winch problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiffy21

Reaction score
hey guys I attempted to install my winch today and once it was all done I came across a big problem. when the winch is engaged it can only pull in the weight of the rope when there is any resistance the winch motor keeps spinning but the rope doesn't pull in. we had to pull the clutch apart and spin it around. can anyone tell me what the problem could be?

Even though the winch may say engaged it may not be completely engaged. Tried turning the handle some more to see if it clicks in or when you engage it pull the rope out and you should feel it click in then its engaged. Don't just turn the engagement handle and hit the button to winch the rope in.

Only trying to give ideas from when I installed the brothers winch.

tigerz 11. also just realised that when the winch is engaged it can still be pulled out as if free spooling and as said before can't take any weight on it but can take the weight of the rope and coil itself back up. just wondering if when I put it back together after rotating the clutch everything didn't line up. could that do it?

If you can unspool it, the clutch isn't engaged. The handle should turn 180 degrees - if you're only turning it 90 degrees, keep going a bit more. Once engaged, the drum shouldn't turn at all in either direction.

If the cable slides around the drum and the drum itself doesn't turn at all, then the cable is loose on the drum and not locked into place - you'll have to completely unspool it, engage the cable properly, wind it on 5 turns holding it by hand then give it some heavy weight (like another car) to tighten the cable on the drum.

the winch is definitely in the engaged setting because there is a clunk and the dial falls into position. going to take it off now and open it up

just took it apart and couldn't see anything wrong what a pain in the ass. time to take it back I think

Latest posts

Back