Buying ex mining ute

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
Hi everyone I think I might be parting ways with my nav for a gu patrol ute. I found a patrol ute that has been a ex mining car. But it almost sounds to cheap which gets me thinking why is it. Would any of you buy a ex mining vehicle? Or has anyone got 1. Just wondering weather they look after there cars or if they flog them. Anyone who works in the mines care to she'd some light which would be great.

well the old rule of thumb, if its sounds to go to be true - it generally is.

would I personally buy one? not a chance!

Depends on the mines, I'd trust one from down this way before I'd trust one from the mines of WA or QLD because I have a better idea of their history and being local it's easy to find out who's doing the work on them, but I still wouldn't trust these ones totally either I'd be getting then checked out.

I found a patrol ute that has been a ex mining car and it almost sounds to cheap which gets me thinking why is it

:idea: :idea: :idea:

you answered your own question I think

Personally i would never buy an ex mining or government vehicle. Although the vehicles are kept up with their log book servicing requirements, it's the way they are driven in between times. You know the saying "drive it like you stole it" well this is the same sort of thing,

I bought a GU back in 2000 and it was mechanically great and no dents but the chasis was full of rust and pitted out and i had to buy sections of chassis off a wreck and reweld it back together very time consuming, So i would make sure it some rust prevention module on it before you buy.

Ok as I thought to good to be true. I'll stay clear of it than. Especially knowing my luck with cars

I work up north, and i FLOG the **** out of our work trucks and prado's, It is dirty and dusty as all shit, nothing gets maintained apart from standard engine servicing or if something breaks. I will NEVER buy ex-mining and strongly suggest not buying one unless you work for the company and know the history of such vehicle.

Brett

I work up north, and i FLOG the **** out of our work trucks and prado's, It is dirty and dusty as all shit, nothing gets maintained apart from standard engine servicing or if something breaks. I will NEVER buy ex-mining and strongly suggest not buying one unless you work for the company and know the history of such vehicle.

Brett

Straight from the horses mouth

Yeah unless its mining contractors car and even then it needs to be the owner of the contracting companie it will be thrashed and as said above depending on what type of mine probably full of rust

I also work in the mines and personally wouldn't even contemplate buying a mine ute. As said they get absolutely thrashed.

I bought my d22 ex mine. Local mine and not coal or anything like that.

Mechanically it's pretty good, but the amount of dust and rust in it is pretty ridiculous. I'll be picking magnasite out of this car until I get rid of it I think.

All in all, it was cheap, and I knew exactly what it was - so I was happy to deal with the troubles until I decide on upgrading.

My bro bought one unknowingly, that had been cleaned up and on sold, private sale. He got it home and climbed under it properly, which he should have done in the first place. Found rust in the chassis and took it back demanding a refund. Dood said nah, he said cool I'll take it up with the authorities since a rwc was supplied. Oh OK, here's your bucks.
I wonder how many may get caught?
There must be lots of em out there 3rd hand.
Old story, buyer BEWARE...........

Mining utes are still no different to any second hand vehicle, sure they might get a bit dirtier but the argument of flogging them is no different in any secondhand purchase.

You have little idea if the vehicle you are buying from the bloke 3 suburbs away has been flogged, you have little idea if it's even been washed all you can do is check.

Many people still go on about how a diesel has to be driven hard to get the most out of the engine yet if you are buying second hand its a must to check that it hasn't been driven too hard.

At the end of the day treat it like any other used car purchase, if you like it get it checked by a decent mechanic and make a judgement based on qualified persons report not just stories of the internet. It may still turn out to be a bad buy but it may also turn out to be a good deal.

Hmm, I disagree a little about a mining veh being the same as a personal veh. My mates work in the mines and I was in the defence force. I know these vehicles are always flogged, overloaded and generally not cared for. As they don't belong to an individual that extra care for the veh is just not given.

I know that there will be owners of vehicles that give them a flogging. But that % Vs the % of mining vehicles flogged would be a lot less. A "safer" option would be to buy from a private add.

Mining vehicles are usually bought at auction, usually by car dealerships who tidy them up and sell them at the higher price as they would all have log book servicing and lower Ks.

I suppose to add to that, there isn't a law stopping anyone buying a mining vehicle at auction, giving it a good once over and then selling it to make a profit.

Look for red dirt in the air vents and in all cracks and joins and in the air filter box.

Ok guys thanks again. Saved a possible huge head ache. Well I'm going to look at a patrol this weekend so will see what happens. My days on this forum may be numbered

Latest posts

Back