Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
superiorcruiser did the right thing and added more diesel. so now hes running the equivalent of 150ml per tank.

I'm a bit worried about just how finite these measurements are now. 200ml in 60 odd liters and your diesel engine goes like a rocket 300ml in the same amount and it's gutless. You really wouldn't want to mess up and add a little too much because the bottle slipped when the error margin is so low or you'll go from rocket to snail and be racing into your mechanic asking why your engines so rooted.

I was putting 300ml in a tank getting (let me check) 73.6L on the last tank I did it. From what I've read, you can put up to a litre into 80L but that's really so that you can give the thing a good clean (there are detergents in the oil that clean the innards of your combustion tract).

I had intended, with one of the upcoming fills to add a whole litre (to my 150L tank) and see how she goes. I might just do that tomorrow and report on the results. We've got some driving to do this weekend.

you put too much in. you want 100ml-200ml for a full tank. that may vary a bit depending on oil used.

Apparently from what I've read most commonly it's supposed to be mixed at a 200:1 ratio so that means 375ml to a 75 litre tank.
My main concern about using it is how it might affect the catalytic converter over a long period of use.

the amounts vary a lot depending on what 2T you use. i generally find less works better than more. i often only put 2T in every so often.

catalytic converter is something i'm not sure about. i have not heard of anyones blocking up. it certainly does something as it removes the smell of the 2T from the exhaust which i noticed after getting rid of the cat.
i think it would be safe to say no short term effect on the cat but long term (200,000+km) i could not say. but having said that i would have thought that if a cat is going to block up then a dpf would block up very very quickly.

Surely a diesel engine will burn any oily shit you care to run it on?
its not the oil thats the problem as that "burns" in the cat quite well. its the additives in the oil. thats why engine oil is so bad for cats and dpf's. especially why you have special oil for dpf fitted engines.

Some 2 stroke oils are specifically marketed as safe for catalytic converters:
http://www.addinol.de/index.php?id=636&L=2&ftu=

unfortunately thats also synthetic.

The JASO FB one in that list that is deemed cc safe, is mineral based. I strongly suspect that most mineral JASO FB oils will give no problems with ccs.

From what I had read before I tried it in my car, the minimum JASO rating that you should seek is FC - FD is better, but it's also fully synthetic.

You can combust fully synthetic oil and JASO-FD won't harm your engine. Nissan put this stuff in themselves, in your crankcase, and the blow-by (PCV) shoves this straight into your intake manifold. I think the stuff they put in non-DPF vehicles is JASO-FC, because they're in a big panic about the $4,000 DPF they insist on the higher grade oil.

So, you're already combusting oil unless you fit the grand-daddy of all catch cans. It's not 2-stroke oil, but it's going into the same place.

As for the long-term effects on the CAT - I guess we'll find out. Almost ready to call the dealer for the 90,000km service on my car, I've just developed a boost leak on the hose between the intercooler and the intake manifold at the manifold itself, plus I think my SCV is toast, but the rest of the thing is performing like a train, and there's a good gulp of 2-stroke in this latest tank of diesel (filled at the Shell @ Hexham).

nissan do not put that stuff in. jasco FD/FC etc is 2 stroke only spec, its not related to engine oil at all. no way nissan will be putting 2 stroke oil in.
the oil that nissan uses is a special grade (CJ?) for DPF fitted engines.

synthetic oil burns poorly. fine as engine oil as you burn very little engine oil. if you burn a lot it will foul up the combustion chamber.

the other thing of course is synthetic 2T doesn't mix with diesel and will cause problems if you use it in diesel.

picked up 4l of 'shell advance 2t' for $15 today. its mineral and exceeds international standards api tc, jaso fc, bla, bla, ect

the local supercheap. I dont know if it was on special or what but thinking of getting another 4l just in case.

None of that Shell 2T gear at Warwick SC today... dropped in while we were in town to grab some grease (tube and pot) for wheel bearings and ball joints (grease gun). Had to be content with 1 ltr of the red Castrol Activ 2T oil for the tank in small lots (150ml) per tank :)

^^ yeah iv a feeling its discontinued stock at my local SC (dandenong) cos they had new shelving and new layout when i went in there yesterday. 1l of the shell was $5, 4l for $15, might go and grab another cpl bottles for perpetuity!
Anyone able to confirm that the castrol activ 2t actually is a mineral oil? It says nothing about it on the bottle or website.

Ok guys after reading through twenty odd pages of this thread I have a few question before I try this. I have a 2003 STR with the ZD30 in it. Cat has been removed, EGR swirl mod and water/air intercooler.

Now from what I read the preffered oil of choice is the castrol activ 2t, is that right?
The ratio is 200:1 or 300:1?

Now also is there any point running an additive like the chemtech diesel power instead that claims to do all that this 2t oil seems to do? Or even just use premium bp or vortex diesel? Will either of those provide the same benefits? If no then why not?

I'm not trying to start pages of debating. I just want the facts from people that are running it....

Thanks Lee

Back