4WD engage issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty_74

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got back from a few days up the beach and seem to be having a few issues with the engaging/disengaging of 4WD. When I select 4HI and wait for the symbol to stop flashing and showing that 4 wheels are locked in, if I accelerate the front wheels symbol starts flashing like it's trying to engage but it is still all locked in, if I ease off the gas all four wheel symbols are lit.
I also had a little trouble disengaging from 4LO (on soft sand), tried reversing and shifting the gears to Neutral and Park (while stationary), then the wheel symbols disappeared and the yellow 4WD light came on briefly, went off and then it came out of low range.
I've been on the beach quite a few times now and haven't had this happen before, just wondering if anyone knows what could be going on and if something is about to go, my warranty also runs out at the end of this year, any feedback is appreciated.

regards
Arty

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was having 4wd engagement issues, not sure if his are exactly the same as yours but his was going in for a service today and he was going to ask them about it so if he offers up an answer I'll remind him of this post if he hasn't seen it or if he's being ignorant and not answering it.

Thanks Krafty, anyone else with any suggestions. Will be calling Nissan on Monday and let you know the outcome.

I had major issues and just had to put a new (2nd hand actually) 4wd control unit. it's a plug and play thing if this is the problem for you. It took my mechanic 5 hours to find the problem after Nissan had no idea. A few things that stood out as symptoms though was the 4wd indicator flashing constanlty, jerky gear changing (for auto model) and unresponsive actuator resulting in being stuck in what ever mode it was in last. Apparently there are many things can go wrong with the 4wd control unit computer so symptoms may vary.

Hey Art, have you read the thread "stuck in 4low"?
I wonder if you went through water?
Have you tried a reset? Disconnect the battery - terminal and step on the brake pedal to use the remaining power then reconnect battery.

Reason for my thinking, my elect windows were confused and a reset fixed it.

Hey Art, have you read the thread "stuck in 4low"?
I wonder if you went through water?
Have you tried a reset? Disconnect the battery - terminal and step on the brake pedal to use the remaining power then reconnect battery.

Reason for my thinking, my elect windows were confused and a reset fixed it.

Yes I've read the thread about stuck in 4 low and I haven't been through water, but I think I'll try a reset though.
It's weird, why would the 4wd indicator flash when it is actually engaged in 4 HI, maybe a reset will fix this.

mine does it, and i have had the clutch replaced with a aftermarket exceedy clutch and a normal flywheel, it only started to happen whent he clutch was on its way out and now is stuck doing this, the 4wd light will stay on or it will flash the little fourby in the dash with no wheels ingaged best way to describe it....

It seems more like a sensor thing, could a reset do the job????
Seems too simple, but often it can be a simple fix?????

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was having 4wd engagement issues, not sure if his are exactly the same as yours but his was going in for a service today and he was going to ask them about it so if he offers up an answer I'll remind him of this post if he hasn't seen it or if he's being ignorant and not answering it.

Unfortunately it never went in for said service, so is now well overdue. Oh and still has 4WD engagment issues.

My issues are
1. 4HI - drivetrain indicator continuously flashes, seems to engage 4WD but doesn't acknowlegde it on dash.
2. 4LO - As soon as 4LO is selected, 4WD indicator on dash completely vanishes. 4WD warning light comes on and stays on until car is switched off and reverts back to 2WD.

I have checked and cleaned all relays i could find, visually inspected any sensors i could find. Will try to get it into Nissan this week (if feel a rip off coming or a waste of time and money with no solution), i am confident they will be able to fix it. :sarcastic:

Fix the problem with the car or fix the problem with your bank account where you have money and they don't

Well I hope Nissan down that way are better than Holden, in 08 when the Old man's Crewwie was having a few issues we took the thing to that big Holden dealer on the just north of town and he claimed it was going to take 5 hours to plug the ECU in and find out what the error was, a one off error that hadn't occurred in 2000ks and appeared once more as we headed back across the Nullarbor (in the exact same spot too) and Ceduna Holden took 30 seconds to tell us the error.

Yes holden, a work mate had electronic issues with a Astra or something, massive quote, was this n that more and turned out to be a battery. An auto elect found it....

The old mans turned out to be a glitch, ECU was reading the water temp as -41C. The first time it happened we were in the middle of the Nullarbor and it was 40C on my dash read out but for some reason the Holden ECU claimed negative water figures. Can only imagine what the dealer in WA wanted to charge for 5 hours to come up with the same response.

Unfortunately it never went in for said service, so is now well overdue. Oh and still has 4WD engagment issues.

My issues are
1. 4HI - drivetrain indicator continuously flashes, seems to engage 4WD but doesn't acknowlegde it on dash.
2. 4LO - As soon as 4LO is selected, 4WD indicator on dash completely vanishes. 4WD warning light comes on and stays on until car is switched off and reverts back to 2WD.

I have checked and cleaned all relays i could find, visually inspected any sensors i could find. Will try to get it into Nissan this week (if feel a rip off coming or a waste of time and money with no solution), i am confident they will be able to fix it. :sarcastic:

That's pretty much what my issues are Biscuits, probably not as bad though as the last beach trip was the first time it happened. Did your's happen slowly over a period of time?

I rang Nissan this afternoon as the car is still under warranty and said they would need it for a day to have a look at it, aaaargh I've only had the car for a year and a half and it's already been back to them 4 times for various things!

Arty

Back