ARB snorkel or Nissan Genuine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i prefer the safari snorkel, looks a bit tougher i think and i also reckon they would work a bit better on the highway in scooping the air and forcing it down the inlet. i picked mine up for about 400 from memory and fitted it myself, was a time consuming job but easy at that

I had the dealer install the Nissan (Airtec) snorkel on my GU Patrol when I bought that some years ago. River crossing collapsed...things just got worse from there. Anyway, the poorly installed snorkel leaked, and the engine went bang.

Thankfully it was all covered in the insurance claim, however I learned one important lesson from that little incident - never trust the installation of important off-road items to dealership pre-delivery installers.

Take the head off and hold a thick plastic bag over it, it should stall, if it doesn't you need to start looking for leaks.

spoke with ARB and just confirmed that they do paint seal on all drilled/cut sections and they use stainless steel nuts/bolts...il check that when its done..

I covered my intake this afternoon and the thing just kept purring.

A peek inside reveals a loosely fitted connection into the guard with a piece of sponge that ought to be firmer in place. I don't think it's in right. I'm thinking that if we waded through some water we'd be watching it go bang ... so I'm going to investigate it some more, first by asking the dealer if he doesn't object to me sealing the thing up properly, then by actually connecting things where they're supposed to and giving it a good caulking.

Take the head off and hold a thick plastic bag over it, it should stall, if it doesn't you need to start looking for leaks.

Tried this before with some of that tough 2mm foam packing fabric stuff doubled over and the damned engine just sucked it straight down....
lucky the filter got in the way.
Boy..thats a lot of suction.

Tried this before with some of that tough 2mm foam packing fabric stuff doubled over and the damned engine just sucked it straight down....

Ha ha, yeah I had some bad thoughts when I was doing it, I haven't tested it since I fixed it all up, will do it this weekend. Couldn't do it straight after I sealed it up as the sika was still wet.

hahahaha krankin thats the funniest thing iv heard...i could just imagine ur eyes were just like 0_0 oh f*&^%

Yeah, ya not wrong.

Could have been very painfull result.

Held up tight first second or two, the tubing starting to collapse in from suction (no leaking), engine didnt bat an eyelid,
then BANG, down it went.

OOPS!

Yeah, definitely use Sikaflex for the sealing job (but I can't recall which type of sikaflex from memory....there is a specific compound recommended though).

As for which is better.....which one do YOU prefer.

If you are interested in a cyclonic precleaner for extreme dusty environments, then a Safari is realistically your only choice - due to the design of the snorkel head, the safari snorkel body is the only one that can take a cyclonic pre cleaner. People don't use them much these days, but with the tiny little rectagular paper filters on vehicles like the Navara, I would have thought cyclonic precleaners would be more popular than they are for outback/remote area travel. But apart from that, whichever one you like the look of best, or whichever one you can get the best deal on.

What is of PRIMARY importance is the quality of the installation...as I alluded to in my previous post. No point in having a snorkel if it isn't sealed properly (unless of course you just got it installed for looks only).

Last edited:
OK got the ARB fitted today and did the plastic bag test instead it wasnt a plastic bag...i used my arm over the hole and it actually drew specs of blood and hurt like hell...and thankfully it stalled. so im pretty happy with it all...still waiting to get my diff breather kit...cant wait then i can go swimming..

Latest posts

Back