Advice and a Confession

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
I have a confession... I have been seriously considering buying a ute chopped 100 series 'Cruiser. I hope I can be forgiven for even considering having an affair with the darkside.

My motivation is

• I have only ever driven a ute
  • I need four doors to carry the tin lids around
  • A 100 series is a very capable 4WD
  • I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 model at a very good price (with a solid front axle of course)

However I just love my Nav and really don't want to part with it; not least because I have spent a small fortune on accessories which will need to remain with the Nav.

I would sell of course if I could get reasonable money for it. Is there a market for a fully accessorised secondhand D40??

Hmmm... What to do??

Gus, follow your heart.

If you don't, you'll always be left wondering "what if ..." and perhaps regretting the decision and maybe even the advice given to you.

None of us know your heart, it's up to you.

I'm not going to give you a guilt trip like "But your Navara took you to so many places" because Discovery Channel does too and you can't tow anything with it - that sucks.

Whichever way you go, just enjoy it mate.

I'd go for it it too Gus, The badge they stick on it means bugger all if you're happy with it and it does what you want it too. If you feel that strongly about the Nav take the badges off it and stick them on the 100 series and you can keep a foot in both camps.

Not sure sure there is a market for a fully accessorised anything really. If you can afford to wait for the right buyer then you might see a better deal for yourself but the annoying thing about the second hand market is that accessories just don't add what they are worth to a deal.

Is it a diesel?, (I think the solid axles only came in naturaly aspirated diesels....)and they are painfully slow.
But yeah brands dont mean shit. Just buy what suits your needs. Nissan/Toyota...you dont have much to worry about in regards to reliability....id be more worried about the ute chop and making sure it was done to engineers specs.

A dual cab diesel SFA 100 series with aftermarket turbo would be a sweet rig. Go for it.

go for it son but as joshy said i had a 100 series na diesel and it was painfully slow alright...il be in the same boat as u after we have our 3rd kid il be getting a patrol or cruiser (wagon though) which ever feels right and need the room

how much are u thinking of selling the d40? id assume 40-50k with all the gear on it

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback...

I really do just love my D40 but I have been badly bitten by the 4WD bug and in all honesty it is never going to be a truly 'tough' 4WD for two reasons - the IFS and that weak as piss too low to ground front diff!

I have found a 2006 'poverty pack' 100 series ute chopped with the solid front axle and non-turbo 4.2 diesel. Lets just say it's a blank canvas. It has travelled 120,000 kms. After market turbo and intercooler would at the top of the wish list I guess. Haven't agreed on a price but the grapevine tells me they'll take $18,000.

The Minister of Finance would prefer a 100 series wagon but I just can't bring myself to driving one.

My brother has got a chopped Landcruiser 100 ute and reckons it's absolutely awesome. He's up in Cooktown and sees some pretty tough spots with his work - he reckons his rig is almost unstoppable. Thankfully I don't carry my (teenage) kids around much in my D22 as i have a company car: when they do get in it they do nothing but whinge about the lack of room. If this ute suits your needs, go for it.

While I ain't a Yota fan at all its up to you.

Just remember the 1HZ is known for cracking the head once turboed, hence why Toyota stopped making the turbo 1HZ from the factory.

Australia never got them but certain parts of Europe did, plus the piston's are lighter then a factory turbo spec motor.

Nissan did it right from day one, all the NA diesel motors are designed to handle a turbo where Toyota went cheap and fitted lighter piston's and rods.

Dave.

If the 4wd bug has bitten you why not look at a 5" lift kit for the Nav and fit 285/75R16 tyres. Mine has had it done and will keep up with any Cruiser/Patrol in all but the hardest of tracks. If you've spent a heap on your Nav would make more sense. Accesories arent worth anything when it comes to selling your car.

If the 4wd bug has bitten you why not look at a 5" lift kit for the Nav and fit 285/75R16 tyres. Mine has had it done and will keep up with any Cruiser/Patrol in all but the hardest of tracks. If you've spent a heap on your Nav would make more sense. Accesories arent worth anything when it comes to selling your car.

Trav

I have seriously considered this option (and I haven't completely ruled it out). The issue is that lifting the Nav by 5" doesn't address the 'too low to the ground' front diff and the limitations of the IFS. The issue of the IFS is exacerbated by the fact that the front diff is weak as piss and therefore a diff lock can't be fitted - which is usual thing to do to overcome IFS articulation issues.

Furthermore, I suspect fitting 33" tyres will result in the Nav struggling with power to turn them especially up hills.

I would love some forum members to tell me otherwise. As I really do like my Nav and deep down don't want to get rid of it - I just want a more capable 4WD which can get up with the 'big boys'.

Any thoughts?

Gus

Gus, I'm going to point out the obvious and probably look like an egghead as a result, but here goes anyway.

No matter what vehicle that has a front diff, it's going to be in the middle of the axle and the only way to make it higher is to put on larger wheels. With IFS and a lift, you'd actually end up with a higher diff anyway.

With 33" wheels - you could always change ratios in your diffs but apart from a slower takeoff it'll just be a matter of gear selection afterwards.

As to the strength of the front diff - maybe you could get a replacement for that, capable of taking a locker. What surprises me is that nobody's thought of popping the rear diff from a Navara and bolting it in the other way around.

Trav

I have seriously considered this option (and I haven't completely ruled it out). The issue is that lifting the Nav by 5" doesn't address the 'too low to the ground' front diff and the limitations of the IFS. The issue of the IFS is exacerbated by the fact that the front diff is weak as piss and therefore a diff lock can't be fitted - which is usual thing to do to overcome IFS articulation issues.

Furthermore, I suspect fitting 33" tyres will result in the Nav struggling with power to turn them especially up hills.

I would love some forum members to tell me otherwise. As I really do like my Nav and deep down don't want to get rid of it - I just want a more capable 4WD which can get up with the 'big boys'.

Any thoughts?

I understand your concern, is your Nav auto or manual? Mine is an auto and turns the 33's easy as. Uses a bit more fuel but I can live with that (11-12L/100km).

Yes the 5" lift doesnt fix the low front diff issue but allows you to fit 33's which DOES address this issue. I measured under mine when it had worn out 33's on it and under diff clearance was 245mm. I then measured my GU Patrol ute with 3" lift and 33's and under diff clearance for that was 260mm. Now I have fitted brand new 33's it will be more like 250ish mm under the Nav.

Neither myself or the previous owner (had lift and tyres when I bought it) have had an issue with the front diff being weak? I tow my 1T camper a fair bit and it doesnt even look like playing up.

I couldnt be happier with mine. I personally reckon they should come out of the factory set up like mine is. Mine is a very capable 4wd and can cut it with the big boys out here in the Pilbara.

Gus, I'm going to point out the obvious and probably look like an egghead as a result, but here goes anyway.

No matter what vehicle that has a front diff, it's going to be in the middle of the axle and the only way to make it higher is to put on larger wheels. With IFS and a lift, you'd actually end up with a higher diff anyway.

With 33" wheels - you could always change ratios in your diffs but apart from a slower takeoff it'll just be a matter of gear selection afterwards.

As to the strength of the front diff - maybe you could get a replacement for that, capable of taking a locker. What surprises me is that nobody's thought of popping the rear diff from a Navara and bolting it in the other way around.

Tony

I don't believe other diff ratios are available for the front diff and SASing the D40 is big job but possible of course.

I understand your concern, is your Nav auto or manual? Mine is an auto and turns the 33's easy as. Uses a bit more fuel but I can live with that (11-12L/100km).

Mine is an auto too that's good news!

Yes the 5" lift doesnt fix the low front diff issue but allows you to fit 33's which DOES address this issue. I measured under mine when it had worn out 33's on it and under diff clearance was 245mm. I then measured my GU Patrol ute with 3" lift and 33's and under diff clearance for that was 260mm. Now I have fitted brand new 33's it will be more like 250ish mm under the Nav.

I got 200mm to the bottom of my front bash plate

Neither myself or the previous owner (had lift and tyres when I bought it) have had an issue with the front diff being weak? I tow my 1T camper a fair bit and it doesnt even look like playing up.

I am unsure what the issue is with the front diff - maybe its too small? Anyway there must be reason why ARB don't make a front locker for it.

I couldnt be happier with mine. I personally reckon they should come out of the factory set up like mine is. Mine is a very capable 4wd and can cut it with the big boys out here in the Pilbara.

OK I am going to have to investigate further and see what needs for certification etc here in SA.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back