Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is cheaper to buy the chip through a dealer rather than from DP themselves.

I wasn't quite expecting the $1500 pricetag. Does this sound about right?

Cheers,

DJ

steinbauer is around the same price...thats the chip i'm looking at going with. I think you'll have trouble getting it much cheaper then what they are offering. guess you'll just need to ring around.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is cheaper to buy the chip through a dealer rather than from DP themselves.

I wasn't quite expecting the $1500 pricetag. Does this sound about right?

Cheers,

DJ

Send a PM to d22str, he may be able to do it a little cheaper.

Do we need a whole new exhaust system or just a new dump pipe?

Is it really worth changing the exhaust. I know when i had a Holden i got the exhuast done and i could hardly notice any difference.

I have a brand new st-r less than a month old.

Hi tbblitz,

I rang and spoke to DP and discussed the option of Exhaust with them. They told me an exhaust was not necessary and in fact the chip has been mapped and setup for use on a stock D22 with stock exhaust.

They said there was no problem with EGT's, that the chip has been conservatively setup and that the vehicle will perform well with the chihp setting on "5". If you add modded exhaust or other items, you can "tune" the chip via laptop and USB.

I'm going to go for the chip on it's own as I don't want to give Nissan any reason to suspect the vehicle is anything but stock. If the chip does add 25% more power and 30% more torque, then the chip alone will be worth it.

Cheers,

DJ

Hi Guys,

Today I swapped utes with a mate for a test drive. I drove his BT-50 and he, my ST-R. After feeling the pull from his 3.0 litre and getting back into mine after, I rang Diesel Power and put my credit card where my mouth is and ordered the chip. Stuff it, the BT-50 went like hell and was so smooth.

I spoke at length to them on the phone and they couldn't have been more helpful and knowledgeable. I don't know if I'm going to do the exhaust as they said the rated power for the Chip is with stock exhaust on mid setting so I should be getting about 125kw (up 25%) and 392 Nm (up 33%) after the chip is in. :eek:

The VVT Turbo works differently to a normal turbo and so I'm wondering if I even need to replace the dump pipe. As there doesn't seem to be a waste gate to speak of, the exhaust gas flow should be clean from the Turbine straight into the pipe and Cat. The vanes just close up and the exhaust gas bypasses the turbine blades when you don't need the boost and the turbo is kept spinning higher RPM at low engine speed. Sweet system and should give a better and smoother power curve after fitment.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I've only just started reading up on the VVT ( Variable Vane Turbo) and it's operation. I had a look at the exhaust and it looks pretty decent on the D22, no nasty sharp bends or restrictive corners.

I'll see how the chip goes on it's own and make a decision about exhaust later. I'll give some feedback tomorrow after I get the chip fitted.

Cheers all,

DJ

yep, stock turbo on navaras including the common rail models are not variable vane types, just controlled through a pressure actuator

the stock dump pipe is extremely restrictive, i've seen inside it and basically the turbo forces the exhaust straight into a wall of the beginning of a dump pipe and theres a sort of oval hole/tube it travels through thats around 2.5-3cm x 5cm in size then it goes straight to the cat and then compresses to come out of a small hole

a nice 3 inch dump with smooth curves and a good flow would make a big difference as your getting more heat away from the engine and theres less flow restriction.

of course you'll need to reinstall a new cat somewhere in the system (if you want to keep legal,cough)

Hi Guys,

Not sure who's right, but just found this on a couple of different websites.

"The 16-valve, double overhead cam YD diesel features second-generation common rail technology for lower emissions and excellent economy, a variable nozzle turbocharger which delivers lower emissions as well as more power, and a new balancer system for greater refinement.

The common rail system fuel injection system used in the 2.5-litre diesel has a electronically-controlled high pressure fuel injection pump for greater efficiency. This helps provide more power, low emissions and lower levels of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Emissions are further improved by the adoption of an oxidation catalyst.

aus2008013167295_alt.jpg

A new turbocharger with a variable nozzle turbine (VNT) sharpens the engine’s responses. The new diesel also features twin counter rotating balancer shafts within the engine to reduce vibrations and the use of a single, rather than double, chain camshaft drive help ensure high levels of refinement. The compression ratio is now 16.5 to 1."

Anyways, I contacted Nissan to try and get some straight answers from the Workshop and they didn't have anyone on hand at the time 1/4 to 5pm so they said they'd call back tomorrow with some answers about the type and operation of the turbo tomorrow once they could speak with someone knowledgeable enough.

Can't wait for the chip, not long now. Giddy UP!

DJ

its a variable turbo in the pathfinders which have the same engine and common rail, but the intercooler is bigger/better and the turbo is a large garrett brand turbo with a actuator that sits vertically compared to the actuator on my turbo which horizontal to just open the waste gate

edit: well thats what i know from my experience as i've pulled the whole turbo unit out and it looked dead standard and i've seen a friends pathfinder and it has the bigger turbo with different actuator

Last edited:
did we ever work out if the 4x4 CR D22 had variable turbo or not ?
i think it might just be the 2wd D22 thats normal turbo.

DEEJAY. let me know when you get the chip because im thinking about leaving mine stock aswell , just until the warranty expires! 3 years hehe.

If it brings the power up to the same as the st-x ill get one aswell.

Hope it works well. How much is it going to cost u

Hi Guys

My nav came with a safari dtrontic when i got it.(Ex Rural Fire Service,No prob's with Nissan warranty)The factory exhaust is still fitted.I am going to put a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust on after chissy.

Shane

did we ever work out if the 4x4 CR D22 had variable turbo or not ?
i think it might just be the 2wd D22 thats normal turbo.

i doubt they're going to get the exact same torque and power figures by using different turbos?

also thats some shit advertising as they say the new d22 range has the variable turbo and my 2wd d22 which is part of that range doesnt get it!

also in the workshop manuals it looks like a bog plain turbo

different turbo will pump in same air. its just when it does it is a bit different.

just have to get someone with the 4x4 version to take some closer pics

What pics exactly do u need? Maddog and I both have 08 models mine 4x4 his 2x4. we could take photos to compare????

Hi Guys,

Mine goes in for service tomorrow so I'll ask the mechs and see if they know. FFS someone should bloody know what the hell turbo is in it.

The Chip will go in about 10minutes after I get it home from the service. :victory:

Cheers,

DJ

roundy, just take a photo or two around the turbo area and if there is a long gold coloured rod from the start of the turbo to the back of the turbo that sits horizontal then tell us please.

to really confirm best way is to remove that top heatshield that sits on the turbo and manifold as that'll cleanly expose it, but i dont want you to go to too much hassle.

Back