4WD engage issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The three switchwes on the gearbox are most likely the cause.

Look at this post on the UK forum;
Nissan-Navara.net • Login

Thanks heaps for that link! There is a good chance that this will fix my problem, will get underneath when I get time and check them out, will report back with findings.

I wonder why there is nothing on this forum about it..... or is there?
Not a common problem maybe

It will be easy if it's still under warranty, otherwise whatever the cost of these switches are, replacement seems pretty straight forward.

It requires the removal of the 3 switches on the transfer case and replaced with new ones, the guys in the UK are having problems with moisture entering the switches and corroding the internals and most of them aren't doing water crossings just water spray from wet roads I gather. From what I have read the switches fitted to the later vehicles are more water proof.
Yet another Nissan fault......

Will be looking into this tomorrow, i'm on mobile 2G at the moment. So can't load UK site.

Is it an easy fix?

Was going to cut and paste the post for you but the UK website has died for me, stay tuned if you can and I'll see what I can get.

Bit too much to cut and paste and there is pics. Suppose I could always save the page and send it you or something Biscuits but it wont happen until tomorrow.

From Navara.net forum

"My 4wd lights on my dash keep flashing when using 4WD, So thought I would change the transfer box oil and check the switches. Oil was looking a bit brown.

Now the switches, using a multimeter the grey load switch on its own seems to work when pushed half way down, then goes intermintant when pushed further?

The black one seems also did not give a reading, But I have a new one off ebay for £15 reading when not pushed in, then switches off when pushed.

Now the Grey one next to the black above I cant get any reading at all pushed in or not?? soaking in WD40 and contact cleaner still nothing

So I decided to open up the black switch as I had a new one!

Here's the new one

Now to open the old one
First off I cut the collar all the way around with a hack saw at the top of the nut just down to the plastic beneath

It pulls apart easy and this is all that is inside, a spring and a contact and how much do nissan want for these!!!!
notice the black gunk

THis is the bugger causing the problem the contact was all corroded

Cleaned up a bit bit and it worked fine once re-assembled, you can see the corrosion

I think the water is entering these switches not from the transfer box end but from the outside, the plastic is not sealed in any way to the nut! so water can easily get in off road spray etc

Switch works perfect now and can be re-assembled easily using areldite to keep in place, take that Nissan!!

So I am now going to do the same to the 2 grey switches

matt workman Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Posts: 38 well hows things just to ask you do you think i could be having the same problem when going on a long trip three hours or more driving my 4wd light comes on and the small picture goes of on the dash i can put it back to normal when i stop put it in four low and switch it back to two wheel drive

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Centurion

Right just done the two grey ones both in a bad way with corrosion, one in particular was so bad one of the legs of the contact had coroded away! Luckly I have a spare from the black one picture above.

Both cleaned up now work perfectly on a meter! How on earth can nissan Charge £150+VAT for 3 these!!! must cost about 50p to make for a bit of plastic, a spring, contact and a nut.

It is completely point less trying to squirt WD40 in these if you have a problem with 4WD as there is a rubber seal from the transfer box end that wont let WD40 enter the switch. If you dont want to do what I did you could drill a tiny hole in the side of plastic squirt WD40 in there and re-seal with silicone. Mine were too far gone for that.

Lil'Trucker! Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Location: West London/Bucks border Nice one mate, i'll sticky it

Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Centurion

Location: kent Cheers mate, they really are so simple inside and an easy DIY repair and if you have fitted new ones its worth smearing silicone selant around where the plastic enters the nut.

Are these switches purley just for the lights on the dash to go on and off?

I know the black one is a neutral switch so must be for low range im guessing the other two are just for the dash display

sambuca2907 Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Serious Contributor - Much Respect!

Posts: 31 Hey Space - where did you say you got the 4wd switch from?? Ebay??

I need to change mine out as i have this same problem - or do you think just a cut open and clean and re-assemble would solve the problem?

Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 am

Settling In

Location: sutton on sea I got 1 from eBay for £15 & the other 2 from Nissan Louth £114 including vat

space Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Centurion

Hey Space - where did you say you got the 4wd switch from?? Ebay??

I need to change mine out as i have this same problem - or do you think just a cut open and clean and re-assemble would solve the problem?

I only got hold of one off ebay, the other 2 I cut open and cleand up, easy

martstruck Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Posts: 5 Excellent news,how do i find them? is it easy,many tahnks all you guys that submitted info etc.

IRsnuff247 Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside one
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Posts: 11 Just got this problem myself today, 4WD light on constant and small graphic showing front and rear axles on the LCD display disappears. All works fine if I switch into 4H and back into 2H, no funny noises and nothing unexpected so I suspect it could be the switches. I'm due to change the transfer box oil so I'll do this and replace the switches for new units if I find them on ebay or elsewhere. Are the switches easily accessible before I go crawling around?

Last edited:
Oops, tried to copy and paste from my saved Word file, a bit of a jumble but you get the idea, there are supposed to be pictures as well

I didn't read it so I dunno but can you do it in front of a camera, I wouldn't mind seeing what happens :big_smile:

So, if i take these switches out will oil piss everywhere?

Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside onePosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Will the transmission leak oil?

Post subject: Re: 4WD Switches pics of inside onePosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Centurion

No they can be removed without losing oil then run a multimeter across them while pushing the switch to find the duff one

Last edited:
I can't think of any brand names right now but there are a few products out there that you spray on the nut and it freezes the steel. Add WD40 and the contraction and expansion of the steel from the freezing process frees up the nut and the WD40 is able to penetrate further. It's not very expensive compared the the reletaive repair costs. I saw it at my local tool shop a few months back. Apparently it does almost as good a job as heating the nut and bolt with an Oxy without the risk of melting everything around it.

Last edited:
Okay, the car went back to Nissan yesterday for a warranty claim (another) to look at my 4WD engage issues and they only had to replace the "Wait Detection Switch" on the transfer case and all good now, strange name for a switch. It's the switch on its own at the back of the TC, there are also 2 x switches side by side towards the front of the TC which weren't needed to be replaced. Hope this helps someone.

Mine are stuck hard and one has started rounding off the nut. So i am lost for ideas of how to get it out of transfer case.

Nizzbits has the switches and they are cheap, just can't get mine out.

Boo Yah!

The ultratune man loosened up the switch (nut) which was starting to round off. Just threw it on a multi-meter. Absolutely rooted. does not change state at all.

Am a happy camper as i already bit the bullet and ordered a switch from Nizzbits yesterday. Will hopefully arrive by Friday and solve my problem

Switch number : 32006X

Latest posts

Back