2.5L -vs- 3.0L Engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2003 ZD30, not a worry :) However I was reading in 4WD action recently and they had a comparison of a lot of different 4x4 ute engines like the gutlux 2.8L diesel and mitsushitti triton 3.2 and they also had our ZD30 and said that they have "under-engineered pistons". What the hell does that mean?

Yeah true haha but I was like surely they can't be unless that's the reason why the Patrol ZD30's kept going bang. From what I've heard, the Navara block is different to the Patrol one yes?

Not sure about the block but the big difference i do know about is in the electronics and that is what I have seen blamed most often for ZD30 hand grenades.

Like most deisel engines the ZD is inclined to haze oil out of the breathers and in the case of the Patrol it supposedly contaminated the air flow meter (Which is not fitted to the Navara version) and whacks the fuel metering, leading in turn to high EGT and "pop".

About the only other things I have seen blamed is the EGR filling the inlet menaifold with gunk, affecting airflow and increasing fuelling to ge tthe same power, raising the EGT and again "Pop" or problems with boost control leading to the same, but on my understanding of it, poor boost control is more annoying than destroctive on a deisel compared to a petrol where big boost spiked may lead to lean out and detonation and hols in pistons.

Hey guys whats the best set up to moniter the egt ? And what temps should i be watching for ?

Hey Dave, how much did the top mount cost, did you fit it your self and how much of a pain was it to fit?

Hi Pat, I missed this post, Better late than never hey? Cost was $1450.00 and i did fit it myself, Its not hard i had my youngest boy helping me and he's 13. Measuring and cutting the bonnet was probably the worst part, Went JD's auto paints in skipton street and they made up a spray can for me $20 i think and a can of top coat/clear about the same price, Couple of quick coats of each on the scoop and then i bolted it on and it looks good. All the brackets and pipes go on real easy. And the sound oh the sound i love it, Its not noisy but you can hear the turbo spooling and a low level growl as i'm guessing the air is passing through the cooler.

Latest posts

Back