Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I am taking a risk and doing some unofficial testing to see what kind of difference it will make.

I always use premium diesel because that's what the previous owner had (claimed he) put in it. He told me it would give me 600km to a tank and I knew with the way I thrash the poor old thing I wouldn't get that much but I still make not bad mileage considering I average 500km to a tank.

My poison:
Penrite semi-synthetic hi-per 2-stroke oil

I went the semi-synthetic instead of mineral because my old car doesn't have a DPF and so the small amounts of ash shouldn't cause any problems.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

The results are unproven and the entire document could be fabricated by someone that wants us to try 2-stroke in our fuel and watch as our engines detonate at 100km/h - but I doubt it. For one, I've used 2-stroke oil in my fuel on several occasions. Secondly, they're saying they get better results from biodiesel, so if there's a barrow to be pushed that's the one I'd be suspecting!

yes his saying better resuts from bio...on paper (PDF analysis), an then joe down the road says he gets better results from Vortex Premium...

there still isnt any proof in the field.

guys, I would not Biodiesel in my wheelbarrow. We have had not end of trouble of injectors failing in isuzu powered excavators. When ever we replace injection components we take fuel samples before and after the fuel filters. These samples are tested and often when injectors have failed quickly traces of biodiesel is found. Less than 1,500 engine hours. Injectors should last at least 6,000hours.

I use to work for a guys who run a fleet of caterpillar powered kenworths, with ever tank of fuel he put one lt of engine oil in the tanks. He the never had a failed injector but did change the out at 800,000kms or around four years.

VBsteve.

I'm sure there are different grades of biodiesel too, and if you look at the sources around the country, a few of them use used cooking oil. I'm quite uncomfortable with that. Smorgon's plant in Melbourne uses tallow, canola and juncea (similar to canola). I don't know what I got at KCS but it'd be a good bet it came from Darwin - that's from palm oil.

yes his saying better resuts from bio...on paper (PDF analysis), an then joe down the road says he gets better results from Vortex Premium...

there still isnt any proof in the field.

We're not likely to get it any time soon, either, because such a study is expensive to run in a controlled environment with blind participants (meaning those driving don't know whether they are on fuel 'a' or 'b'). You'd have to get several identical cars, dyno-adjust them to provide very similar fuel consumption rates for the same effort (using a base line fuel), then set the identical vehicles off on the exact same trip using the various different kinds of fuels/additives.

I don't have enough money to buy that many Navaras and if I did, I probably couldn't give a hoot about the differences in fuel!

About the best I can say is this: I've used 2-stroke (Castrol Activ 2T mostly, but have used Valvoline and don't like it) in my car and it does not appear to have done any harm at all, and appears to have provided some mild benefit in fuel consumption. Variations may exist in temperature, humidity, traffic conditions, driver mood and perceived needs to improve arrival times :rofl2: and even reaction to the various gorillas that think they can drive along at 40km/h in an 80 zone until it's double-lane then sit on 85 until it's single lane and reduce speed to the nice, safe 40km/h again.:shotgun: I am guilty of lead-footing it past these idiots on more than one occasion and naturally it'll have an effect on consumption rates!

I think I remember seeing a mythbusters ep only a few weeks ago on one of the FTA channels and they debunked bio, as well as hydrogen and a few other techniques. Their lack of a story on adding two stroke when covering other well known internet myths might just be an answer in itself.

I'm fairly certain now that 300ml of JASO-FC 2-stroke oil is mildy beneficial, providing me with about 1 litre per hundred kilometres reduction in fuel consumption. Over the tank, that's around 6 litres, or (@ $1.249 for instance) that's about $7.50 saved. The oil costs (4 litres @ $39.95 = just under $3 (2.996), so I'm about $4 better off per tank. At that rate I'm consuming fuel (we're just hitting 17,500km now, and we're sitting in our van in Broke as I write this) this is going to add up to a sizeable amount by the end of the year.

So you put in 300mls to a full tank which is about 80L?

I have put 100mls of Castrol JASO-FC Activ 2T 2 stroke into 1/2 tank into my 08 2.5 D22, straight away made a huge difference, no more rattles on start up and overall quieter, no change in power and same amount of smoke comes out the back.

I don't know if it helps
But surely it couldn't hurt in such a small dose
Similar to upper cyl lube in lpg systems
Let the debate continue
I think ile give it a try

Said way back I was unlikely to do it but curiosity got the better of me. I know curiostiy killed the cat, just hope it doesn't kill my cat. (sorry, attempted punny humour there:)

Anyway gave it a go 300mL to one full tank. Noise wise it does make an unmistakeable difference not so much in the car but outside. Fuel consumption not the slightest change. Performance wise, I'd say the same if anything maybe not quite as good but that could be my imagineation.

Does make you wonder what is going on in there when running 2 stroke in the fuel. The fuel viscosity can't be changing enough to make a difference in that way, so some wierd effect on the combustion.

Long story short won't be adding 2 stroke in the future.

X2 turned my nav in to a gutless heap of crap...never again

Righto, day one update.

Using semi-synthetic Penrite hi-per two-stroke oil
I added 200ml to 70L of petrol.

Just as many have reported it was instantly quieter and there was less rattle.

My car was blowing a light or grey smoke only when revving high (above 3200rpm) now it blows a darker or blackened smoke revving over 2800rpm.

Performance had dropped slightly, I drove bedfordale every day last week without a drama, after adding two stroke oil I find it harder to maintain high speeds and even harder to drive up hills.

It runs at a slightly hotter temperature, running just below half way now running just over half way.

After day one I am getting unwanted results coupled with a positive feature... reduced noise.

I will continue using it until I have no oil left (4 tanks) and give updates and more detailed results as time goes on.

Righto, day one update.

Using semi-synthetic Penrite hi-per two-stroke oil
I added 200ml to 70L of petrol.

Just as many have reported it was instantly quieter and there was less rattle.

My car was blowing a light or grey smoke only when revving high (above 3200rpm) now it blows a darker or blackened smoke revving over 2800rpm.

Performance had dropped slightly, I drove bedfordale every day last week without a drama, after adding two stroke oil I find it harder to maintain high speeds and even harder to drive up hills.

It runs at a slightly hotter temperature, running just below half way now running just over half way.

After day one I am getting unwanted results coupled with a positive feature... reduced noise.

I will continue using it until I have no oil left (4 tanks) and give updates and more detailed results as time goes on.

Swap it for Castrol Activ 2T.

Swap it for Castrol Activ 2T.

+1. I never had the heat issue with mine. Quieter injectors, small change in fuel economy, but no change in heat. And that includes when towing. I use the Torque application to monitor several things, one is coolant temperature - and all was as expected (and as usual).

I recently put 600ml of Activ 2T in a tank (150L) and towed the van into the forest (where else!). Power was normal, engine was noisy but that was my airbox drowning everything else, fuel economy was slightly below typical for where we went (17LPHK vs the usual 18LPHK).

I've finished that tank of fuel - on a fresh tank (146L fill) and the injectors are letting themselves be heard again. After fixing the airbox I'd thought I was almost in a petrol car again, but back on straight diesel and she's clattering again. I think I'll drop another 600ml into the tank in the morning.

I initially used the penrite hyper in mine, cos it was on special, didnt have any heat issues, if anything i reckon egt's were down abit and performance was better than usual.
Since moved on to low ash pure mineral stuff after being berated on here about the synth stuff not mixing properly with diesel.

Also, i saw 4 liter jaso fc or fd (cant remember now) mineral 2t at masters for less than $40.
I might give that a try after iv used up what iv got.

Haha, nah it's just a shit stir, only off topic shit has been deleted from this thread.

well maybe we need to keep you busy Jsaon and back too being more off topic.......

SO what about the new breed of white ants that are eating homes so fast that they are having to be ripped down, and normal poison just doesnt work.

maybe they should try 2T.....mmmmmmmm :rambo:

Latest posts

Back