body lift insurance question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidos

Reaction score
Does getting a 2" body lift void your insurance?

With a engineer certificate it won't void it?

I have a 2" suspension lift with 265 tires.

Best off speaking to your insurance company directly to see what they do and don't allow.

So has anyone got the car covered without an engineer cert? As I don't want to call up thousands of insurance companies haha.

Insurance company's will tell you what you want to hear. But if its not legal in your state, and you dont have a engineers certificate. You wont be covered

From what I understand bodylifts are okay to be insured assuming your airbag sensors are unaffected, and as far as I know the D22 is fine, unsure on D40.

To get a a body lift certified you must get it mod plated and then lane change tested to be certified by the DOT, this can cost a lot of money, probs cost $300 for body blocks +installation if you need it, $200 for mod plate then up to $1000 is the figure I have heard quoted to hire a professional driving to do the lane change test (also covers hire of venue and what not). There is a guy from Tassie who did it and there was about 8 people who did it on the day of testing, this would likely cut down the cost as so many people would be chipping in for venue hire.

So as long as it doesn't affect my airbag sensors it's legal and I will be covered with out have a engineer cert.

It stats 25 mm. From original Tyre size, 50mm suspension lift and 50th body lift is allowed. Qld laws allow up to 150mm total lift. So with 33's it would make a total of 150mm.

Just didn't sound right. I've read so many post saying they needed a engineer certificate.

You will need to have it certified, first by an accredited mod plater and then by the DOT for a lane change test, without these your car will not be road worthy, it the car isnt roadworthy insurance wont cover it.

You will need to have it certified, first by an accredited mod plater and then by the DOT for a lane change test, without these your car will not be road worthy, it the car isnt roadworthy insurance wont cover it.

That sentence just made me deeply depressed. ):

I have looked into it pretty extensively and this is the conclusion I have come to. If I was to do it I would get it done and then get the mod plate and dont bother with the lane change test. I assume most cops would be happy when they see the mod plate and if you do get defected just remove the bodylift and reinstall at a later date if you can be bothered. After considering all this I ended realising the 50mm body lift just wasnt worth the effort or the risk

That 150mm total lift will be maximum that an engineer can approve, its usually 50mm and under for no mod plate but don't quote me on that, check the NCOP.

You need to let your insurance company know what modifications you have.

It is entirely up to them whether they will insure those mods.

Put simply make a call to your insurance company!!!

Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's

If its engineered and plated and your insurance company allows it your all good. Most companies will happily add it to your policy even without a mod plate but if things get nasty may try to get out of a claim by saying its technically unroadworthy.

Why would you bother with a body lift anyway, You wont get any better 4x4 performance out of it plus you will make it a lot more unstable. Sure they look good lifted with big tyres but looks are not that important really. The bigger tyres will cost you more, they are noisy, they ware a lot faster, will cost you more fuel and they will put undue strain on your drivetrain. and then there is the insurance issues. With the 2" suspension lift you have you will be able to take the car just about anywhere you want and will avoid all the other dramas. In the end its up to you but for me personally I don't see any advantages to lifting it.

Why would you bother with a body lift anyway, You wont get any better 4x4 performance out of it plus you will make it a lot more unstable. Sure they look good lifted with big tyres but looks are not that important really. The bigger tyres will cost you more, they are noisy, they ware a lot faster, will cost you more fuel and they will put undue strain on your drivetrain. and then there is the insurance issues. With the 2" suspension lift you have you will be able to take the car just about anywhere you want and will avoid all the other dramas. In the end its up to you but for me personally I don't see any advantages to lifting it.

Well said mate,body lifts are more trouble than they are worth, bigger tyres on lightweight alloy's are no strain on drivelines but on steel rims they are,mine still has good fuel economy running 33's on alloy's,but everyone is different and has their own opinion.

I was only considering to fit 33's a little bit easier. With the body lift you're only lifting the cab so the mass off the car will still be at a 2" hight. Personally I like the look of the lift but if it's going to void insurance I would rather not.

Latest posts

Back