best oil choice for ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22Nav_Man

Reaction score
Hey guys need to know what oil to use in my 3.0 ltr. Ive heard that the turbo can flog out if you use oil that is to thick because the oil can clog and not flow into the turbo and a thin oil (5w 30 or 10w 30) should be used, but ive also heard that for a car with high km's on it like mine (180000 on the clock) you should use a thicker oil (15w 40) so im not sure what to do........ dont want to fuck the motor!!! Any advice tips would be great.

Im no sure what is the BEST oil to use, but i used Penrite 5W-40 and it seems alright im pretty sure a few of the other forum members use the same, but everyone uses different oils and will recommend different grades/ brands etc.

Don't believe everything you have heard. Just buy a oil that meets or exceeds the recommended oil in the owners manual.

I use DELO 400 in my ZD30 it's range is 15w40, so suits Melbourne's climate fine.

My dealer uses 5W40 (currently) or 10W40 in summer and 5W30 in winter. Fully synthetic, because my car has a DPF and the oil needs to be very low ash so the DPF isn't blocked up.

ANY of these oils mentioned will work and will not harm your turbo or its oil lines. What kills the turbo - and clogs up the lines - is heat. Oil can be cooked through excessive heat.

If you don't let your turbo cool down after a hard run, the turbo will be very hot, and with the engine stopped the oil won't flow through the turbo back into the sump, so it'll just sit in the bearings and cook. If your engine is running, the hot oil is moved back to the sump before it can start burning and forming hard deposits and clogging the lines - and worse, destroying the turbo bearings that it's supposed to protect!

So rather than worry about which oil, just use what's in the manual and take care of your turbocharger by either driving gently for a couple of minutes before you reach your destination, or letting the engine idle for a minute or so once you get there.

I just stuck to the Nissan branded oil, and it seemed fine for the 350'000 + km that i had my ZD30 for.

+1 to what Old Tony said about letting your tuno cool down properly. Cause that will be more likely the cause of a buggered turbo by not letting it cool down after giving it a hiding

If you want the best, use full synthetic.

Brands???

shell, castrol, nulon, havoline, penrite, mobil, in a 5w-40 would be great.

other than full syn, something like castrol RX Super is excellent.

Also have a look at the oil Co's website recommendations for your engine,
tho not sure if they will have full syn, some will as a premium option oil,
but you said you wanted the best and thats a full synthetic!

:redcool:

i currently use the Penrite 5W40 semi-syn stuff. it's pretty good. and does what i need it to.

i think next oil change i'll go for some 10w50 or similar.

full synthetic is good BUT its not good in an engine thats burns a bit of oil. either past the rings or via the breather. i would not use synthetic without a very good catch can (with filter).

the other thing i should look more into is use the old or racing spec oils. most modern oils have reduced some of the good cheap additives due to environmental issues and that they tend to clog cat converters and DPF's. a lot are now all DPF friendly.
if you do not have a cat, then the old style oils are much better especially on flat tappet top ends.

full synthetic is good BUT its not good in an engine thats burns a bit of oil. either past the rings or via the breather. i would not use synthetic without a very good catch can (with filter).

the other thing i should look more into is use the old or racing spec oils. most modern oils have reduced some of the good cheap additives due to environmental issues and that they tend to clog cat converters and DPF's. a lot are now all DPF friendly.
if you do not have a cat, then the old style oils are much better especially on flat tappet top ends.

ALL engines burn oil, to varing degrees

and mineral oils cant stand high heat anywhere near as well as syn's.

yes but synthetic doesn't burn as cleanly as mineral. synthetic tends to leave a big mess behind in the chamber etc. so if you have an engine that ingests a fair bit of oil then mineral will do less damage to the engine.

I was just thinking about oil ive used delo 400 in all my trucks and machinery. It is one oil designed for multi purposes. Engine dif gearbox. Only thing is it is a little dense for hydraulic and blows lines. Check it out on the net its great. Weather its the best i dont know but we use it in our sterlings and scanias and those engines are worth a pretty penny. Just watch out for synthetics because if you get stuck short on oil you cannot mix another type or brand in for a top up.

Just watch out for synthetics because if you get stuck short on oil you cannot mix another type or brand in for a top up.

(Quote)
Is mineral oil compatible with synthetic oil? ie Can you mix?

When it comes to topping up, it is ideal to top up with what is already in the compartment (i.e. it is best to top up with HPR 30, if HPR 30 is already in the engine). So while you can do it, you do not get the full benefits of either product.

I doubt there is a shortage of synthetic oils around the country if one needs a topup

It's also generally good sense to carry some spare oil if you're venturing well out of reach of civilisation. Plus coolant, hydraulic fluid, tyre repair kit, spare belts and hoses ... it weighs you down, you might not need it, but if you're 200km along a dirt track and something goes wrong ...

most modern oils have reduced some of the good cheap additives due to environmental issues

this is where RX Super fit as it still got the 'Zinc" additive

and that they tend to clog cat converters and DPF's. a lot are now all DPF friendly.

tho, in this case this is not a concern

then the old style oils are much better especially on flat tappet top ends.

again RX Super

Cheers .

Just look for an oil that meets the JASO DH1 standards.
It doesn't matter whether it's synthetic, semi synthetic or a mineral oil, just make sure whatever oil you choose it meets the above standard.

I run Synforce "Cruiser Oil" in our D22 and I personally find it an excellent oil.

Cheers.
VCrusty.

Just look for an oil that meets the JASO DH1 standards.
It doesn't matter whether it's synthetic, semi synthetic or a mineral oil, just make sure whatever oil you choose it meets the above standard.

Cheers.
VCrusty.

thats all good and well if your under warranty still,
but being a ZD30 i doubt it is.

Latest posts

Back