Anyone been to the snow ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo

Reaction score
I am thinking of spending a couple of days at the snow with the family. Is there anything I need to do ? Never been to snow before. Do I need antifreeze ? Chains!!???
I don't plan on doing any exploring by car, just a drive up to snow fields, and maybe build a snowman :)

4x2 vehicles are required by law to carry chains at all times past a certain point on the road up the mountain. 4x4 vehicles are not required to carry chains however it is a very good idea. Ladder chains are inferior to diamond pattern chains but will suffice. Where are you going, Perisher or Thredbo? If Perisher, chances are you'll have to park your car overnight at Sawpit Creek and hitch a ride back up with someone. Bear that in mind. When parking the car overnight, don't put the handbrake on, the cable can freeze, though I've never seen it happen here. Your coolant should already have an anti-freeze, anti-boil, anti-scaling agent in it. You're aware there is a national park entry fee? That's all that occurs to me for now.

I saw something on a dvd the tother day that said you have to use alpine diesel down there too as the standard diesel doesnt handle the cold so well.

Alpine diesel ?? Hmmm, never heard of it. Answered my other two concerns, about chains and antifreeze. I'll probbaly stay in Cooma and drive up to perisher/smiggins for the day. Anyway thanks guys, I'll fill up at one of the local servos and ask about diesel and handbrake freezing :)

Summer diesel is like honey when it gets to the colder months and it makes it harder to start the thing. The servos automatically change round with the seasons. Just aim to have an empty tank by a servo of your choosing just out of Canberra, fill her up there, and you'll be right.

I forgot to mention you can hire chains from Jindabyne if you don't want to spend a bomb on a set of your own.

Don't worry about the handbrake cable freezing if you're not parking overnight above the snowline.

Have an awesome time up there. Best of luck.

Should be a good trip mate. I have never seen snow, so Ill have to do the same trip one day.

Dave.

I'm not really keen on seeing snow. More for my little girl, I promised her.
Anyway, thanks guys, I have enough information. I'll probably spend a week, the bulk of it in canberra. I really don't like cold weather.

For your girl warm clothes,gloves and boots are a must,you should be able to hire snow boots in Jindabyne but you will have to buy gloves.I reckon hire a tobaggan as well.
She will have a ball.

Back