Best mods for stock exhaust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckenna2208

Reaction score
Hi,
Fairly new to the navara world and this forum.
Just wondering if there are any mods I can do to the stock exhaust to lower egts and help flow.?
I eventually will purchase a straight through exhaust but until I get the money any info is appreciated.
Thanks

Hey mate. There's not a lot you can do, short of replacing it. The problem is the small dump pipe and sharp narrow bends. I did make a new rear section for my 2010 from the join at the transfer case all the way back and even though it gave it better sound, it did nothing to reduce the egts... since then I have put a 3" xforce on and chopped the muffler out. Has a hell of a note now and the egts are a bit lower all round, but do drop a lot quicker when parking up too, as there's no big cast dump pipe to hold a heap of heat right at the back of the turbo...

At a touch over 500 for a whole new 3" system you'd be mad to be spending money modifying the stock system

i wouild buy a 3 inch dump pipe [ stock dump is no good ] and have an exhaust shop weld a 3 inch flange onto your existing 2.5 inch pipe system where it meets the new 3 inch dump pipe flange then later down the track you just need to fit a 3 inch straight through system that will bolt straight onto the 3 inch dump you fitted .

stay away from 3" exhausts on a standart d22 because you will lose power rather than gain some. you always need some backpressure so stay 2.5" like stock no matter what. a turbo back 2.5" would be the best but not the worth the money in my opinion, on stock always!

stay away from 3" exhausts on a standart d22 because you will lose power rather than gain some. you always need some backpressure so stay 2.5" like stock no matter what. a turbo back 2.5" would be the best but not the worth the money in my opinion, on stock always!
not sure about that, my sons d22 has more torque down low than my d22. he has a 3 inch system and i have a stock system.

Ebay mate!
Look for dea exhaust
Like old mate said. Make sure you get a muffler in the line. Just added one to my d40 after not having a muffler for 6 months definitely runs better

make sure you get a system that is for your 2.5 litre size engine not the 3 litre in link. [ the 3 litre dump pipe to turbo end is different to the 2.5 litre.]

I own a 3 litre mate so it's sweet.

Does anybody own one of these exhausts?
Was there much difference in power? And what was the note like?

not sure about that, my sons d22 has more torque down low than my d22. he has a 3 inch system and i have a stock system.

maybe but a neighbour did this, straight through 3" with no other mods at all, like raising turbo pressure or using a perfomance chip and i could overtake him extremely easy 0-100 kmh wise

That's the one.
Good gear great guys to deal with. And fast post too!

Love mine nice note not to loud

This has been covered before and it is the case on a normally aspirated engine. However- on a turbo charged engine it's not. On a turbo charged engine the manifold and exhaust wheel is the exhaust system any thing after is just a method of get rid or dumping that remainder of the exhaust energy. A good analogy is look at water wheel on say flour mill in a stream. Really you don't need any dump or exit. In fact putting any sort of back pressure on it will hinder energy gained.

If there is any reason to steer away from a 3" on a D22 or D40 for that matter would be clearance from the body work and chassis.

Just added one to my d40 after not having a muffler for 6 months definitely runs better
D40 is a bit different due to the variable turbo. how big the exhaust is influences how the turbo is run. how the ecu does that will make or loose power.
generally the variable turbo's are more suited to smaller exhausts than what wastegated turbo's use.

cheapest exhaust mod for the most gain on the zd30 D22 is simply change the muffler. its has a very restrictive entry so gains are very good for the price.

Let me tell you now. A d40 runs 1000% better with a muffler in a3" System.

I thought it didn't until I installed one into my straight through last week

D40 is a bit different due to the variable turbo. how big the exhaust is influences how the turbo is run. how the ecu does that will make or loose power.
generally the variable turbo's are more suited to smaller exhausts than what wastegated turbo's use.

cheapest exhaust mod for the most gain on the zd30 D22 is simply change the muffler. its has a very restrictive entry so gains are very good for the price.

Sounds promising, can you recommend any sort of muffler?
Should I even bother with an ebay special? If they even sell them on there

Your looking at 170-200 for a muffler fitted. Higher flow one at least.
Why not replace the whole thing?

Yeah I haven't decided yet, will most probly replace the whole thing but just don't have the cash ATM.
Can you recommend a website or shop to by mufflers from?

Latest posts

Back