Zd30 woes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+ oil pump, timing chains, cam shafts, cam bearings, balance shaft bearings.

The motors a throw away.

I would still be taking it out and stripping it down anway. You will have to get it out either way. You might as well learn something from it, and you never know, perhaps you did manage to shut it down before too much is damaged. I doubt it, but you might be able to salvage quite a bit, or not. But you never ever know if you ... ok ok. You said you shut it down before it did... Chances are not good, but why not at least have a look.

Don't forget about the turbo. Running one for 4kms without oil would have more than likely stuffed it.

Sorry Rodney, you lost me. Apart from the chain driving the fuel pump being splash lubricated (i.e. the timing chain) I fail to see where the loss of oil affects the fuel pump. On the ZD30 being diesel its only lubricated by the fuel it is pumping. Things like injectors/fuel pump etc should be fine. But yes, the Turbo would be a slight worry. 4km's is plenty of time to get things plenty hot and sticky. Hoping for the best, plan for the worst. Thats all you can do...

Just noticed on the patrol 4x4 forum there is a young fella pulling apart x2 zd30 just to have a look and is selling parts ! If the tolerances are ok there is nothing wrong with using 2nd hand bits and pieces ! well that's what I'd be doing if the budgets tight. Cranks and cams can be ground , heads shaved and welded, sure you'll need new piston rings bearing etc but as the fellas here have said - at least you will know your motor and how well it's been done ! all the best !

Thanks heaps guys your help is really appreciated! I'll definitely look at that guys site as soon as I get in front of the PC. Is there any way to upload a video from an iPhone?

Mate best of luck.. everyone cocks up from time to time, I once filled my brothers petrol hilux full of diesel and we had to drain it there at the servo.

I'm with the other guys on pulling ut apart to learn a thing or two. Hopefully you've got a decent sized shed

I'm looking at buying a torque wrench and a quick read through these pages suggests a 1/2 in drive one is needed I had a Sid chrome one but lent it out. 3 years ago. Can anyone suggest where I can get one for under $150 and what should it read I.e pounds, kilos ?
Cheers

I earthed out my starter motor on my TD42 once while pulling the oil filters off, no oil in the motor, turned over half a crank!

After that i learnt to always undo the battery when changing oil, jusssst incase.

Not sure whether the electronic controlled fuel shuttoff would have prevented it from starting or not but still i nearly sh*t myself haha.

Hey Jim, a 3/8 inch drive one will be needed also, as I dont think you will get a 1/2 drive that will go low enough for all the timing cover etc bolts in to the alloy. Important they are all the same torque, and if you put just that little bit too much on.. you will strip the alloy threads on the plates in no time. Always a good excuse to collect more tools though. Never can have too many. You will find the manual has the required TQ in inch/pounds (Or ft/lbs, depending on the bolt, each diagram has a key for the numbers given), Nm, kg/m

buy a torque wrench for "pushbikes" also ! you will need that for the bolts under 10lb -spill lines etc etc the 1/2" ones only go down to about 30 lb !

hey Jimmy, hmmm sounds like cam/shim problem- you have fixed the oil filter cover I'm guessing and have oil running through it ? i'd be checking the oil pressure also ! take the rocker cover of it and have a look ! you might have broken a lobe off one of the cams ! If you have you will have bits floating around in there - stop running it until you get the cover off it and check ok !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393490011.049926.jpg I've come this far and still found nothing out of the ordinary next I'm gunna tackle the head I've been taking pics at every step. So between the pics and the workshop manual I should be ok putting it back together hopefully.

Last edited:
I have however come across some parts where the internals are caked in oil what's the best way to clean engine parts?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393490349.835246.jpg

Latest posts

Back