Recent D22 Buyer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimoneous

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forums, and have recently purchased a 2006 D22 Dual Cab 3.0Ltr Diesel ST-R. I have been on a few 4wd trips, but have only ever driven my mates Navara once, and been passenger all the other times. So it was time for my to get rid of my speed hump grinding holden for something a bit more "practical".

I was interested in what mods people go for first when modding a standard Nav to be more suited for "medium" type 4wd'ing (as in, i don't plan on climbing vertical rock faces with it, but i'll be doing more than driving it on bumpy dirt tracks). The only mods as such it currently has is an ARB winch bullbar, and the Nissan factory snorkel. But i was wondering what should be done before it starts hitting any of the rough stuff.

Thanks in advance for reading, and commenting if you do too!! :santaclaus:

-Simon.

Welcome aboard!

The other guys will be better at guiding you on what to do with your new ride. Things like lift kits, exhaust upgrades, chips - there's a swag of things to do, but it comes down to a matter of needs. Starting with basic stuff like tyres (maybe a whole set of specific tyres, eg muds and A/Ts) and recovery points would get you on the road. You can go all the way and get a solid front axle, diff lockers - oh there's plenty to do!

It'll be fun, any way it goes.

Welcome mate.

Tyres will make it more capable.

But a vehicle is only as capable as the driver is.

Check out everyones Sig's, many items listed that will make you think.

Anyways enjoy the forum.

Dave.

Hi mate, welcome to the forums.

The snorkel and winch bar is a good start. I did rust protection straight away because I go on the beach, exhaust is also good to do, they breath a lot better.

Add a snatch strap and some shackles and know how to use them.
Thats about it. Go out and see for yourself depending on what you wish to tackle and what you will need from there.
Ours went straight from the dealer to the forest and it is now that I am looking at items that will be needed and used rather than just jewellery.
Came with winch bar and have since added winch with only a tree protector and shackles
ARB snatch strap
Still standard AT tyres
Pair of cheap spotlights from Supercheap that improve the factory lighting.
Cheapo car seat covers and rubber floor mats. Makes it easier to clean inside.
Pack of baby wipes to clean hands - learnt this last week after moving muddy, burnt timber off track.

Shopping list
OME Nitro charger sports shocks and Dakar leaves on order - no lift kit - to be fitted after xmas.
UHF radio - bought a pair of .5w handhelds for $69 for car to car for time being.
Raiden 12" chainsaw.
Basic toolkit with suitably sized spanners, hammer, Zip ties, Duct tape, shifter, pliers, screwdrivers.
ARB Sidesteps and side bars.
Cannopy rack
Some form of compressor to make tyre adjustments.

The list is endless but as Tony said its about balancing needs and wants. If you want to go through 3' deep bog holes or tackle steep rocky tracks then tyres and suspension should be on your list - See Joshy. If you just want to bump along moderate tracks and leave the rest to the extreme boys then look for items that will enhance your experience only and make life simpler like I am.
You have the basic ingredients already just find as much time as you can to get out there and if you find your vehicle inadequate for the situations you face there is always reverse gear or the chicken tracks around obstacles.

Seems like a good package right out of the box
http://www.navara.asia/sale/2047-d22-str-suspension-bullbar-driv-lights.html
minus the bar of course because you have one already - or take the lot and sell the bar on.

If there is one other thing I can add. Get to know your vehicle by doing whatever servicing, maintenance and repairs you are capable of. This includes just cleaning it. I come from a background of motorcycles and am fastidious in they're maintenance - including cleaning as it allows you to spot small problems before they become big ones.
Learn how to change your fluids, make adjustments, lubricate things such as bearings/ linkages / cables. Learn how to inspect the components of your vehicle and what to look for such as wheels, brakes, suspension, electrical, structural, fluid levels, etc etc. Even if your not capable of performing the maintenance and repair yourself at very least you can point your mechanic in the right direction on the next service.

Latest posts

Back