2006 STX drive train whine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorty08

Reaction score
Gday, picked up my 2006 D40 STX today, just ticked over 100xxx k's, with full books, the thing is immaculate however there is a slight whine coming from the drive train some where on acceleration, my guess is the rear diff.

Has anyone on here had similar problems with this model? What's it worth to fix? Or is it easier to replace the whole diff?

I could probably put up with it as it not that loud but I know it not normal and its giving my the s#%ts.

TIA ����

Last edited:
Gday, picked up my 2006 D40 STX today, just ticked over 100xxx k's, with full books, the thing is immaculate however there is a slight whine coming from the drive train some where on acceleration, my guess is the rear diff.

Has anyone on here had similar problems with this model? What's it worth to fix? Or is it easier to replace the whole diff?

I could probably put up with it as it not that loud but I know it not normal and its giving my the s#%ts.

TIA ����

I haven't heard of specific drive-train whine with the Navaras. Never heard of a dead diff either. Are you 100% sure it's not tyres ? Other than that, it would be a matter of trying to isolate where the whine is coming from, which can be very challenging.

I'm certain it's not tyres, the noise goes away when I take my foot off the accelerator. It sounds like it's coming from the diff but I'm not a mechanic. All the oils should have been replaced in the major service at 80,000 k's. I'll get it booked in asap and see what they come up with.

So for those interested, I took my Nav to my mechanic today and he is certain that it's the crown wheel/pinion in the diff that's making the noise.

I'm not bloody happy, he said the previous owner may have done a bit of towing and that may have caused the noise. Either way I'm now up for a diff rebuild, can anyone recommend any businesses? (I'm guessing in melb, 2 hours away!)

What a great start hey ��

i have just done this in one of mine 95k on the clock never towed anything and it was a couple of broken teeth on one of the side gears and a worn pinion bearing. the crown wheel and pinion were fine.

Just have hunt on Ebay or whatever auction site is popular over there and look for a late model diff from a written-off ute. Just make sure they are the same ratio and bang it in. Will greatly reduce the mechanic's time and $$, and since they don't die very often, there should be a few to choose from.

Update: after speaking to the dealer where I brought it from it looks like they are going to do a full re build of the diff for me and supply a hire car whilst they have it (I live 2 hours away from the dealer!). They are going to confirm on Monday : )

Update: after speaking to the dealer where I brought it from it looks like they are going to do a full re build of the diff for me and supply a hire car whilst they have it (I live 2 hours away from the dealer!). They are going to confirm on Monday : )
Hell yeah. If you bought it from a dealer they have to warrant it anyway. Especially if it isn't even a full week since you've had it yet... hopefully they do a good job and not just try and dodgy it up...

hi any idea what it would cost if you had to pay for it. I have the same problem with 2012 stx550

I think parts alone are about $1300 for a new crown wheel and pinion, plus labour to fit so maybe another $400-$500

Latest posts

Back