Anyone into riding, mountain/road bike.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porch said:
just gettin into doin a bit of mountain biking with my mate, coz we are unfit as fk.
cant wait to be able to peddle up a huge ass hill and NOT get puffed, like when I was youger

Hahaha not get puffed. There must be something about being younger and not getting puffed. I ride 50ks 3 times a week and I'm still nackered at the end. Mind you we sprint and race most of the way. Boys and our testosterone not wanting to get beaten by someone else.

Sent from Josh's iPhone using Forum Runner

Holy crap that was hard work! :big_smile:

I went with 2 others who go all the time, they were bearly breaking a sweat and I was nearly dying haha.

I think I will be sore tommorrow!

Hey fellas,

Pete - nice looking bike mate.

Always had a bike. I remeber making up cool rides with mates when I was young - pulling bikes apart and adding stuff, mix'n'match, motor bike bars etc. Always belting around the bush chasing each other. Left plenty of skin on the ground.

I also recall a very cool Malvern Star dragster, purple in colour with a banana seat and huge sissy bar -boy could I get a good mono out of that and leave awesome blackies on the footpath.

I raced on the track once - loved it and did okay, but other things took priority over training.......ie nights out at the pub etc.

Have had a a Nishiki mountain bike for about 15 years - made in Canada and sold through Rebel Sport. A great bike with top Shimano components for it's time and price - no suspension or fancy gear - just a real bike!! I looked at trading it in not long ago and the bloke told me to keep most of the parts and just get a new frame!

I used to ride to work everyday when I lived in Geelong - taking some back tracks and having fun. I remember one day jumping a stick which turned out to be a tiger snake - luckily his strike missed my leg.

Anyway I rode to work last week (46km round trip) and loved it - pulled up much better than I expected as I had only done a couple of 8km rides over christmas.

So the bug is back and I am chasing a reasonably priced flat bar road bike. Got some advice from a work colleague who I reckon sleeps with his bikes and have come up with these two -I like the Scott best.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...-speedster-s50-fb-2011/hawthorn/vic/100279080

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HASA-Shi...902241&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5506200456196003340

Last edited:
Hey fellas,

Pete - nice looking bike mate.

Always had a bike. I remeber making up cool rides with mates when I was young - pulling bikes apart and adding stuff, mix'n'match, motor bike bars etc. Always belting around the bush chasing each other. Left plenty of skin on the ground.

I also recall a very cool Malvern Star dragster, purple in colour with a banana seat and huge sissy bar -boy could I get a good mono out of that and leave awesome blackies on the footpath.

I raced on the track once - loved it and did okay, but other things took priority over training.......ie nights out at the pub etc.

Have had a a Nishiki mountain bike for about 15 years - made in Canada and sold through Rebel Sport. A great bike with top Shimano components for it's time and price - no suspension or fancy gear - just a real bike!! I looked at trading it in not long ago and the bloke told me to keep most of the parts and just get a new frame!

I used to ride to work everyday when I lived in Geelong - taking some back tracks and having fun. I remember one day jumping a stick which turned out to be a tiger snake - luckily his strike missed my leg.

Anyway I rode to work last week (46km round trip) and loved it - pulled up much better than I expected as I had only done a couple of 8km rides over christmas.

So the bug is back and I am chasing a reasonably priced flat bar road bike. Got some advice from a work colleague who I reckon sleeps with his bikes and have come up with these two -I like the Scott best.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...-speedster-s50-fb-2011/hawthorn/vic/100279080

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HASA-Shi...902241&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5506200456196003340

The HASA has a much better group set, but I've never heard of the brand. Not much detail on the frame size either. I'm a whopping 5ft 4 and ride 53 c/c top tube. That frame is slightly compact(sloping top tube) So you need to check what the 52cm measurement is referring to.

The HASA has a much better group set, but I've never heard of the brand. Not much detail on the frame size either. I'm a whopping 5ft 4 and ride 53 c/c top tube. That frame is slightly compact(sloping top tube) So you need to check what the 52cm measurement is referring to.

The 52 is from crank to seat pole hole. They come in sizes from 48 through to 60. If you scroll down the page you will see the last pic lists the sizes of the entire frame - click on it to enlarge.

Correct size for me is something I need to check out. And that is a positive for the Scott - I can go and eyeball it and get a feel of it before buying - can't do that with the Hasa as that brand only sells on-line from what I can gather.

Last edited:
I use Bikecad. www.bikecad.ca for frame designing, but its also useful for comparing different bikes, You can input your physical sizes and it will calculate a recommended frame size. (click on the quickstart tab for the free version.)

just bought a new bike last week so i thought i would dust off this old thread.
after not riding for the last 10yrs and becoming fatter and more unfit by the day I bit the bullet and bought the new Giant 27.5 Trance 1, like everything i have a couple of upgrades to add once i get use to the bike and get a little fitter.
Went on my first ride on sunday, was only 14k single track but it smashed me.

anyway here is the new ride.

Nice bike. I'm on a GT sensor & ride the 20km of single track over my back fence a few times a week. And every month or so I take on a 50/60 km ride. Its a awsome way to keep fit hey!

what yr is the Gt? i noticed the later model sensor has a lower shock position then the older ones, hare they also running a 27.5" rim?
Its good to have a track in your back yard mate, i thought i would get the bike because not only is it a good way to get fit its allot more enjoyable then jogging.

Nice bike. I'm on a GT sensor & ride the 20km of single track over my back fence a few times a week. And every month or so I take on a 50/60 km ride. Its a awsome way to keep fit hey!
If you don't mind me asking, how long does a 20km ride take? I'm going to have to make time for myself and get mine out of the shed as I also have a track out my back fence. What sort of shoes do you guys use? I am in the need of something to stop my feet from sliding of the peddles.

Cheers Brad

I got a shimano mountain bike
I haven't used it much lately
but I will be in 2 weeks holiday so
might take it out again

If you don't mind me asking, how long does a 20km ride take? I'm going to have to make time for myself and get mine out of the shed as I also have a track out my back fence. What sort of shoes do you guys use? I am in the need of something to stop my feet from sliding of the peddles.

Cheers Brad

Its all based on yor fitness/skills, but Set aside 2hrs and you should get change out of that. Last 50km race I did I managed in 3hrs, the winner in my class did it in 2hr15m!!

The shoes you get will depend on your pedals, if you're running generic plastic pedals then youll probably want to just get used to slipping, better alloy ones with nice grippy pins will benefit from a set of good flat sole shoes. I swear by clipless though, its a little daunting at first but theres nothing like knowing your feet cant come off mid air.

Have fun! Theres no better sport for getting im shape, it Burns fat like nobodys business and its buckets of fun to boot.

what yr is the Gt? i noticed the later model sensor has a lower shock position then the older ones, hare they also running a 27.5" rim?
Its good to have a track in your back yard mate, i thought i would get the bike because not only is it a good way to get fit its allot more enjoyable then jogging.

Its a 2011 - so its got the shock in the middle, which works fine except that the drink cage sits on the front of the frame and gets covered in mud.

They have changed the design (27.5" too) - still based on i-drive but with the lower shock, which I think is for aesthetics more than anything. They also increased the price quite a bit - base model sensor is now $3k.

Mine will do me a bit longer, then I want a rocky mountain or a cube -- but they're both big bucks ($4-5k)

And yeah, jogging sucks balls!

Cheers Brad

Depends on the grading of the track, topography, substrate etc. On a blue track (moderate) I expect to travel between 12 to 14 kph (average speed) but some of the guns down here go at 20+ kph. Easier stuff I go faster, and on black diamond I clench and hope for the best - so just finishing is enough for me.

I use shimano SPD pedals (shoes with cleats) and don't move at all -- but that takes some getting used to (it aint natural to clip yourself to a bike). If that's not your thing you may want to look at some mallet type pedals with replaceable pins (it'll make sense when you see them) and some softish soled shoes (think skate board punk) -- that's what the Down Hill heroes use (nutters).

Cheers Brad

Brad with flat peddles a skate type shoe like "GLOBE" ect will be the best bet, and thats what i have always used but as Nakedape said i am coming from a downhill/motox background, BUT i am just about to go and pick up my new clip style peddle and shoes which everyone tells me is the go for enduro/ x country style of riding that i am setting my self up for.
However i am a bit nervous about my first high speed crash with the bloody bike still attached to my feet, i can see a bit of scorpion style face plant action coming up ............. oooouuuuccchhhhh!!!!!
my first ride with them will consist of me riding along and clipping in and out, in and out until my brain gets used to the fact i cant just pop my foot off the peddle as easy as i am use to.

Its a 2011 - so its got the shock in the middle, which works fine except that the drink cage sits on the front of the frame and gets covered in mud.

They have changed the design (27.5" too) - still based on i-drive but with the lower shock, which I think is for aesthetics more than anything. They also increased the price quite a bit - base model sensor is now $3k.

Mine will do me a bit longer, then I want a rocky mountain or a cube -- but they're both big bucks ($4-5k)

And yeah, jogging sucks balls!

27.5 seems to be all the go for the moment, it was the 29er not long ago.

Im really not sure how much i will even notice it to be honest, im sure a 26" wheel would be fine but i got an awesome deal on the giant so i grabbed it,
was $3400 and i got it for $2500 with the seat and grips i wanted and also a pair of gloves and helmet thrown in. I then heckled for the a good price on the peddles (shimano spd m530), shoes (shimano xc60), MB shorts( netti basic) and MB shirt (bontrager) which i ended up getting for $230 inc a couple of power links lol got keep em honest i say haha

Like any sport or hobby BLOODY HECK you can spend some coin if you want.
My brother was looking at a yeti for 6k and has just decided to stop being foolish lol and has also bought the new Trance like mine but in a large and upgraded the wheels and tyres straight off the bat.

now i have spent the coin i just need to use it and make the most of it, or it will just be a waist.
So far though i am keen as to go riding and find new tracks and get fitter in the process.

Yeah wheel size?! Pick a size and go for it I say - pros and cons for all of them.

I came from a roadie using clip-less pedals so the transition wasn't a big deal - but yeah, the first few rides should be on really easy tracks just practicing getting in and out (and set them as loose as possible). I find them more efficient but really, if you've got good technique flats are just as good.

ok so just picked up the new peddles and shoes (which ended up being M162's) i have done as you suggested and backed the peddles right off.
I will take my son for a few km's up to the BMX jumps and practice getting in and out.

For the short ride home they seem really comfy and actually easier then i remember, see what i say after i take a soil sample with my face for the first time!! lol

what do you think Nakedape, will these do the job??

Last edited:
Cool. The cages will give you a little extra support & comfort when you ride unclipped on rough stuff.

I forego the cages - but that's just me.

Thanks nakedape and Nath, I'm not comfortable with clipping my boots to the pedals but you've given me somewhere to start off. Just need to lift my growing bulk onto the treddley now!

Cheers Brad

Latest posts

Back