Beginner 4wd tracks Central Coast, NSW

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So OP are you home now? I'm close to goulborn if need any parts
Yep, I'm home now. It was a struggle. I don't know how I made it but did it with difficulty. Had to go easy...so many hills and windies. Chucking the hazards on every time I started losing revs getting up a hill. I had to do little run offs to pick up speed to get up them, hoping to god I didn't get a speeding fine. I wish I knew you were close to Goulburn before :( bugger.

Have you changed the fuel filter yet, the way your post read was that you bought one but hadn't fitted it, is that right. I know i copped a bad batch of fuel at Easter two years ago. The nav towed fine going up the river and I fuelled up and drove home 4 days later and straight away I struggled to get over about 85/90. Made it home and filled up and my regular servo and changed fuel filter and it was fine again. Taking off the filter the bottom had water and black crap in it and the filter paper seemed very dark.

Actually from memory mine was fine in first second and third, pushing fourth and into fifth was most noticeable

Have you changed the fuel filter yet, the way your post read was that you bought one but hadn't fitted it, is that right. I know i copped a bad batch of fuel at Easter two years ago. The nav towed fine going up the river and I fuelled up and drove home 4 days later and straight away I struggled to get over about 85/90. Made it home and filled up and my regular servo and changed fuel filter and it was fine again. Taking off the filter the bottom had water and black crap in it and the filter paper seemed very dark.

No not yet. I bought a Ryco one because that's all that was available and because of the public holiday tomorrow I won't be able to get anything else thats needed until Tuesday. I read that non Nissan branded ones tend to bugger up?
I'm struggling to do highway speeds. 85-90 is alright but anything above forget it! It has slightly improved after putting in vortex diesel but still not great.

Actually from memory mine was fine in first second and third, pushing fourth and into fifth was most noticeable

Mines fine in 1st to 3rd but 4th and 5th is dodgy.

No not yet. I bought a Ryco one because that's all that was available and because of the public holiday tomorrow I won't be able to get anything else thats needed until Tuesday. I read that non Nissan branded ones tend to bugger up?
I'm struggling to do highway speeds. 85-90 is alright but anything above forget it! It has slightly improved after putting in vortex diesel but still not great.

Dodgy on 4th and 5th could be the neutral position switch. ..

The aftermarket filters don't stuff up, the people fitting them do. Just get a little bit of new engine oil or diesel from the old filter and rub it on the o ring seal on the top of the filter before fitting it to lube the seal first and it will be fine...

Dodgy on 4th and 5th could be the neutral position switch. ..

The aftermarket filters don't stuff up, the people fitting them do. Just get a little bit of new engine oil or diesel from the old filter and rub it on the o ring seal on the top of the filter before fitting it to lube the seal first and it will be fine...

I did the test for that and it was fine.

Re: aftermarket filters, I was told by a mechanic that they cause an error to pop up? Don't they have one less O ring or something?

I did the test for that and it was fine.

Re: aftermarket filters, I was told by a mechanic that they cause an error to pop up? Don't they have one less O ring or something?

Some of them do, I us usually only use genuine filters in my truck, I know the ryco was all that u could get at the time and it will do the job but personally I'd be getting a genuine filter to go in it. Do not use engine oil to lubricant the o ring! This will contaminate the fuel and you will be back to square one, only use diesel fuel on the fuel filter o ring. Just like if you were replacing a coolant hose for example, you wouldn't use engine oil on that either.
Cheers deano

Some of them do, I us usually only use genuine filters in my truck, I know the ryco was all that u could get at the time and it will do the job but personally I'd be getting a genuine filter to go in it. Do not use engine oil to lubricant the o ring! This will contaminate the fuel and you will be back to square one, only use diesel fuel on the fuel filter o ring. Just like if you were replacing a coolant hose for example, you wouldn't use engine oil on that either.
Cheers deano
I've always used ryco and k&n in my other cars and never had a problem but just concerned with this one because I was told by a mechanic that a non genuine throws error codes. I suppose all I can do is try it and see how it goes.

Cheers deano
I've always used ryco and k&n in my other cars and never had a problem but just concerned with this one because I was told by a mechanic that a non genuine throws error codes. I suppose all I can do is try it and see how it goes, if it doesn't bugger up I'll keep it in.

Cheers deano

A thin smear to moisten the o ring is going to hurt anything, but personally what ever the filter is for ie fuel or oil to moisten the seal. It's what I do at work on all the hydraulic,oil and fuel filters. As far as ryco go I've been running ryco fuel and oil in my nav for 80 thou, mines the zd30 and I haven't had fuel filter issue

Put the fuel filter in, for $30 you will soon know if it's better.

Fuel flow is important at higher RPM but there are a few other questions to ask.

1) NPS - did you disconnect it, or just do the heater test? Try disconnecting it. The heater test is a good test, but there's nothing like just tossing the NPS out of the equation altogether and being sure.

2) Is there a lot of smoke? If so, your fuel flow is likely to be good, and it's the air flow causing the problem unless at the higher rates you have an injector misbehaving. Liqui Moly Injector Cleaner did wonders for my engine (and several other members). I would suggest it as a good $30 investment (SuperCheap Auto sell it).

3) Caltex Vortex Diesel is okay (slightly better in cetane rating than Shell) but BP Ultimate Diesel has the highest cetane number and has cleaners and antifoaming agents added.

4) Not sure if yours has a SCV on the fuel pump but injector cleaner might sort that out too. Try loosening your fuel cap, if it removes the problem then either the SCV is dirty or the fuel tank breather is.

I'm assuming of course that you've checked the turbocharger - and that by saying "it is fine in 1st to 3rd" then the turbo is probably behaving properly. Still smacks of the NPS if everything is absolutely normal in the lower gears.

Here's something to try: on a steep incline, start climbing in first, then second. If the car pulls strongly in 2nd up a steep hill at 3000-3500rpm, the fuel is fine, the filter is fine, the turbo is fine, and you're back to unplugging the NPS.

A thin smear to moisten the o ring is going to hurt anything, but personally what ever the filter is for ie fuel or oil to moisten the seal. It's what I do at work on all the hydraulic,oil and fuel filters. As far as ryco go I've been running ryco fuel and oil in my nav for 80 thou, mines the zd30 and I haven't had fuel filter issue

I was going to do a light smear of fuel. Makes sense to seal it with whatever it's related to.
Yeah, I've heard mixed reports about Ryco, mainly throwing error codes.

Fuel flow is important at higher RPM but there are a few other questions to ask.

1) NPS - did you disconnect it, or just do the heater test? Try disconnecting it. The heater test is a good test, but there's nothing like just tossing the NPS out of the equation altogether and being sure.

2) Is there a lot of smoke? If so, your fuel flow is likely to be good, and it's the air flow causing the problem unless at the higher rates you have an injector misbehaving. Liqui Moly Injector Cleaner did wonders for my engine (and several other members). I would suggest it as a good $30 investment (SuperCheap Auto sell it).

3) Caltex Vortex Diesel is okay (slightly better in cetane rating than Shell) but BP Ultimate Diesel has the highest cetane number and has cleaners and antifoaming agents added.

4) Not sure if yours has a SCV on the fuel pump but injector cleaner might sort that out too. Try loosening your fuel cap, if it removes the problem then either the SCV is dirty or the fuel tank breather is.

I'm assuming of course that you've checked the turbocharger - and that by saying "it is fine in 1st to 3rd" then the turbo is probably behaving properly. Still smacks of the NPS if everything is absolutely normal in the lower gears.

Here's something to try: on a steep incline, start climbing in first, then second. If the car pulls strongly in 2nd up a steep hill at 3000-3500rpm, the fuel is fine, the filter is fine, the turbo is fine, and you're back to unplugging the NPS.

No, didn't disconnect it. Only did heater test. From what I read, it passed that. Maybe if I posted a video you could tell from that?

Not much smoke. I bought a different kind of cleaner. This one..
uploadfromtaptalk1412553741379.jpg

As for fuel, I'll give the BP Ultimate a go next time I refuel.

I thought it did have a SCV on the injector but will need to double check. Can you suggest a good injector cleaner? when you say try loosening your fuel cap, how loose and for how long etc?

The turbo seems to be fine and yep, it has plenty of grunt in 1st-3rd and pretty much 4th as well. Its mainly 5th and on the freeway with slight gradual inclines doing higher speeds it'll drop revs and go all sluggish and jumpy that's when I'd go down to 4th to try build it back up again and it'll do the same in 4th. That seems to be the only time it happens in 4th though.

I'll try that hillclimb test tomorrow.

Thanks for your help! You're very knowledgeable :)

I was going to take it to my mechanic as it's due for a service in about 5k anyway but he's been flat out lately and I work a lot so it's hard to fit it in. Do you know any other good mechanics? I'm on the Central Coast.

Last edited:
Back