4WD System's Front Lokka in a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey all, i'm gonna install my lokka soon, so i've taken all of Joe's write-up (with his pictures) and compiled it into a PDF file so you can print and make it easier to DIY. save you having to run to and from the computer to check the next step, etc.

The write-up should be used in conjunction with the instructions provided by 4WDsystems.

pm me if you're keen for a copy.

Last edited:
There is a few things you don't need to do in Joes writeup, namely the dial indicator and measuring the backlash. Just be sure to not remove the crownwheel and you don't need to reset the backlash at all.

There is a few things you don't need to do in Joes writeup, namely the dial indicator and measuring the backlash. Just be sure to not remove the crownwheel and you don't need to reset the backlash at all.

yeah, i remember you telling me this, so i've conveniently left that picture out...

Hey Guys.....

I've got Front & Rear Auto Lockers in my little Vitara..... Having the rear is great offroad. It allows me to go that much further in 2WD, but onroad it is a PITA, especially in tight spots like carparks, etc. Roundabouts have never been a real problem as the little vitara doesn't have that much power to be a problem.

The Front is great, but I have broken a couple of CV's fairly easily but the CV's may have been stressed b4 and since replacing them, I haven't had a problem to date. I did learn a few things from the breakage.... 1 being when 4wdriving in tight corners, be careful not to apply too much pressure on the CV, try and reverse a bit and straighten up a bit to relieve some of the tight angle/stress on the CV. Rock crawling is another situation where u need to be a little careful on how much pressure u put on your CV's....Always be mindful of your CV angles (ie: Droop and turn angle) when applying power....

I don't know how strong the Navara CV's are (they're obviously stronger than Vitara CV's) but I know it's something u don't want to have to do on a regular basis....

just my thoughts though.....
rob
that may have

I fitted my lokka today, big thankyou to joshman for the pdf format and a very big thankyou to joe for this thread.

I had the same problem as Al and had to have two goes at it because of the thrust washer thickness.Also read foxbats piccy test thread for a bit of info.

My nissan washers are 0.9mm and gave me no minimum clearance.4wd systems sent me some thinner ones but they were barely thinner than my originals so still no good. While I was waiting for them I machined up some out of 0.6mm and 0.7mm s/s sheet at work. I ended up using my 0.6mm washers for perfect clearance.
You need to be prepared for this horror. Choices are refit everything and have another go later like I did, or park the car up in pieces for a while, or drive around with diff, cv joints, front drive shaft etc removed, or have access to thinner washers before you start.
All up though the job wasnt too hard and im looking forward too seeing how it goes.

No problems Charlie, this is exactly why I did the write up. It's soo much easier with directions/ pics.

Does anyone have their lokka in action? Would be good to see some vids!

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but will the rear diff lock have a way to switch it off and on? Similiar to locking the hubs?

Or are they permanently locked once fitted?

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but will the rear diff lock have a way to switch it off and on? Similiar to locking the hubs?

Or are they permanently locked once fitted?

There are 3 basic types of lockers Thom.

Air-lockers are locked by pumping air from a compressor through a line and can be switched on and off.

E-Lockers are locked by magnets activated by electric current and can be switched on and off.

Auto lokkas/Detroit Lockers attempt to lock themselves and unlock themselves depending upon the traction present at each wheel. That is to say they will lock when needed. These cannot be switched on and off but they will 'auto unlock' on hard surfaces. There can be some handling issues caused when you fit them to the rear diff which is why you more commonly see this sort of locker fitted to the front diff.

Latest posts

Back