Auxillary battery and winch.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold Nav

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a second battery in my tub, but was wondering what others have done to wire up a winch? Run a cable from the 2nd battery or wire winch to cranking battery? I assume a winch would quickly discharge the starter battery. Would a long run of cable from tub battery to winch be ok to power winch? Or is there a batter way to set the system up?

Hi all, I have a second battery in my tub, but was wondering what others have done to wire up a winch? Run a cable from the 2nd battery or wire winch to cranking battery? I assume a winch would quickly discharge the starter battery. Would a long run of cable from tub battery to winch be ok to power winch? Or is there a batter way to set the system up?
Defiantly wire direct to the cranker and idle whilst the winch is in use, winches draw an enormous amount of current and would flatten the aux battery very quickly. Even if you did power it off the rear battery you would need 12mm cable and the duel battery setup be it vsr or dc/dc would never be able to keep up with the amount of power the winch would draw.

No problem mate, a good idea is to fit the largest capacity cranker you can, I also have an in cab digital volt metre wired direct to the cranker so I always know what its condition is.

What John says - 400A over cables more than 3m long is not desirable anyway. Winching should be kept to a minimum - 2 minutes or so is reasonable.

In 2 minutes you'd use (say) 400 * 2/60 = 13Ah of your battery will will take about 25 minutes to restore when driving with the alternator (assuming not much else running like driving lights or 1600W doof-doofs). A typical cranker only has 55Ah or so, so 13Ah represents just under a quarter of its total capacity - and half of its recommended usage capacity - drained in just 2 minutes.

Cheers Tony, sounds like good advice. think ill also invest in a volt meter has suggested by John.

Latest posts

Back