winches

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
none the less there is some great info in this thread, going to order a runva tomorrow.

From what i can see they seem like good units with decent warranty and the price isnt bad either.
Keen to see what you think of it in action.

After you mentioned the runva last night I did plenty of research today and it seems as though everyone with one is very happy with both performance and reliability. On my way home from work tomorrow I'm going to go pick one up. Should get time this weekend to install it, hopefully.

-Tyler

look what turned up today. took two weeks due to the container being delayed.
20130513_081005-688586193.jpg

got to fit it tomorrow night as we ar going to springbrook host farm on the weekend so I might get to use it! :)

bryan

Last edited:
Food for thought
years ago , all the cheap Chinese winches got a bad wrap from certain corners of the 4x4 world , now certain corners have financial interests in these products and all of a sudden they have become the ducks guts
my 2 cents worth is , do a little research on the one you are looking for , if your just like me a weekend wanderer , its probably a save , BUT , be prepared to cop it on the chin if it goes pair shaped , you have saved your dollars on the cheapie , sometimes you win , sometimes you loose

Food for thought
years ago , all the cheap Chinese winches got a bad wrap from certain corners of the 4x4 world , now certain corners have financial interests in these products and all of a sudden they have become the ducks guts
my 2 cents worth is , do a little research on the one you are looking for , if your just like me a weekend wanderer , its probably a save , BUT , be prepared to cop it on the chin if it goes pair shaped , you have saved your dollars on the cheapie , sometimes you win , sometimes you loose

I,ve said this before, but here goes again, the genuine WARN badged replacement motor for my winch has a made in china sticker on it, was disappointed when I spotted that

I recall the term "Jap crap" used in the past. Now if something is made in Japan, it is seen as premium quality. That said, a lot of their manufacturing is going off shore too.

Wonder if we will see the same happen in China? The difference is they have many more mouths to feed and will likely work for less for longer.

There are few things that make 'buying chinese' tricky.

A device can be made in China, but made to a design from the (for example) USA.

A device can be made in China, but made to a design from the (for example) USA, but made by a chinese firm with poor QA, so the end result is crap.

A device can be made in China, but made to a design from the (for example) USA, but made by a chinese firm with great QA, so the end result is great.

And so on....

Buying anything is a gamble these days.

There are few things that make 'buying chinese' tricky.

A device can be made in China, but made to a design from the (for example) USA.

A device can be made in China, but made to a design from the (for example) USA, but made by a chinese firm with poor QA, so the end result is crap.

A device can be made in China, but made to a design from the (for example) USA, but made by a chinese firm with great QA, so the end result is great.

And so on....

Buying anything is a gamble these days.

And then there's the almighty PROFIT,

I recall the term "Jap crap" used in the past. Now if something is made in Japan, it is seen as premium quality. That said, a lot of their manufacturing is going off shore too.

Wonder if we will see the same happen in China? The difference is they have many more mouths to feed and will likely work for less for longer.
I don't think the Japanese have ever really made much "crap" its likely a phrase some Americans came up with around the 60's and 70's when there was still lots of animosity towards Asians in general (WW2, Korea and Vietnam all fresh in peoples minds) and Japanese cars being imported to the states were (afaik anyway) of far superior quality to anything they themselves could come up with. So I could be wrong but I'd say its just a derogatory term that had about zero relevance to what it was actually intended for.

look what turned up today. took two weeks due to the container being delayed.
20130513_081005-688586193.jpg

got to fit it tomorrow night as we ar going to springbrook host farm on the weekend so I might get to use it! :)

bryan

Nice, I ended up its going with the 9500. I had to rotate the gearbox so the clutch lever is on the bottom. With it on top It hit this lip on the inside of the genuine nissan bar. It's easier to access down low too as I can get get my hand through the cut out on the bar (big hands) haha.

Runva do seem to be a great unit. They have a huge market over seas. They also supply different types of winches for industrial use not just 4wd winches. I'm happy I went with the runva.

-Tyler

If memory serves me correctly "Jap crap" was a legitimate term across a whole range of products. They did learn fast though and as has been pointed out make some really top notch stuff including cars and have been doing so for decades now.
Siringo is right there are a number of companies that ensure QA is up there so the products coming out the other end are good gear.

I've had warn , I can't justify the price of it , I've had TJM , and it was ok , this time I' ll try Runva , they currently have a special on an 11,000 lb unit with dynema for $ 650.00 , check out the main web site

I don't think the Japanese have ever really made much "crap".

They certainly did in the 50's & 60's. After WWII, the US helped them rebuild/create a manufacturing industry and the products were atrocious. However, the Japanese decided to do something about it and really got stuck into QA and started to produce the products that gave them their reputation today for high quality manufacturing.

The reputation for crap quality then went to Taiwan and has now moved onto China. As previously posted(this thread?), some of the Chinese manufacturers can do good quality, the others are still in the cheap mode. If ever they all decide to do good quality, it will be interesting times world wide.

Back