4WD System's Front Lokka in a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joe have you driven in 4wd high on gravel roads? i know i mostly just use 2wd but if a little muddy and slippery 4wd is nice to have.. i'd like to know your thoughts on the non-low driving as i know they rock for low range stuff. thanks

Gonzo, that would have been me for sure, my girlfriend lives at wakerley and I'm always around that area and those shops.

I just got back from a weekend at LCMP and the lokka went brilliantly again. Soo much traction, Woznme, I used 4H a bit while I was there and on the way home up to the jimna tower as it was wet and slippery and I was towing a trailer. The lokka feels tighter in steering and straightens up a bit but nothing that I didnt get use to and definately not dangerous or scary at all. After disengaging 4WD the lokka cant be noticed at all. Hope this helps a little.

Sweet ....!! I'm Going up to LCMP on the 25/26th couple of mates are Competing. I'm just camping and drinking....!!

D22 front lokka

Hi 180%JOE, just finished putting the lokka in - used your instruction so much - thanks

Hey mate, great write up, Im thinking of buying one now too, would like to hear how it goes on sand, ive got mud tyres and so much crap bolted onto the back that beach runs always go the same way, back end trying to dig down which means the motor is working its balls off the whole time. When the car was nice and light and on all terrains I used to float over the sand but now on the same beaches its a nightmare so hopefully if I go back to all terrains and put a lokka in things will get better. Once again, great write up.

I just put a lock-right (same design as lokka) in the front of my patrol and it has made a huge difference when driving through rocky terrain and big ruts. Basically drives the same in sand as both wheels are getting equal traction anyway, gadget I would get all terrains first and get those tyre pressures down!

They can tend to under steer a little when taking off with a heavy foot at full lock on soft sand, otherwise I cant even tell its there, except for the added ability on everything else!

From my trips to straddy and fraser I can say that the lokka dosen't give you too much extra in traction when in soft sand. It's not going to help you as much as letting down tyre pressure.

Hey Joe, just wondering if you could give us an update on how your lokka is going? Im just wondering if they do any damage to the diff as time goes on?Thanks

Hi guys, the lokka has been in for a while now and I can honestly say that I've had no problems with it what so ever! I went out to scenic rim with the other forum guys not too long ago and it convinced a lot of guys how good an auto lokka can be compared to a standard navara.

hey 180joe, just a quick question. when doing tight turns with the lokka engaged in 4L or 4H does the wheel with resistance disengage and turn freely or what does it do? im jsut worried bout it binding up and snapping a cv.

cheers
Rusty

while power is being applied to the diff in 4L and 4H it doesn't disengage, if you back off enough it can overrun and turn. It is best to just avoid using 4wd on any surface that has high traction and just shift up to 2wd and it will spin easy as and to be honest i can't feel i even have a lokka there in 2wd with hubs locked. once on to dirt and etc just shift back into 4wd if you want and the tyre can just slip on the surface to prevent wind up. You can certainly feel the car gripping in and making the tyres slip to release pressure on gravel roads doing a u-turn. Oh and if you are worried out the clicking, i can't even hear it unless i'm half hanging out the window while turning.

I installed my lokka a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Joe it was handy to have your writeup to use along side the instructions they sent. Things like being careful to avoid snapping bolts like you did were really appreciated. I do have a few thoughts of my own though.

Firstly I didn't buy a dial indicator as unless you are removing the crown wheel or pinion your backlash won't change as long as you mark everything and put them back the same. Inside my dif all the factory markings were still clearly visible which made it real easy.

Secondly I wasn't able to get within spec with the factory thrust washers, after calling Tom from 4wd systems, He was able to supply some at a decent price at the width i required. He was surprised as the First batch they got needed new thrust washers but this new batch was meant to be be spot on without changing washers. Ended up with a 0.155' using new washers.

I actually had to do the job twice as i needed the ute while waiting for new washers, first time took me 4 hours but 2nd time got it done in 2.5 hours but i had my bro come over to help lift the diff back up. It would be very hard to that by yourself, good work Joe to lift that back in by yourself!! Mind you i used air tools so it was fast to remove and redo bolts so i saved a lot of time there.

Joe, thanks for putting all the torque specs there as the instructions they sent don't list them all and it helped.

It is quite a stright forward job guys so have a crack at it yourself, its great fun working on your baby and you know the job is done right. Next is an air locker for the rear lol......

Last edited:
Hey Al, I've been away for a while and just checked some posts. Sorry I didn't get your message sooner. The washers came with the whole package and worked out perfect. I can honestly say have a mate help with the whole install so much easier.

The biggest thing with auto lockas is you keep a constant speed when turning.
Joe you should know this as 4wd fire trucks have locka's in the rear and when going around round abouts and tight corners to keep a constant speed when doing it or you get a bunny hop affect.I know we are talking about front locka's but the theory is the same

No probs Joe, all worked out fine after i got the thinner washers. I am very surprised how quiet its operation is. Its a great piece of gear! I just gotta get used to the feeling on the wheel when it is locked. Another thing I used some molykote assembly grease when i put it together (love that stuff and use it on everything i put together) for the first time even though i thought that was pointless. Sure as shit it was all completely disolved when i pulled it apart again. Wouldn't matter what grease you use either, oil will disolve it quickly anyway. 2nd time i didn't bother greasing it.

Last edited:
Hi 180% Joe, terrific write up re Lokka. Can you tell me if you can get power to the ground on one wheel only, if the other is not touching the ground please. Maybe someone can tell me also whether limited slip diffs in 2010 D40 should give power to one wheel on ground, when other is in air, as thats what is happening in my case. Any and all ideas appretiated. RPM

Hi rpm, that is pretty much exactly what any diff lock is used for. It locks the diff so that both wheels turn together at the same rate, when one wheel is raised off the ground the other one still has power and the truck can keep moving. Otherwise without a locker power gets transferred to the wheel off the ground and the wheel touching won't move at all.

Back