (Aldi, probably from the same factory as the Ironman anyway) has both wireless and wired modes. Twice in recent times I've had to use the winch from the driver's seat and the cable runs up and over the bonnet, around the mirror and nicely into my hand without stretching anything.

I have found that there's a degree of lag between pressing & releasing the wireless buttons and the winch's response. I prefer a faster response, so I'm happy to lose my wireless control and would not seek it as a feature if I had to buy another winch.

Latest posts

Back