Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stock engine runs 98kw and 304nm of torque...

dp chip is supposed to bring it up to 125kw and 392nm of torque...

fair difference and you ought to bloody feel it straight away i reckon?

that's what i think. I drove a st-x then got in my st-r and i noticed mine was a fair bit slower so you have to feel the difference, 20kw more.

how much is this dp chip again $1500?

I just noticed something to deejay

DPChip has got you covered!

Only DPChip comes with
5 Year Product Warranty
30 day No Risk Money Back Guarantee
24/7 support hotline
New Vehicle Engine & Driveline Coverage
Proudly Australian!

MAKE MODEL ENGINE KW BEFORE KW AFTER NM BEFORE NM AFTER DPCHIP
Nissan Navara D22 2.5CRD 2.5L 4cyl 98 125 304 392 DP31

24/7 support?? didnt you ring on the weekend and couldnt get in contact with anyone? Interesting.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Today I spent more time fiddling with the Nav and grabbed my mate Dave and his BT-50 for comparison.

We both swapped vehicles previously and I felt the Nav was way off the pace which was the reason for the chip upgrade in the first place so today I got Dave to drive mine with and without the chip, then we did vehicle comparisons between the two.

Dave did notice an improvement with the chip in on max setting. I agreed with him that it was better than on mid setting or standard (ie no change). I reckon the Nav was going as well as my old ZD30 which whacked out 110kw and 314Nm.

Next we grabbed Dave's BT-50 which puts out 115kw and 380Nm and put them to the test for standing start accelleration tests, as well as several rolling start accelleration tests from 60, 80 and 100kph.

In EVERY test, the BT-50 smoked the Navara despite having different gear ratios which actually favoured the Nav.

This was inline with my expectations of the Nav putting about the same as the ZD30 as it would stand to reason if you look at the power and torque of the settings and vehicles in question.

I took the chip out again, boxed it up and have sent it back to DP Chip for analysis and re-tuning or replacement.

As always, I'll keep you blokes updated as to the outcome. I hope it's favourable and I get a chip that blows the doors of the Mazda!

I really hate all this fucking around. I just wanna buy the chip, plug it in and grin like a cheshire cat.

Cheers,

DJ

Last edited:
Deejay,

I think you are not going to get what you are trying to achieve. I went through pretty much the same process as you cos my mate has got a Ford Ranger with 295 tyres and 4 inches of lift and it smokes my Nav. The only mods he has is a 3 inch dump pipe and a pod filter. I nearly sold my Nav and bought a Ranger because of it.

Mine is the 3L and I have kept doing mod after mod. First, I did gas and exhaust (not dump pipe), then chip. Each time I was disappointed when lined up with the Ranger, until I finally changed my dump pipe. This mod compounded the effect of the other mods and I can now stick with my mate. The 3L in the Mazda and Ford is a pretty low down ballsy motor. It puts the Hilux and D40 Navara to shame.

Cheers,

Orse

so what do you recommend then? Get the chip and dump pipe upgraded and then leave it as that?

If the chip takes it up to 120kw around about thats about the same as the st-x which is alright

Hi Guys,

tbblitz has it on the money, if it goes as good as an ST-X that'll be fine. But at present the best the chip would do is make it go like the ZD30 Nav.

I will do the Dump pipe mod as well as soon as I can find a mob that sell one for the 2.5CRD.

I bought the ST-R 2.5 on the premise that I could add the chip and produce the power of the ST-X. Otherwise I may have bought the ST-X

I'll speak to the mob at DP Chip again and see what their thoughts are.

I'll be back with more as this all unfolds.

Cheers,

DJ

I have a 2.5CRD D22 also, Taipan do a 3" Dump Pipe through ARB or buy direct. I have the full 3" system and will be getting a DP Chip in the very near future so will stick it on the Dyno and get some real figures. I am hoping to bring it up to a D40 standard at a minimum, touch wood.

-As per Jason below, it proably wont just adapt straight on, would need some modifications to bolt/weld on to existing system, go the whole lot!

Last edited:
Some companies' (most I think) dump pipes will not fit up against the rest of the stock Navara system, just something to check before purchase. I know the Beaudesert one wont.

Hi Guys,

tbblitz has it on the money, if it goes as good as an ST-X that'll be fine. But at present the best the chip would do is make it go like the ZD30 Nav.

I will do the Dump pipe mod as well as soon as I can find a mob that sell one for the 2.5CRD.

I bought the ST-R 2.5 on the premise that I could add the chip and produce the power of the ST-X. Otherwise I may have bought the ST-X

I'll speak to the mob at DP Chip again and see what their thoughts are.

I'll be back with more as this all unfolds.

Cheers,

DJ
Maybe you should have bought a BT50? :suicide:

Maybe you should have bought a BT50? :suicide:

Don't knock em. They are a pretty good bus and powerwise put our Navs to shame. My mate's Ranger with big wheels and 4 inches of lift still only uses 9 - 11l per 100km of diesel. If I had 295 muddies and 4inches of lift on my Nav, I reckon I would be lucky to get 15l per 100km and it would be gutless.

If I need another 4x4 dual cab when it is time to trade up, I will be buying a Ranger or BT50.

so what do you recommend then? Get the chip and dump pipe upgraded and then leave it as that?

If the chip takes it up to 120kw around about thats about the same as the st-x which is alright

Defo do the dump pipe and full exhaust. Out of the mods I have done, I reckon the gas shits on the chip. It kicks in around 1500rpm and is a really noticeable power gain. The other noticeable mod was the dump pipe and exhaust cos it lets the turbo spool up earlier and gives you more off the mark.

I did the same thing Deejay did when i put my chip on. I did runs over a 400m stretch and couldn't get it over 120kmph without the chip. Then with the chip exactly the same. Felt like I had been ripped, but the diff is in towing and going up hills. With the chip it keeps accelerating.

that extra half a litre in the ranger and bt50 is what gives it that extra few kw (98 vs 105) and the extra torque (304 vs 330)

i reckon nissan should of spent more time in development with this 2.5L engine, it just doesn't compare power-wise. if it were the same as the st-x with 128kw and the better torque then this car would be a real hit

The 3l Ranger/BT50 is 115kw and 380nm, but even compared to the 3l nav which is 110kw and 314kw there is a massive difference. Seat of the pants feel is that the extra torque makes for a really gutsy motor low down. The gearing in them is taller. My mate's pulls 2300rpm in fifth at 110 compared to mine which pulls around 3000rpm at 110.

yeah, i was comparing the 2.5L versions

navara is 98kw/304nm
ranger is 105kw/330nm
bt50 is 105kw/330nm also

same engine between those two? hmm

i wonder what the 1st/2nd gear ratios are? might be lower and so packs more low end punch too?

EDIT:

the bt50 has worse economy than my 2wd...
8.3 litres per 100 km (2.5L manual) extra 1.1L more/100km

Last edited:
do you reckon an exhaust mob could easily make up a dump pipe that bolts onto the stock system? basically it'd be the flat bit that goes onto the back of the turbo and a long vertical tube that curves at the end to meet the stock exhaust.

sure the cat is removed from the system, but would buy a cheap hi flo and chuck it in midway or get them to do it

that extra half a litre in the ranger and bt50 is what gives it that extra few kw (98 vs 105) and the extra torque (304 vs 330)

i reckon nissan should of spent more time in development with this 2.5L engine, it just doesn't compare power-wise. if it were the same as the st-x with 128kw and the better torque then this car would be a real hit

Hey Maddogrc,

I think the whole point of the exercise is to get you to buy the ST-X. If you had the power of the ST-X, why would you want to go to the bigger unit, I mean as a tradies ute, the ST-R is pretty sweet except for the power, so next cab off the rank is the more powerful, VVT turbo, bigger intercooler, chipped up version of the identical 2.5YD.

I think the ZD3.0 powered ST-R's were probably selling a little too well against the D40 2.5, so they needed a bigger incentive to "trade up".

And with the chip done and working like it should in my D22, I will have it all ...... ALL ....... YES, ALL I SAY! ......... mmmwwwuhahahahaha! <trails off with best impression of Vincent Price twisted, maniacal laughter>

Cheers,

DJ

Hey Maddogrc,

I think the whole point of the exercise is to get you to buy the ST-X. If you had the power of the ST-X, why would you want to go to the bigger unit, I mean as a tradies ute, the ST-R is pretty sweet except for the power, so next cab off the rank is the more powerful, VVT turbo, bigger intercooler, chipped up version of the identical 2.5YD.

I think the ZD3.0 powered ST-R's were probably selling a little too well against the D40 2.5, so they needed a bigger incentive to "trade up".

And with the chip done and working like it should in my D22, I will have it all ...... ALL ....... YES, ALL I SAY! ......... mmmwwwuhahahahaha! <trails off with best impression of Vincent Price twisted, maniacal laughter>

Cheers,

DJ

Yep I agreee 100%, If they had the same power the D22 would probably outsell the D40, which I don't think Nissan would want.
I would have bought a D22, but it was just too gutless, even the D40 is borderline in my opinion.
I don't think your Chip is going to be the miracle cure your looking for, D40 have a different turbo and intercooler adding more fuel probably won't give a significant enhancement because of those bottle necks.

Back