ARB snorkel or Nissan Genuine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In mine, the filter sits above the point in the filter box where the air enters, so water would have to defy gravity in order to pass through it. Given that the majority of the water would strike the back of the snorkel opening, it would be running down the back of the snorkel, enter the box and pool in the bottom if it were completely sealed.

That raises a good point. What happens to that water when there's a lot of it? We drove through significant amounts of rain (and fog) at Christmas and didn't seem to have a problem with the engine ingesting water, so it must have gone somewhere.

I know what you're implying - that a really good seal on the snorkel system could result in the air filter chamber filling with water with the inevitable gulping of this by the engine, which basically means "water tight seal = inevitable disaster".

I wonder if that's avoidable for those that want to go dunking their windscreens. Personally I don't, but the service manager at my dealership said that he'd seen a Nav with sea water halfway up its windscreen and going strong. I don't doubt it could be done, especially with some of the movies we've seen linked to here.

But you raise a really good point: what would you do with the water collecting in the box, if you had the need to ford deep crossings a lot and were caught in a heavy storm? Bilge pump time?

There is a one way valve in the bottom the the air box.

On the Airtec (Nissan factory) snorkel the tube that extends up the A pillar goes a fair bit into the head, the theory is that the water hits the back/walls of the head and drains out at the bottom rear of the head. It works, I've watched it while driving in the rain.

Also the external piece that runs along your fender has a low 'trough' that can catch water and slowly be evaporated off.

I believe the one way valve in the airbox, if fitted (mine doesn't have one), should be sealed when fitting a snorkel? Some people don't think this is the case though.

No one-way valve installed (nor a provision for one) in my 08 build D40 either.

I'm fairly sure it's in the lower section which is basically act as a water separator, although I admit I haven't looked myself.

See attached

Attachments

• airbox.jpg
    airbox.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 87
for my safari snorkel the top head is designed in the way when rains gets in it the water is drained naturally thru these drain slots.

this was an interesing find could be bs though:

"the amount of water you are going to get from driving in the rain will accually be good for your motor as it will steam clean it you think about it you are not going to suck in 3ltrs in one gulp just small amounts and while your motor is hot and running it boils the water and you only have water vapor then with more oxygen entering your motor

I DONT RECOMENDING POURING WATER INTO YOUR INTAKE BUT THAT LITTLE AMOUNT FROM RAIN WONT HURT..."

Just been reading the fitting instructions for my Nissan snorkel and found..."use cold cure silicon or urethane" when assembling joints and
"To ensure an airtight seal on your system, use cold cure silicon or urethane on the joints of all under bonnet plumbing".
Dean

Just been reading the fitting instructions for my Nissan snorkel and found..."use cold cure silicon or urethane" when assembling joints and
"To ensure an airtight seal on your system, use cold cure silicon or urethane on the joints of all under bonnet plumbing".
Dean

Just re-read my instructions and no mention of the above.
None the less I am satisfied with the foam gaskets and with the fittment.

Found a pic of the theory I was trying describe

snrkl_raindisperse.jpg

Had mine apart today for another reason and found the picture shown exaggerates the length of pipe protruding up into the scoop,(on the oem snorkle)
and i also found evidence of water flowing down the tube.

oem wouldnt have much pipe protruding as the head on them are tiny as...nice slick looking which what i wanted but found the safari seemed better practical design.

Lots of good info in this thread,worth a bump i rekon.
After a bit of research i'm looking at the safari snorkel,purely because the hat can be turned 180 dgs which is recommended for driving while it is snowing,which i do a bit of.
Anyone know of a good snorkel fitter in melbourne?

safari snorkel is like me doesnt look that flash but gets the job done -only manufactures that test their product s for airflow
navarian
have u fitted the safari yet
it really is a breeze
the instructions are easy if u dont mind cutting holes
and the holes for the bolts seems excessive -16 or 18 mm
u will need a ratchet spanner in 13mm except if u have very small hands
i will be in melbourne just before or after newyears on way to tassie, if u wanted i could help u fit- gonna cost u a sixpack tho- it isa 3-3.5 hr install 2.5 if u have done 1 before

being new to forum i just found this topic but will say the following
I WILL NEVER EVER TRUST an installer if i cant look over his shoulder while he does it
dont tell me safety etc i will bring boots, glasses etc
if i cant i will go somewhere where i can
\mostly ends up being my backyard ;p
saw 2 installed by 3 letter installers fail and lead to serious damage not enough sealant 1 and no curing time allowed for the other /too sparingly used
if u are doing your own
the d40 airbox have3 mounting points 2 bolts u loosen 1 on firewall side -easy to see the other under the paper air filter cartridge the 3rd bast,rd sits where u can not get to it close to the headlight --this one just pulls off- do not try to undo it- just pull the filter box straight up

called TJM on the gold coast today and asked for a price and they quoted $480. So i called Nissan Parts and asked for a price which they quoted $360. Think i know which one i will be getting. Liked the genuine look better as well.

safari snorkel is like me doesnt look that flash but gets the job done -only manufactures that test their product s for airflow
navarian
have u fitted the safari yet
it really is a breeze
the instructions are easy if u dont mind cutting holes
and the holes for the bolts seems excessive -16 or 18 mm
u will need a ratchet spanner in 13mm except if u have very small hands
i will be in melbourne just before or after newyears on way to tassie, if u wanted i could help u fit- gonna cost u a sixpack tho- it isa 3-3.5 hr install 2.5 if u have done 1 before

being new to forum i just found this topic but will say the following
I WILL NEVER EVER TRUST an installer if i cant look over his shoulder while he does it
dont tell me safety etc i will bring boots, glasses etc
if i cant i will go somewhere where i can
\mostly ends up being my backyard ;p
saw 2 installed by 3 letter installers fail and lead to serious damage not enough sealant 1 and no curing time allowed for the other /too sparingly used
if u are doing your own
the d40 airbox have3 mounting points 2 bolts u loosen 1 on firewall side -easy to see the other under the paper air filter cartridge the 3rd bast,rd sits where u can not get to it close to the headlight --this one just pulls off- do not try to undo it- just pull the filter box straight up

Cheers shark,thanks for the offer and advice. I appreciate it.I ended up buying an air flow,the guy i'm getting to fit it has done a few mostly on vehicles he has owned.He is a diesal mechanic and sevices our work trucks.
I have seen his work and it's spot on.Trusted but i'll still be watching.

According to the pics I received this morning it has now been done. ( been out of phone range all week)
Dont chuck out the Bra though still useful for river crossings even with a snorkel.

Yep,we fitted it yesterday. Air flow snorkel,what a nightmare to fit to a D40.Much trimming of the plumbing including the part of the snorkel that goes through the guard.Found a small hole in the seam of the snorkel that had to be plugged with sikaflex.Poorly manufactured,poor alignment with the vehicle.I will never buy another thats for sure.Did the seal test this arvo and it stalled in about 4 seconds.
Thank god that is over and done with.
PC240333.jpg

Yep,we fitted it yesterday. Air flow snorkel,what a nightmare to fit to a D40.Much trimming of the plumbing including the part of the snorkel that goes through the guard.Found a small hole in the seam of the snorkel that had to be plugged with sikaflex.Poorly manufactured,poor alignment with the vehicle.I will never buy another thats for sure.Did the seal test this arvo and it stalled in about 4 seconds.
Thank god that is over and done with.
PC240333.jpg

Looks the goods Ian, I installed one on a Hilux, never again far easy to pay someone else.

Need to test it out in the Murray River at Tom Groggin I reckons.:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back