2012/13 colorado

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know of a few places I've worked at that are going away from land cruisers in favor of 5 star ancap rated utes.

Was also at a site not long ago that replaced their fleet of hiluxs with Great Walls as a cost cutting exercise. i don't think that will pay off but, they are fingered already

i'm at a site now that the SSE and the likes drive around in their band new company vehicles because they "need" 5 star ancap rated vehicles to drive to site. yet we have some land cruises from the late 80's as our site vehicles, turns out we don't need the safety as much as them?

so i guess it all depends on the management and how much they have in their budgets and what floats their boats that week.

If the d40 had changed and was totaly different to my previous model i would of got a max, because they have a good rep especially the engines like all cars they look pretty average when standed, A builder dropped off some matirials today and he said he is only getting 450k,s out of one tank in his new colarado around 14.5 per hundred he said

any car thats legally registered in australia has to comply with several safety conditions
if the car is legally registered and roadworthy the employer has more than met his obligations to supply a "SAFE" car
if the said vehicle is used on ANY worksite, its deemed safe as long as it complies to site specific guidelines,ie mine cars with flashing lights and flags ect
the brand of car means nothing
my 2 cents :cheers:

So why are multi billion dollar companies insisting on 5 star ancap rated vehicles?

Its why the 70 series is being shelved by ~2016 its not safe enough for a large portion of the target market even if it shits all over a hilux as far as 4x4's and site vehicles go a hilux at least can and will be made 5 star ancap rated.

Damx's and the Colorado run different engines now.

Colorado run's a VM engine and the Dmax run's the 4JJ1-TC engine.

The Colorado engine looks better on paper, but I'll take Isuzu's reliability any day.

Like i said previously problems are starting with the colarado when used for towing anything heavy a fellow on the caravan forum i spoke to has endless trouble with the auto he is pulling just under 3t how do they justify 3.5t ? in a perfect world we all would drive 70 series :driver:

The Colorado engine looks better on paper

Yeah but being on paper isn't a great advertisement. I didn't mind the look of the previous model Dmax on paper until I saw one the other day with an ARB bar on it and the bar makes it look like they extended the front end 12 inches, reminded me of Steve Martin in Roxanne.

Mind you this ute had the works, ARB rear bar that didn't look like it fitted properly, ARB steps that had a shine on them like the queens cutlery and the poxy steel wheels, but the best part was the flame decals the idiot owner had stuck across the bottom of the windscreen. This ute was truly tricked and ready to go, I'm just not sure where it was going.

Like i said previously problems are starting with the colarado when used for towing anything heavy a fellow on the caravan forum i spoke to has endless trouble with the auto he is pulling just under 3t how do they justify 3.5t ? in a perfect world we all would drive 70 series :driver:

Like I said I think a few pages back (might have been another thread though) they set their towing up so you must remove weight you can carry in the car the more you tow ie: your GVM might be 2800KG with a max combined of 5600KG assuming the vehicle weight is about 2000KG that gives you your 3500kg tow capacity along with 100kg for the driver and 1/4 tank of fuel. Nissan,Toyota and a few others apply this rule with a common sense approach though and assume people will inevitably have luggage and need more than 1/4 tank of fuel so they lower their tow rating so its the GVM plus max tow rating which equals max combined weight. Which leaves you usually with about ~700kg to play with as far as dynamic load on the vehicle goes (passengers, bags, fuel ect).

The advantage patrols and cruisers have is their max combined weights are usually in excess of 6000KG so carrying a load and towing 3T is not a problem (plus when you have awesome motors like the 1HD and TD42 it makes them excellent tow vehicles.

The 1HDFTE makes a good tow motor, the TD42 usually start getting hot at the sight of a hill.

I'd take a TB48DE powered GU any day over a TD42. Sure they use more fuel, but the TD42 isn't what I'd call efficient. I've heard of countless people getting 16L per 100km's out of the TD42.

The TB48DE doesn't use that much more.

Latest posts

Back