Turbo upgrade time

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few navs down here getting to 180 HP at the wheels with the garrett turbo...a guy i was chatting too in the U.K said by the measurements the garrett should do 200HP...for short bursts im pretty happy with mine...a long run and EGT'S are still to high(spool up is still average too) a BB conversion could be amazing tho.
Im pretty sure im up around the 180HP mark now...but thats only recorded with a Gtech and also with the torque app.pretty consistent readings tho....and also pretty spot on numbers when everything is turned off...ie 93 at the wheels.

Last edited:
That's really good stuff man. I'm just quite surprised that boost levels you're looking at such high Temps. The compressor map indicates some decent efficiencies at that pressure ratio. But I think cuz you run it up the full revs and that's where the turbo can't manage anymore?

The bb conversion would be quite incredible, well at the same time maybe a water jacket running thru will help cool things down.

On another note, I saw a post on bimmerforum where this guy did his own tuning using aem fic-8. His was a 330d. But it should work for us too. Because essentially he messed around with fuel rail pressure, boost pressure.
http://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...gement-systems/fuel-ignition-controller/fic-8

This water to air has been debated a lot with fellow engineering colleagues and we've kinda concluded some benefits to both systems.

Air-air intercooler:
Ultimately better cooling efficiency.
Less complexity
Less prone to failure
Lighter

Air-water charge cooler:
Better heat capacity - instantaneous cooling is better
Good when there's poorer air flow especially up front from bullbars,winches and spotties
Less pressure loss
Potential for putting ice

Well in the light of the complexity coupled with my laziness, I'm gonna just get a larger air to air.

I think im still on the air to air...as most of my driving is at speed..when i am in 4x4 i dont really push it anywhere near as much.
Im still probs going to wait untill i can see the performance really suffering with the stock cooler.

Also sam does you gt2056v not already have water cooling?
I pushed the nav a fair bit on the way home last night and saw 32psi mabee 33..might have to watch that....good run tho...she was pulling pretty hard up the hill in 4th

Wow! 32,33? That's awesome. Can't wait for my nav to pull hard with 33psi...

Not sure but kinda remember not seeing water piping, just oil. I've gotta check again..

Little update...my exhaust temp probe that was fitted pre turbo has decided to cook,crumble away and go thru the turbo exhaust side..its damaged the turbine wheel and the VNT nozzle ring.
I remove the turbo to diagnose and inspect the damage.and ive ended up replacing the nozzle ring with my older used garrett one with great success...for now.
Turbo upgrade is happening tho.
Back with more soon

Ouch indeed but its inspired me to upgrade. I think my probe did between 50-70 tho..possible need to be changed in half that to be safe when temps are above 700c..

Im currently looking at a GTX2860R
.talking with a few shops on options.they are anticipating spool issues..as most info is coming from patrol tuning.and the bloke still thinks they are laggy on a patrol...but the least laggy on a patrol...he said you need to throw a heap of fuel at it down low to get it too spool at a reasonable rate...not a issue with my setup but im thinking a little shot of NOS pre turbo spool could do the trick and wouldnt be as noticable as a soot cloud.its a might but it may need somthing just to get her over the 1-2 thou rev mark.

Still looking at my KKK BV50 here tho..its basically a copy of a gtb2260v
But im thinking its not enough...if im going to custom turbo id rather go all out and have the egt issue sorted and my soot levels back to stock looking.as im currently running all sorts of bad AFRs and EGTs but its all controlable via the go peddle.

I found myself a turbo balancing house near my office and I think I'm gonna go try out my turbo upgrade. Does anyone have a spare stock turbo lying around? I need a spare to work on the core design. Found some quality hybrid ceramic bearings which spin happily to 150000rpm.

Ive got my older garrett here and my damaged highflow...but the damaged highflow is still in service for now... could send you the garrett core or what ever you require.

Hey sam....you fitted a dwaes valve to yours didnt you? Im getting curious about this turbo i have....the impeller measures 43.30 at the top and 59.35 at the bottom....compaired to the gv2056v @ 41.52 top and bottom 55.95...its a bit bigger overall and the highflow gt2056v i believe is just a redesigned billit wheel of the same size.....might try it but it needs reclocking and a vac conversion....

The stock one would be great! I can pay for shipping charges.

Yes I have a dawes valve. It just reduces boost spikes to protect the turbo vanes and dpf

Sure I'll try to get some photos in tmr. But I absolutely can't feel a difference. Hehe. Started to think I bought a lemon

Here is your new core....its goint to be missing the VNT arm thats in the picture tho...if i use the BV50 i need to swap the arms over. uploadfromtaptalk1446270925841.jpg

Last edited:
Sure I'll try to get some photos in tmr. But I absolutely can't feel a difference. Hehe. Started to think I bought a lemon
Im more usimg it just to ease the transition from old to new...probably make initial setup easier and quicker....mabee, ill look into it

Latest posts

Back