Buying a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt.wook

Reaction score
Currently own a Ve ute,
Have just started my own electrical business and I'm looking into buying a dual cab d40.

With all the collective experience here, would you guys be able to tell me what to look for when looking at a D40,

Issues,
recurring problem,
Etc

What questions to ask aswell.

Thanks guys any help is appreciated.

Matt

Welcome to the forum.

The diesel D40's biggest bug-bear (although it's not as common as it would appear) has been the timing chain, followed by the dual mass flywheel in the manuals. Earlier models (2006) had axle/bearing issues, 2007-2009 had timing chain issues, 2007-2011 had DMF issues (burning clutches). The petrol versions were pretty clear of major issues and are cheaper to maintain.

Early V9X (V6 3.0L diesel) models were powerhouses but the charge air piping would balloon introducing significant lag.

None of the models enjoyed K&N air filters that were enthusiastically oiled. A slight over-oiling would cause oil droplets to land on the MAFS which would burn the droplets on the sensor wire killing the MAFS ($400) and destroying the vehicle's performance.

Gearboxes are strong but the V9X's 7-speed auto suffered in 4LO because in manual mode it would still upshift around 2500rpm, not good for controlling a steep descent on loose material.

Front diffs aren't strong at all and if you're going to do any serious off-roading they should be locked (e-locker or air-locker for manual control, either is good). The rear diff is LSD and near bulletproof and later models (2010 onwards) introduce all sorts of additional safety features - a 2013 model will have EBD and TCS on top of the standard ABS.

Expect a 2006-2009 diesel to produce 126kW/403Nm, get around 12-13LPHK around town, 10LPHK highway. 2010+ 4cyl diesels (Spanish, VIN starts with 'VSK') produce 140KW/450Nm, get 11-12LPHK around town and 9-10LPHK highway. Thai (VIN starts with 'MNT') models from 2010 onwards still sport the 126kW engine. V9X diesels produce 170kW/550Nm (hence the logo "STX-550") providing town economy of 10-11LPHK, highway as low as 7-8LPHK claimed by some owners. Naturally these figures are for a fairly conservative drive and won't be achievable if you expect (or try to get) the same performance as a VE ute.

All models will tow 3T but require a 5-bolt-per-chassis-rail tow hitch rather than the 3-bolt (I think all models since 2012/2013 have the 5-bolt hitch).

Full service history is always critical, especially for higher km examples. Personally I would avoid a second hand vehicle that belonged to a tradesperson or avid 4wd'er as they may have had a harder life or done a lot of towing. An inspection buy a qualified mechanic will reveal any accident or under body damage. Get the vin no. and call a nissan dealer and they can advise what spare parts have ever been supplied to that vehicle which could indicate accident repairs.

Old Tony has covered off the main issues very well. D40s are also generally lower than other 4wds with less clearance. Important if you want to 4wd. But d40s ride well and are one of the most car like to drive. Also lots of parts and accessories available. Good luck.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I'm looking at spending around 25-30k, around 50,000k's. So it should make it newer that 2010.

Buy what you were saying about the clutches, would it be better to buy a second hand car that has had the clutch replaced?
If so how long does the clutch normally last?

Thanks

Clutch reliability is variable with a DMF. I have had mine in for 50k now and it's still going strong. I am expecting between 75-100k from my clutch. All modern 4wd manuals are DMF these days so this issue is not brand specific.

If you find one that has had an upgrade to a Hd DMF or an SMF conversion just check for receipts... They should note mileage and date of installation.

Also some automatic navs suck the juice something fierce. My mates auto is up to 20% less efficient than my manual. He is lucky to get 500 km from a tank of diesel.

If your towing id look for a auto..manual towing witha heavy load is challenging..for the occasional tow job i love my manual.ive got a 08 kingcab with 104tho and im still on the original DMF clutch..depends on how you drive it.most problems have been sorted by the year model your looking at.id say you will love a 2010 onwards.if it was me id go for a late model spanish built ST manual.good power and nice features.excellent aftermarket parts supply available too for most models!!

Latest posts

Back