ARB snorkel or Nissan Genuine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to trust Nissan dealerships on the fact they'll do the job perfectly with no shortcuts, to come home and have to test for air leaks after you've just forked out a few hundred clams for installation is very bloody disappointing.

A few of these stories have got me very concerned, i suppose when i book it in to get done I'll stress the point on how fussy i am about the job being done right and that the snorkel isn't just being put on for looks but has to do what its designed for.

One other thing, is there a noticeable power loss when fitting a snorkel?

You should be able to trust Nissan dealerships on the fact they'll do the job perfectly with no shortcuts, to come home and have to test for air leaks after you've just forked out a few hundred clams for installation is very bloody disappointing.

A few of these stories have got me very concerned, i suppose when i book it in to get done I'll stress the point on how fussy i am about the job being done right and that the snorkel isn't just being put on for looks but has to do what its designed for.

One other thing, is there a noticeable power loss when fitting a snorkel?

"they'll do the job perfectly with no shortcuts, "

In a perfect world maybe...

without results of a before and after on a dyno we wont exactly know,

but I've not seen a power difference apart from not have to replace the filter every 2 weeks due to working along dirt roads

this is becoming an interesting debate ;-)

i called ARB and the way they test all their snorkels is by taking the head off and top it with a rubber cap and wait for the car to stall. so i asked dont u have to wait for the silicon to dry and he said they use this "special" stuff that dries in 30mins.

he also said u could use wd40 around the joins and see if the engine revs goes up...but just a little not too much but he said the rubber cap is most effective.

the wd40 test sounds good

this is becoming an interesting debate ;-)

i called ARB and the way they test all their snorkels is by taking the head off and top it with a rubber cap and wait for the car to stall. so i asked dont u have to wait for the silicon to dry and he said they use this "special" stuff that dries in 30mins.

he also said u could use wd40 around the joins and see if the engine revs goes up...but just a little not too much but he said the rubber cap is most effective.

the wd40 test sounds good

Next time you talk to ARB,
ask them to specify what this "SPECIAL" stuff is..

That's the stuff I used, it was at Supercheap Auto, not sure if it's that special though. :/

black automotive sikaflex

Thanks mate...

just not sure about the 30min cure time.

is this stuff a urethane product that fully cures, or,
like a the older windscreen sealant thats non- structural and stays relatively soft.

Thanks mate...

just not sure about the 30min cure time.

is this stuff a urethane product that fully cures, or,
like a the older windscreen sealant thats non- structural and stays relatively soft.

oh mate i got nfi. i just called them and asked what they used lol.

30mins seems a bit to quick as well. i would say 48hrs would be sufficient.

Polyethylene?

Too early for so many poly's Anthony :p

Yeah, that's the one :) Same stuff as your wheelie bin and nearly every second sea kayak is made out of these days.

Interestingly....with sea kayaks, silicone is a big no-no. Not water tight against the poly...roto...stuff :) Some people swear by Selleys All Clear to give a seal, others use polyurethane sealants. But silicone is not used.

Yeah it's fine so far. No complaints. The only bad thing about Sika is the relatively short shelf life, especially once opened. They need to sell smaller tubes.

If you have got a spare fridge chuck it in there, it lasts a bit longer in there.

Don't put it in the kitchen fridge though, or at least if you do, don't tell your missus it was my idea! :big_smile:

If you have got a spare fridge chuck it in there, it lasts a bit longer in there.

Don't put it in the kitchen fridge though, or at least if you do, don't tell your missus it was my idea! :big_smile:

and on that note...

'super glue's' stored in the fridge last till used up.

and on that note...

'super glue's' stored in the fridge last till used up.

You run the risk of having your meat stick to the first thing it touches when you pull it out - that could be highly embarrassing. Not to mention that kids often taste-test stuff that is in the fridge (well, ours did) and while the idea of sealin' up their lips for a while is highly tantalizing, removal of decent quality cyano acrylate (the proper name for super glue) is sometimes horribly painful.

I'd caution any of our readers to put any of these products into a fridge that kids can't generally get their hands into.

(It should be noted that the primary goal of this particular post is to exercise the funny bone rather than the warning bell).

You run the risk of having your meat stick to the first thing it touches when you pull it out - that could be highly embarrassing. Not to mention that kids often taste-test stuff that is in the fridge (well, ours did) and while the idea of sealin' up their lips for a while is highly tantalizing, removal of decent quality cyano acrylate (the proper name for super glue) is sometimes horribly painful.

I'd caution any of our readers to put any of these products into a fridge that kids can't generally get their hands into.

(It should be noted that the primary goal of this particular post is to exercise the funny bone rather than the warning bell).

Iwas going to put Cyano....but thought many would question it..

and yes 'Keep out of reach of children'

Have a question...

Where does the water go when sucked or driven into the intake when raining:questionmark:

In mine, the filter sits above the point in the filter box where the air enters, so water would have to defy gravity in order to pass through it. Given that the majority of the water would strike the back of the snorkel opening, it would be running down the back of the snorkel, enter the box and pool in the bottom if it were completely sealed.

That raises a good point. What happens to that water when there's a lot of it? We drove through significant amounts of rain (and fog) at Christmas and didn't seem to have a problem with the engine ingesting water, so it must have gone somewhere.

I know what you're implying - that a really good seal on the snorkel system could result in the air filter chamber filling with water with the inevitable gulping of this by the engine, which basically means "water tight seal = inevitable disaster".

I wonder if that's avoidable for those that want to go dunking their windscreens. Personally I don't, but the service manager at my dealership said that he'd seen a Nav with sea water halfway up its windscreen and going strong. I don't doubt it could be done, especially with some of the movies we've seen linked to here.

But you raise a really good point: what would you do with the water collecting in the box, if you had the need to ford deep crossings a lot and were caught in a heavy storm? Bilge pump time?

Latest posts

Back