Alloy or Steel Bullbar?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJK

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently looking at buying a new 2011 D22 STR and not sure whether to go for the alloy or the steel bullbar?

Thanks.

Steel, so many people have replaced alloy with steel so best to get it first up.

Mine came with a alloy bar, Only reason i changed to steel is so i can mount a winch, Alloy is alright with standard t/bars, Put a steel bar and you might need to think about heavier t/bars

alloy will bend way too easy in an animal strike or if u bang it on the ground 4x4ing, steel is way better protection

It all depends what you're doing with it - and while you might think to yourself "I'll never take it off-road", I found that a small taste of off-road gave me a desire for more, but more importantly it was a driveway that I had to use my winch the first time, then the side of a hill used as a car park for the second time.

As the other guys said, alloy is more for show and holding up driving lights. Steel bars are more practical but they come with a weight penalty.

Thanks guys, I will be taking it offroad!

Is it best to get the bar from nissan with the car or go aftermarket? Also is there anywhere that I can get a white one to match the colour of the car?

Thanks, I see you have the s/t maxx's on yours..how are they?

Anyone got any idea how much the ARB bars are?

Arb bars are around 1200 to 1500 depending where you get it. Even though the price may look high it will be worth it in the long run. I live in the flinders ranges in south australia and the nearest city to me is close to 400 klm away and from having to travel at least once a month down that way my steel. bull bar has saved me from a lot of animals totaling my car. My fathers old car had a alloy bull bar and he hit one roo and it crumpled in where as ive hit two roo's an emu and a sheep and heaps of birds lol and my bull bar is still the same one

ARB manufacture the Nissan bar anyway, but don't include the foglight mount. Get the ARB bar if you like the look.

Xrox and others also make bars - make sure you give them all a look-over before you lay down your cash. It would be a shame for you to purchase the ARB bar and decide you like the look/lines of the Xrox better - buyer's remorse makes for an unhappy owner.

Have a look through people's garages too, so you can see them on Navaras.

I have the Nissan steel bar on mine and it has taken out a few roo's and not a drama. I have winched with it many a time also. You will want to put heavier torsion bars in it though to take the weight.

Anyone got any idea how much the ARB bars are?
Just get steel, you won't even notice the extra weight, what you will notice is its almost impervious to damage :S

Prices on the ARB deluxe bar, Last I heard it was about $1350 plus $125 fitting and something like $300 for color coding (comes in black normally)

TJM steel bar is about $1250

can't remember what the nissan ones are, from nizzbits its like $1050 for the steel one and $1600 for the alloy although don't quote me on that.

Just get steel, you won't even notice the extra weight, what you will notice is its almost impervious to damage :S

You obviously don't try hard enough, steel can and will bend with a decent animal strike especially if you hit it anywhere but the solid upright. The big difference between steel and alloy (apart from the winch mounts which can be modified) is that alloy will in most animal strikes do less damage to the panel work behind the bar where as steel shows no mercy when it bends.

Even a small roo can bend steel as much as it can bend alloy. Each strike is going to be different and an owner will never know if they were better off with steel or alloy but there is no point giving people a false sense of security about steel bars being the best option because of perceived strength when it's not always true.

I just ordered a new str myself and shopped around for bullbars. I went for steel because out here we have alot of roo hits and I was after strength. I compared both aftermarket with Nissan and found that the one the dealer was offering was not only cheaper but seemed to be of good build quality also.

Thanks guys! I ordered my new D22 today!
Ended up going with the nissan steel bar and a heap of other extras..pick it up next week sometime! Cant wait.

Thanks guys! I ordered my new D22 today!
Ended up going with the nissan steel bar and a heap of other extras..pick it up next week sometime! Cant wait.
Nice one and congrates mate.
Would of gone for the Smart bar myself but can't get it for the Thai D40

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back