4WD System's Front Lokka in a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thtas got a nice whistle to it boosted what have you done to get that just the zorst or something more

Awesome write up Joe. Very detailed and the pics are gonna be handy.

2yrs on, how is the lokka going now?

Alright guys Ive run into a bit of a problem while trying to remove the diff. Ive removed the bolts through the rear cross member as well as the four in the front cross member. The issue is that the front cross member appears to be held in by structure they are bolted to. From what I can see there is actually material below them which is stopping if from being lowered.

Is there something simple which I have missed?

Just in case what I said earlier was a bit unclear, heres a photo of the bit im talking about

e138af3b-c21d-427b-8f8c-79419a60838d_zps2bd0b976.jpg

The crossmember is supported on both sides and so cant be dropped....... I can see the same thing in joes photos though so I have no idea how Im supposed to get around this without removing some of the suspension :s

Hi vh202. That is caused by hitting the crossmember while 4wding. I had the same problem when I went to install mine. You need to bend it back to normal like the other side in your pic.

Also thanks everyone, I can honestly say I have had zero issues in two years with this lokka. Best mod ever!
I recently helped a friend install a lokka in his navara as well. I dropped the install time to 4 hours this time as it was straight forward with no problems... although I had to refer back to my write up as I did mine so long ago :)

Thanks for the advice Joe, I was confused as both sides were dinged up. Looking at the bar now it is bashed up all along so im guessing the previous owner hit it a bit. Also my right lower control arm has been replaced at some stage so Im assuming it had been damaged which might explain some things.

Anyway I have it all back together now, the diff unlocks but doesn't seem to do so very easily. Also it makes a massive ticking noise. I did the tests before putting any oil in though so maybe that was the reason. Will be able to test it out tomorrow hopefully!

Had some issues putting the axle retainer nut in as the splines did not want to align with what was in the lokka. Anyway did some repair work with the dremel making my own grooves and eventually got the thing to fit.

All sweet from there on!

Hey Nathan. To this day I've never had a problem with the lokka and after just completing cape York I can't recommended it enough.

Its been in for four years so roughly 80000+ kms. No problems with it ever. Been hard 4wding a lot with it and all good.

Its been in for four years so roughly 80000+ kms. No problems with it ever. Been hard 4wding a lot with it and all good.

Thats a good wrap mate, and god news for who ever wins the Lokka in the Muster Raffle.

I have a mate that has fitted one in every 4WD he ever buys and has never had an issue and i cant believe how much they transform them, he mostly buys old LN106 type Hilux's and with the solid axle combined with the LOKKA they will climb just about anything.

well i finished fitting my lokka today.

it was quite straight forward, these instructions making things very easy, its also quite helpful to know bolt sizes and torque specs straight up.

hardest bit was getting the diff assembly in and out of the truck but i did manage to do it all on my own so its possible, i used 3 jacks and supporting the diff by the x-members sitting on planks of timber while manoeuvring it into position.

i took the truck for a run in 2wd with the hubs locked and at first i couldn't hear the diff clicking (unlocking) it felt completely normal. eventually i did hear the clicking but it was barely noticeable.

i then i took it for a drive on a grassy area and put it into 4hi, i felt no real difference at all compared to normal 4wd, steering felt normal and i couldn't hear any clicking when turning.
steering did self centre pretty quickly when i let go of the wheel.

so i didn't notice any negatives at all.

it will be interesting so see how it goes when i head off road.

Back