Alloy or Steel as a spare.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lever

Reaction score
Just wondering what would be best to have as an extra spare rim and tyre to carry.
Total two spares with tyres.
Buy another standard Navara Alloy ( used ) or get a steel rim.

Depends where you will cary them IMO, i like having a steel rim UNDER the car as its prone to damage. If the car lands on a rock doing some steps ect an alloy may get slammed.
If you have them both up on a wheel carrier then alloy because the weight factors.

Thanks for the reply Nathand22.
Will keep the spare steel one underneath, but it seems some people carry one or two extras,
so was wondering what would be best steel or alloy.
If you had to take the tyre off the rim to repair, would it matter which one you had..

As far as taking tyre off a rim I don't think it would matter at all, either way its going to be a shit of a job.
The good thing about steel is if the rim gets damaged you can beet the dent out, where an alloy would already be cracked or will be if you try and beat out a buckle in order to try and get the bead to hold air again.
Personally if I was going to Cary a spare anywhere but under the car I would go alloy just for the weight saving. If it goes on the roof it will be easier to get up there and less weight up high and on the rack is a good thing and the same goes for a rear wheel carrier.

Thanks for the quick reply Nathand22.
Have an opportunity to buy four near new (1000 Ks old) original rims for $150
I think i had better get them..
Thanks for the advice, and sound reasoning.

Also consider if you want to do 5 tire rotations or not. But looks like your already getting alloys

Latest posts

Back