D40 2nd aux fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
Does any one know where i can source an auxilery fuel tank from (to be located where the spare tyre usually mounts under the tub) ?

In the next week or so, i will be having the factory tank replaced with a Brown + Davis 144 litre tank, it has already been ordered and should arrive sometime next week. I have enquired at Brown + Davis, they can do a custom tank, but would charge and arm and a leg (and probably a kidney too) for a custom system.

BUT,
I'm keen to get additional fuel load on board if possible so that on a long trip I dont have to muck around with carrying jerry cans.

I dont intend to normally drive around with the added weight of the extra fuel all the time, but i do travel insterstate a couple times per year - usually at the time when everyone else does, and i dont want to 'line-up' at service stations for fuel half way to sydney. I'm also making some plans for a trip up the Birdsville track probably about easter time next year - so the long fuel range would be mighty handy (but probably not entirely required).

Hey ther WoodyD40. don't suppose you have any docco on how to configure the second tank? I'm about to put in a second tank in my D21 on the passenger side as theres heaps of space and the tank came out of a 720 mounted there. I need the fuel line connections and filler options.

NOpe ..... no idea yet.

i figure once i can source a reasonably priced option, i'd be fully exploring the HOW part then. how it all fits together i mean, as different tanks might have totally different ways of hooking up.

Thanks for the info Ants, i have looked at that option - but as you say, its for the spanish model.

I'm actually considering having a custom tank built to inside the tub where i've got provision for 4 plastic jerry cans. I'm thinking that i can probably get an Aluminium custom tank built to fit there and get closer to 100 litres capacity (being a building designer, i reckon i can custom design a tank to get close to that size)

WIth the custom tank i'm thinking of doing, i'd have a seperate filler on the top of the tank, which means i'd have to lift the canopy awning in order to fill the tank. Then i'd have a tap system at the base which i can hook a hose upto, and then let gravity feed the fuel into the factory fuel filler location. I would then need to have a seperate locker to keep the hose which would have fuel residue in it.

WIth the custom tank, i'd need to pay for the raw materials - i've got someone who can do the 'folds' for free, and someone else who is happy to weld it all up and pressure test it. So it will cost me heaps less than any after market tank that is currently available. Also, the tank can be fully removeable - so i dont need to have it in all the time, only when doing longer trips (ie melbourne to brisvegas and return, or going up the birdsville track etc)

There is a company (whose name escapes me at the moment) who makes plastic fuel tanks just for that purpose - to install in the tray. All you need to do is syphon into the main tank. You don't get the convenience of all in one, but you do get the cost benefit of mass manufacture, and you get a removable tank when you don't need it.

Ants, i think there are few people that can supply the tanks your suggesting. If i was doing the draw system in the tub again, i'd work one of those tanks into my layout first then build everything else.

But, hindsight is a beautiful thing. I now have a given space to try to fit a suitable storage tank in - which means a custom tank is now the sensible thing to attempt, and also means I can decide what capacity I need, and not be stuck with what is commercially available.

You have given me a good idea though - to research the Poly Fuel tanks, work out HOW they drain to main tank (you said syphon), i'm hoping for a low drain point with a tap - but maybe a siphon hose with a priming bulb will be better. Better because there is not hole at a low point which could be cause for a leak down the track.

Hmmn .... thinking cap goes on now whilst i down a few red wines this weekend.

Not sure if you have a diesel or petrol, but 140L tank should get you 1000K's easily.

I'd use jerry cans as my first preference, or a fuel bladder. Personally I don't think it's worth the money, time and effort for a tank you'll rarely use.

Latest posts

Back