BEHOLD!!! Pics of steering dampener

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reuse the same bolts if you want but it comes with I think. If you have the idler arm brace you will need longer bolts anyway to be able to bolt both on.
Is there an idler arm brace in the 2005 D22? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I'm about to order a Rancho Damper and need to know if I should grab longer bolts. Cheers T

they don't SOLVE the problem, it simply HIDES the problem.

it SOLVES it, the problem in the first place is they don't have a dampener from the factory so the steering is persuaded by the road camber very easily, hence this helps it

Tony the idler arm brace is not a standard feature. Its an add on aftermarket part. So the bolts that come in the pack will be fine.

This is interesting info. Mixed opinions but i guess you don't know till you get one yourself. I am adding one to my todo list.

Tony the idler arm brace is not a standard feature. Its an add on aftermarket part. So the bolts that come in the pack will be fine. This is interesting info. Mixed opinions but i guess you don't know till you get one yourself. I am adding one to my todo list.
Cheers Rusty. I'll let you know how it feels once installed. :thank_you2:

I think tweak is saying they dont do anything to help wheel allignment, balance, big tyres etc, they will just make any problems less noticable as the damper absorbs a lot of the vibrations etc, They make it more comfortable.
I think it would help steering components to a degree.

Oh I also realised the d21 steering dampers are quite different to the d22, not just the brackets. The d21 damper has eyelet ends, not studs like the rancho.

I went down the same road. Fitted the Rancho damper and it was good for a while but then it "knocked" when turning when I was going slow. When I became serious and had a good look underneath, I realised that my 08 CRD was just about riding on the bump stops most of the time.

The standard torsion bars are nothing short of junk. Fitted a set of tuff dog torsion bars with the appropriate height and wow, what a great ride. Then fitted a set of comfort tuff dog rear springs, poly bushes and greasable shackles and pins and then unbelievable. Already had Oztec shocks which are pretty much the same as EFS shocks. They come out of the same factory.

This setup is great. Running Bridgestone LT D694 AT's on it also.

The factory suspension on the D22 is absolute crap....A steering damper alone will not fix it. Also after all the work had a front end alignment done.

Forgot to mention in the middle of all the work Nissan swapped out my steering box under warranty as it had the "Ping Pong" effect happening.

My 2008 CRD went on the road early Jan 2009, was built in Japan and has only 30,000 klms on the clock.

Guys I just fit the Rancho Steering Dampener & low & behold the truck has stopped wandering all over the road. Almost the best $198 I've spent on the truck (that being said I've spent lots of good money on the truck :))

Attachments

• IMAG0200.jpg
    IMAG0200.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 224
A steering damper does not improve handling what so ever. If it did then you have other problems as Tweake said, and damper is just masking it.
Reduced steering vibration is about all it does. It doesn't fix, Bump steer, roll steer, toe, castor, camber or magically repair worn out bushes or joints.

A steering damper does not improve handling what so ever. If it did then you have other problems as Tweake said, and damper is just masking it.
Reduced steering vibration is about all it does. It doesn't fix, Bump steer, roll steer, toe, castor, camber or magically repair worn out bushes or joints.

Hi there, I can tell you no worn bushes. etc. Truck only has under 4000km on it. I bought it new December '11 & have found the truck follow's the road more noticeably than any other car or truck I've ever had. I travel down Canterbury Rd (Vic) every day & the left lane has shocking camber pull. Till I fit the dampener the truck would wander & it was hard to keep a straight line there, frewways etc which are nice & flat were no problem.

Now that I've fit this I no longer have the vehicle wandering. Believe it or not, I'm just telling my experience.

Oh sweet. Thanks for the write up and pics. Looks dam simple to install.$198 posted is good price. I think that ehat Zordo does them for aswell or lil cheaper I can't remember. Just something I noticed on your bushes. Are they over tightened? Just seem to be bulging alot.

Thanks heaps

Don't mean to be critical but I have to agree the bushes are too tight, they won't last long bulging like that, thanks for posting up, can't believe they don't have them as standard.

Might be a bit tight (I agree). I'm a nut when it comes to nuts :) It's only rubber. I was more paranoid about getting knocking noises because they were too loose once settled. Because I have the bash plate fitted I didn't want to have to muck around again.

yeah i know they were tight but that was only a test fitting, had to allign it to centre the dampner and let them a bit looser after that

I fitted one of these to my 05 STR 3.0 yesterday, only took about 40 mins and definitely worth the money for the reduced vibrations through the steering wheel alone. Will put some pics up asap.

finally got the pics off my phone, how does it take two days for an email to arrive??

Attachments

• Steering damper.jpg
    Steering damper.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Mounting bracket.jpg
    Mounting bracket.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 183
  • cylinder end.jpg
    cylinder end.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 177
Forgot to mention I have installed one as well. I am quite happy with it for on road. Yet to test it off road. I had to get longer bolts to fit my idler arm brace. I forgot to take pictures before I put the bash plate back on.

Yeah I went down and got some bolts 10mm longer as well so will swap them out tomorrow. The bolts supplied with it fitted up fine but the thread was only just reaching the nyloc on the new nuts so I wasnt entirely happy with it. Might need some fine adjustment but am really happy with the difference.

Latest posts

Back