Mikals D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikal52

Reaction score
Gday all,

New to the forum, and new to the 4wd scene :cheers!:

I haven't actually picked up my Navara yet, but it's owned by my father so I thought I might aswell start this thread now.

I'm soon to the proud owner of a 2004 D22 ST-R Navara, 3.0 TD motor. Approx 140'000 kms on it. Mods it currently has are, some size muddies??? hardcover, alloy bullbar, dvd player with amp and 6x9 speakers in rear. UHF radio.... Ummm that's all I know of right now.

My list of mods goes something like this, in this order of priority.

- 2" suspension lift (Ironman kit)
- 2" body lift
- Re-wire stereo as it's been done shitty by whoever did it initially
- Driving lights
- Safari snorkel
- New dvd player
- Deisel chip

Something along those lines anyway.

Firstly I'd like to hear peoples opinions on the Ironman suspension lift kit. I have read mixed reviews on them, but I think they should be fine for my purpose. I don't plan on towing and will rarely carry loads in the rear. It's going to be my weekend getaway, there are some challenging 4wd tracks around here so I just want to amke it capable of them.

These are the only 2 photos I have of the rig currently, this is from earlier this year after a cyclone, I borrowed it and went exploring with some mates across the country side..... It was after this that I knew I wanted to buy it off my dad. (Oh, and yes I washed it.... Took about 5+ hours :suicide2:)

PC191877.jpg

PC191879.jpg

Firstly can anyone tell me what size those tyres would be?

Secondly, any opinions/suggestions on my to do list are more than welcome!!

Cheers guys
Michael

Alright, have got prices and details on the suspension kits from Zordo, and I'll be ordering this next week sometime. Included will be.

2" Ironman suspension lift, including performance leaf springs, U bolts, bushes, greasable shackles greasable pins and 4 shocks.

And a 2" body lift kit.

Just a quick thanks to Zordo for steering me in the right direction and his quick response.

Hopefully see the rig lifted in a few weeks time.

Cheers
Michael

Nice navara man looks good dirty :),

you can have a look at the tyre size on the wall of the tyre should be something like 265/70/16 or 31/10.5/16 depending on the sytem the tyre manufacturer uses.

and from what im finding out with the zd30 id recommend putting an aftermarket intercooler on it before a chip.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a feeling it'll spend most of it's life dirty.. That's why I'm buying it afterall :)

Yeah I was just asking about the tyres as I can't see it to check at the moment, working overseas and wont be home for a few weeks...

The chip will be a long way down the line, but thanks for the heads up...

Michael

Have just made a deposit to Zordo for a 2" body lift, and I'm waiting for a postage quote for a 2" Ironman suspension lift, then I'll order that also....

Considering I haven't even bought the vehicle yet I don't think I'm doing too badly haha... I just really hope my dad doesn't get cold feet and decide he doesn't want to sell it to me lol...

Michael

Alrighty well I've now officially got the 2" suspension lift on it's way from Zordo....

Big thanks to John for being so helpful in deciding what I wanted, and alos offering phone assistance for any dramas I have while fitting the kit. :cheers!:

I'm home from work next Monday, so hoping the kit arrives during the week sometime and I'll begin fitting.... I'll also make sure I get some new photos of the rig when it's actually clean!

So updates will be coming as of next week :D

Cheers
Michael

Finally got around to giving the new rig a decent wash and getting out for a bit of exploring...

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

This lake was about an hour from Karratha, and I had no idea it even existed.... Thing was bloody huge!!

IMG_1303.jpg

Still waiting on the suspension lift, I'm hoping it arrives in the next day or so.... And planning on giving the body lift a go either today or doing suspension and body in 1 hit...

Also doing my first oil change/filter/fuel filter change today.... Any tips for someone new to the D22 scene??? I've been told to get a new factory sump plug washer from my Nissan dealer as they're a strange shape or something.....

Hopefully more pics to come of it lifted soon :)

Michael

Good pics mate.

The Silver comes up good clean.

Servicing, there easy.

Serviced other cars ? The 22 is no harder then anything else.

Just measuer the oil out though. I use a measuring jug.

Haha yeah looks alot nicer clean....

Service went fine, Oil filter is alot harder to get to than the old falcon ute though..... Other than that all good :)

A couple of small problems I found today though, the turbo is leaking a little oil (I've heard this is a fairly common issue???)

And the wheel alignment is way out!!!! I had felt a shudder at speeds and thought it was a build up of mud stuck inside the wheel.... But turn out the wheel alignment is so bad that the inside of the front right tyre is almost bald.... :(

So it'll go in for a new tyre and wheel alignment once I put the suspension in...

More pics to come once the real work begins :)

Michael

I reckon they are easy as! Half inch ratchet with mid size extension and bang you're there.
As for tubing leaking? How did you find this? Bit of oil in the intake pipe? Turbo is probably fine. But do yourself a favor and check the impeller has no excess movement before it's shreds itself and ends up in cylinder 2

^ What he said.

There are some spec's in the D22 section that work for my Nav to stop the tires flogging out.

Yeah I guess I wouldn't say it was hard, just different to what I'm used to... Glad I checked and unblocked the little drain hole under the filter before removing it though!!

It was just a small amount of oil on the intake of the turbo, I had a mechanic mate have a look and he said it should be fine, and was a fairly common issue on the Navaras he's worked on...

On another note, Got the 2" body lift installed yesterday!!! A little more difficult that I hoped for but lack of jacks/correct tools probably didn't help that matter...

But it's all in, today I'll be re mounting the bullbar and rear bar to suit. Then I'll take some pics :)

Something else arrived yesterday while we were doing the body lift.... So hopefully get that in today. Looks easy enough :D

IMG_7482.jpg

Pics will come of the body lift and completed lift in the next day or so...

Michael

Nice car, good to see you getting out and doing stuff with it.

If the oil is on the INSIDE of the turbocharger then it's from your crankcase ventilation. Fit a catch can, should reduce it at least, if it doesn't remove it altogether.

Got the suspension in on Thursday :) Along with the bullbar refit...

Only thing left to do is refit the rear bar, I'll get that done on Monday or something...

Everything was fairly simple with the suspension... EXCEPT for the pin out of one of the old springs being seized in, so a 9" grinder was used and alot of bad words to get that bastard out...

Also, when we wound up the torsion bars, the left side was able to wind up a good 10 - 20mm further than the right???? And the left side is sitting a tad higher than the right by I think 10mm or so... I understand it will all settle but I don't know why one torsion bar had more adjustment than the other, I thought they would have been set at the same position???

Anyway, got a few pics of the different stages of the lift....

Standard ride height

IMG_1391.jpg

2" body lift

IMG_2222.jpg

2" body and 2" Ironman lift installed :D :D :D

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

Very happy with the height it's sitting at now, took it out to test it all yesterday and was extremely happy with the results, hit some tracks that I've never seen before and when walking was honestly a bit worried about trying them on my first real 4wding trek.... But the big girl crawled over everything we stuck in front of her. Did still bottom out once and a bit of scrapage once or twice but I'll learn to judge the amount of clearance I have better in time

Also a massive thanks to John (Zordo) for his help, even from across Aus he pretty much gave me a 5 minute run down on how to fit the suspension, and what could possibly (and did) go wrong.... Excellent service and highly recommend him to anyone looking for 4wd parts.

Heading out again tomorrow so I'll try to get some action photos and chuck em up here.

Cheers
Michael

Looks heaps better mate what measurements did you end up with from the bottom of your rim to inside of guards?

I had a pin get stuck also when I did mine fun eh?

Latest posts

Back