ZD30DDT turbo upgrade. Dyno print out and info added. Available monday.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

I was talking to a guy from AXT earlier about turbo upgrades and ATX have designed a kit.

Its $2500, I was talking to a guy and put him onto this forum so in the next few days we should have some more info and some dyno sheets.

Dave.

Yeah thats the one.

Old mate said its a direct bolt on, comes with new oil lines and is a water cooled turbo.

Dave.

Dear Dave,

Please find the attached Dyno Sheet.

This is our turbo upgrade, without any other tuning or any other modifications.

Simply, the power gain is attributed to much less backpressure, much cooler intake charge and much more rapid boost delivery.

With additional tuning, potentially well over 120RW KW is available..The main limiting factor is the fuel injection system not being able to provide enough fuel to keep up..

Boost response is much faster than the original unit. It is that fast that I have removed the variable vane unit from my own 3.0L Patrol and now use this same turbo…

The other MAJOR benefit is that the EGT’s have dropped well over 150DegC, simply by bolting the turbo on…Again this is due to the increase in air density and coolness, as well as the reduction in backpressure.

All our test vehicles have reported back with same or slightly better economy, which also goes with the more efficient turbo…

Regards,

Andrew

AXT TURBO PTY LTD

2-3, 175 Cheltenham Road

Dandenong, Victoria 3175

Australia

Phone : 03 9793 7740 / ( International ) +61 3 9793 7740

Fax : 03 9793 7745 / ( International )+61 3 9793 7745

Web : AXT Turbo Pty Ltd

Email : [email protected]

Will add dyno print out in a minute.

Dave.

Here we are.

Dave.

Attachments

• navara Dyno.jpg
    navara Dyno.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 487
question - how does a a water cooled turbo work? Have looked on the web link but their page doesn't seem to be working for me. Does it need an intercooler? cheers

question - how does a a water cooled turbo work? Have looked on the web link but their page doesn't seem to be working for me. Does it need an intercooler? cheers

Normally turbos are just oil cooled. A water cooled turbo also has a water jacket that is plumbed into the existing cooling system. The major advantage is that there is no need for a turbo timer - once the engine is shut off the water will continue to self-circulate through the cooling system, cooling the turbo and saving the oil from coking.

No intercooler required to make the water-cooled turbo work. But there is no performance gain from a water cooled turbo.

Andrew will be on here soon to answer questions.

Dylan should be talking to him today.

Dave.

dave....can you ask them how much difference does blocking off egr make with that turbo on?

Follow-up

Dave - did you get an answer for Tweake on the effect of EGR mod?

Also ? re the Dyno printout you posted.
Is this a simple comparison between the standard engine and a swap to the AXT turbo or have other mods been made such as exhaust etc.
I note they advise that exhaust and chip be done with the turbo replacement.

Thanks

Not sure mate, still gonna do it but have had some big weekends as of late so might have to wait till january.

Will give them a call again, Andrew was gonna join up and answer questions but I dont think he has yet as he was having trouble signing up.

Dave.

Another thing I am looking to pick up if I find one is a H233B out of a VG30E powered D22.

If I can get 400Nm of torque or more Ill be happy.

I am looking at Steinbauer chips aswell.

I want to keep it 100% reliable but just dont want to over stress it all.

Dave.

Normally turbos are just oil cooled. A water cooled turbo also has a water jacket that is plumbed into the existing cooling system. The major advantage is that there is no need for a turbo timer - once the engine is shut off the water will continue to self-circulate through the cooling system, cooling the turbo and saving the oil from coking.

No intercooler required to make the water-cooled turbo work. But there is no performance gain from a water cooled turbo.

note to anyone reading this!!!!!!!!!!! the part about a water jacket is true, the rest is shit,, that could cause you to prematurely stuff up your turbo /possibly engine.... you STILL require a turbo timer, or sit and let turbo spool down.... this fool thinks a turbo timer cools your turbo down LOL..... the impellors on turbos spin in excess of 60,000rpm, when you turn your engine off there is NO OIL PRESSURE,therefore the shaft sits there spinning dry ,result damaged turbo.... water will not SELF CIRCULATE if your engine is switched off , unless you have an electric pump on a timer ... just trying to save some poor innocent navara owner from doing something stupid from reading crap like this :devil::devil:

Mate, mabye you should go back and look at turbo basics. 99% of the time you turbo has already come to a safe running speed by the time the car has been turned off and with a bush bearing turbo it will again 99% of the time stop spinning as soon as you shut the engine off (the reason why they dont put turbo timers in standard cars. Yes mabye on a very large ball bearing turbo this may need a turbo timer but not on a standard bush bearing turbo.

And as for the water not circulating after it is switched off. Havent you ever heard of a little thing called CONVECTION. Here is a little link to explain it to you (Convection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Another "I know everything everyone else is a dickhead" post fourfoot? I am not a massively regular contributor here and even I have seen the pattern. If you are going to make inflammatory posts, at least be right about what you are posting.

Do you really reckon that turbo timers are to allow time for the shaft speed to drop away so the bearing does not go dry and get damaged by the still madly spinning shaft. If you have or know of a turbo that needs minutes of idle down time to avoid it fizzing it's bearing to destruction on shutdown I would like to see it. The wheels must be about ten feet in diameter to have enough energy to keep them spinning that long. I also guess that the turbo should have failed long long ago in my Pathfinder. It has NEVER had warm down time allowed for it unless it was loaded up prior to shutdown, back it into the garage, put it in park, switch it off. It has 170,000km on it now, when should I expect the turbo to fail?

Incidentally, the turbo on my track car makes a just audible noise from the turbo bearings as it winds to a stop on shutdown, I can tell you that roll to a stop and shut down versus letting it idle for several minutes (Which as a track car it gets if it has actually been doing laps) makes as good as no difference at all to the time it takes the turbo to stop on shutdown that you will never pick it.

"Water will not SELF CIRCULATE"

Never heard of the thermosyphon effect then?

On topic. Dave, out of curiosity (Particularly as I have sold my Nav) do you know what turbo they were fitting in the kit?

fourfoot64 is trolling again :( about time to ban the ****

the whole point of water cooled turbo's is that it soaks up the heat soak from the turbo. the water does actually circulate after the motor has stopped, just like a wetback to hot water cylinder on a fireplace.
however, especially if fitting after market turbo's, that the water pipes are fitted correctly otherwise it won't flow.

diesel turbo's run cooler than petrols which is why many diesel turbo's are oil cooled only. with water cooled added there is little need for a turbo timer.

personally i would forget the turbo timer and just fit a temp gauge to the turbo (which is fairly cheap). that way you can turn off when its cool enough.

When i asked a few shops last week about their turbo upgrade packs for the 3.0L TD, they said that ball bearing turbos are the biggest killer on a Diesel engine, apparantly they do not like Diesel oil as it is thicker.. Someone confirm or deny this?

Latest posts

Back