Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I had the Nav 1000km service done today and quizzed the mechs. Apparently the D22 2.5's are sporting standard turbo's with wategate control. The D40 has the Variable Nozzle Turbo's as well as the DPF.

WTF was with that press release??? I also don't understand why the turbo on my Nav doesn't whistle at all like on my old 3.0. I miss the whistle :-(

In other news, of course I got told that the 10% over reading of my speedo and Odo are within Nissan tolerances and they'd do nothing about it.

As soon as I got it home, I fitted the DP Chip. It only took 20 minutes and mostly because I was working on a hot engine, but it is easy.

Disappointingly, I have felt no difference to power or torque after a few test runs so I called DP Chip and they said they'd get "Andrew" the guru to call me. I waited all afternoon for a call but none came. Not happy!

I'm hoping there is something wrong with the chip because install is as per instruction and it checks OK. I'm not particularly worried as they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

You guys that have DP Chips, did you notice a big improvement or just slight after fitting?

I'll keep you all updated!

Cheers,

DJ

what setting do you have it on mate? but still with the lowest settings i reckon you'd see a difference in power...

R0014035.jpg

4x4 d22 2.5r is exactly the same and you can see the horizontal turbo waste gate actuator rod.

yes, it is such a bunch of bullshit with all that media and press info of being a variable turbo.

fairly sure falsely advertising an item in such a high price is illegal...

Deejay I have got the steinbauer chip and it is not a massive difference round town, where I can really notice the difference is on a long hill, it pulls much harder than before. Try that and see what you think.

Matt

Hi Guys,
As soon as I got it home, I fitted the DP Chip. It only took 20 minutes and mostly because I was working on a hot engine, but it is easy.

Disappointingly, I have felt no difference to power or torque after a few test runs so I called DP Chip and they said they'd get "Andrew" the guru to call me. I waited all afternoon for a call but none came. Not happy!

I'm hoping there is something wrong with the chip because install is as per instruction and it checks OK. I'm not particularly worried as they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

You guys that have DP Chips, did you notice a big improvement or just slight after fitting?

I'll keep you all updated!

Cheers,

DJ

DJ - I am running a DP Chip in my 2009 D40 Auto (i.e. with a DPF). I have fitted a 3" exhaust after the DPF. I run the Chip at '7' and at that setting it goes bloody fantastically!! So much more instant power and torque.

That's the next question for everyone running a DP Chip, what number setting do you run it on? Still tossing up between a DP Chip and a Taipan Chip.....most people I have spoken with or heard from run there's on 5....?

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to drive my Nav due to work commitments so hven't had much time to tool around with the chip and test it under towing loads or anything like that.

The chip I have must be a new generation of chip as it doesn't have a dial or slide switch, it has 7 sets of electrical pins and a moveable jumper. At the moment the jumper is set in the middle.

I haven't wanted to play around with it until I heard back from DP Chip technical advice, but they don't return calls, and have offered no assistance whatsoever only excuses why the guy can't come to the phone.

I'm starting to feel scammed and am getting pissed off! I hope they call back and there is some little tweak or reason for the lack of performance. Either that, or I want my money back.

They're super fast to grab your cash and super fast to deliver but their customer after sales technical support is non existant. :no:

I'll muck around with it a bit today coz I have some time.

Cheers,

DJ

Hi Guys,

Yep, got the DP31. Checked and rechecked everything, it's all ok. I rang DP again today so find their office closed to left a more stern message requesting technical assistance ...... No reply ..... again. :suicide:

I had the opportunity to play around today after work was cancelled so decided to open up the chip module and try a higher setting. I moved the terminal jumper up one notch (didn't want to go too crazy), and reassembled it for a test drive.

The car definately felt a bit more perky this time round. Acceleration was a little better and it did seem to need a fair bit less throttle input to maintain speed on the highway and around town.

I carefully took off at a wet set of lights this afternoon and lost traction in both rear wheels in first and second gear with minimal go pedal. Need to be careful especially as boost kicks in, sudden GRUNT!

I reckon I might be onto something here and am happy with the way it is going. I don't know whether I should wait until tech service gets back to me before trying another notch (2 untested higher settings remaining), or just have a crack at one more. I reckon I'll wait as it seems to be going OK at the moment. I also reckon that the torque has probably increased a fair bit and will put it to the towing test tomorrow.

I think I'll be deifinately replacing the dump pipe as that should have no bearing on warranty and will still look pretty stock but may help the turbo breath better.

Where do you get the larger unrestricted dump pipes from?

Happy days, the Nav has finally got a bit of Grrrrr :dancing:

Cheers,

DJ

Last edited:
Hey Maddogrc,

There are only 7 settings on the module and the jumper is set in the middle so I assume it is the same as setting 5 on the other (older?) chip.

I have moved it up one graduation. I also thought it would have been more noticeable in the middle, this is why I want to talk to the designer. Maybe the new chip with 7 notches is de-rated some???

Not much info on changing the settings in the information supplied.

I'll let you know how it goes. It would be good to put it on a dyno to test and get results you can see.

Cheers,

DJ

only 7?

i thought it had like 9?

that makes no sense to me...why would the new models ditch the easy to use numbered dial and put in easily breakable pins/jumpers and less variance in the adjustability of the power range?

seriously mate, good luck with it and perhaps demand the old type if the new ones are running like crap

gidday, my chip is a dp34. when it was installed taking off was a lot more responsive and sharper, faster acceleration. When i upped the chip to 6 then 7 the response again was a bit more then more again. I have no mods to the exhaust onlly the air filter and snorkel, i am still pleased with the result.

Hey Maddogrc,

There are only 7 settings on the module and the jumper is set in the middle so I assume it is the same as setting 5 on the other (older?) chip.

I have moved it up one graduation. I also thought it would have been more noticeable in the middle, this is why I want to talk to the designer. Maybe the new chip with 7 notches is de-rated some???

Not much info on changing the settings in the information supplied.

I'll let you know how it goes. It would be good to put it on a dyno to test and get results you can see.

Cheers,

DJ

I agree, stick it on the dyno, it's the only way to know what's going on.

I have fitted a Steinbauer chip from ARB. The performance increase is noticeable, its takes off quicker and pulls harder (I have a camper trailer). The chip is neatly concealed in the engine bay, at least from a cosmetic perspective its hardly noticeable. I went the chip first because of the DPF on my 2007 dual cab. Temperature has not been an issue at all. Fuel use is the same. If you worried about Nissan service giving you a hard time use another mechanic to service who is approved. They havent given me a hard time.

Hi Guys,

Had SFA to do tonight so went out and decided on a more clinical approach to testing the chip. I did multiple timed acceleration tests with and without the chip from 60 to 80 in 4th Gear and guess what? Got the same figures from with and without the chip.

I guess that means the chip they sent me isn't working, although it still feels perkier.

I hope to finally speak to their techie tomorrow to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

DJ

any news from Dpchip yet deejay.

I took my boat away this weekend and went water skiing. I can tell you now over taking and going up hills with about 2.5 tonne my nav stuggles so im very keen on the chip. If your happy with it mate.

Hi Guys,

Yep, I heard from DP Chip today and spoke to Andrew the designer of the chip. Strangely, he seemed to know his stuff :p

We chatted about the issues I was having and he said to just max the jumper to high power and see if it makes a difference, and that if that didn't make a difference to send it back to them for analysis and testing.

He said that the graduations are very minute of only around a percent or two and that it depended a lot on the factory signal from the ECM being high enough to engage the chip. So I ramped it up to full noise and towed my camper trailer to storage today and it seemed to go ok, but still wasn't convinced (don't know exactly how heavy the loaded Camper trailer is but I'm thinking around 1.2 tonne) so rang them back to arrange return, they suggested to return the chip and repair or replace.

As I was removing the chip, I noticed a loose wire in one of the couplings and so pushed it back in properly. When I got back in the Nav, it had started up in creep home mode and drove with no power at all. I pulled over, rechecked the coupling, stopped and started the nav again and we were away!

Before a quick run to the tip, I removed the chip and the harness and suddenly noticed a seeming lack in performance or sluggishness or was I just imagining it? , so I continued to drive it and it felt quite gutless. Curiosity was at me, so ....

I pulled over and reinstalled the chip and found the Grrrr again. Now I've tested the thing black and blue and have tried just about everything and to be honest am not sure whether it is the performance I was seeking or not because I've played around so much, so my mate is bringing his BT-50 over again and we'll drive em back to back again (this was what made me purchase the chip in the first place) to see if there is a closer match in performance. I may still send the chip back for a tweak if it isn't what I'm completely happy with but it certainly seems to be very decent at the moment.

BTW, the 7 pin unit with the jumper (DP31) is a very different unit to the chip with the selector dial that fits onto the ZD30 (DP34). The chip is totally different as both have totally different fuel injection systems.

At least I'm happier now, and all I have to do is keep my foot of the floor ;-)

I'll see what tomorrow brings and will probably start looking around for the big bore dump pipe to remove restriction.

Cheers,

DJ

Last edited:
hope they end up replacing it with a new one after they find it faulty!

and as you're out looking for a new dump dont forget to let me know if you find a good one for cheap, maybe one of the local mobs can knock 2 of them up cheaper than 1 if i get mine done too, haha

Back