Can any computer nerds help with iCloud

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windows Vs Mac users is as hotly debated as D22 Vs D40 which is kind of funny given the flaws in both arguments.

Apples biggest problem is their proprietary nature but that same thing over the years has also been a plus for them. Windows biggest problem was that they were too big and everyone loved to hate them.

Both still work, both still do almost the same thing it's just those with taste don't choose Apples they choose D40's :ha:

Krafty I LOVED your 15 tips!!
I may have to print that out and hand it out in the office!!

Don't be surprised if you loose some friends, those who are usually guilty of 2 or more of the things on that list are also usually the easiest offended and less likely to admit they do it. :big_smile:

Very witty Wilde.

It's ok it was said with a very big spoon working in a circular motion :redcool:

Having been involved in the actual fight between IBM and Microsoft (which IBM struggled about as much as a corpse would in a prize boxing fight) I can tell you that Windows didn't get to where it did purely on the basis of it being the best there is.

Windows is a default choice. There's nothing else viable in the commercial market - OS/2, Linux variants and Unix had little to offer in the way of commercial-operation software and what they DID have wasn't flexible enough nor did it come close to the ease of use that it needed to get decent market share and become a serious player. Hence Windows won by default.

Using that as an argument against Apple sits poorly with me, because while Apple dominated the music/graphics arena and built its main base from there, Microsoft built its empire from providing something the corporate world wanted first and then needed. Staff would go home having become accustomed to the Windows environment and they'd buy the same, so they didn't have to learn new environments.

OS/2 today is dead. Its "successor" - Ecom Station - is such a minority niche market it's not worth considering for a commercial enterprise that needs to be able to open documents that its clients or business associates are sending. It needs to work on current hardware, and unfortunately it's only supporting stuff that's 5 years old or more.

Linux is a total pain in the ass for the user. The interface is clunky, making shortcuts to things is difficult, users don't want to know that they need to "chmod 777" their folders or any other bullshit. It's for nerds, and it will be the nerds' stomping ground, at least until they can get rid of ALL of the technical stuff and keep it simple.

Because by and large, the average computer user doesn't WANT to know any of that - nor should they need to. The computer SHOULD be a tool, it SHOULD be easy to use and in THAT respect Microsoft did a better job than its competitors. We'll overlook the marketing ploys they used - like signing developers into a Windows-exclusive contract to prevent them from developing for other platforms, this is in spite of Microsoft's own Excel development team using the OS/2 platform "because it's stable and doesn't crash every half an hour".

So there's a LOT more to the argument. Apple would like more of the market but they're stuck in the niche area and don't do themselves any favours by not allowing some flexibility. They still have a dedicated following and have survived in spite of themselves.

And just so you don't think I'm trying to fly an MS flag ... I currently maintain several OS/2 boxes, I prefer using Linux, I would love to see Android mature even further. But I am FORCED to use Windows on my work machine so that I can use the tools and create documents etc that my clients can use - because they're in the corporate world, and they use Windows.

And just to remain on topic - I am currently fighting the Android tendency to put things "in the cloud" at the moment. My new phone won't let me store my contacts on my phone's sim, they have to be stored in my Google account (Samsung Galaxy Nexus). It's a PITA but I've turned off syncing for the time being, because there are some things I don't want stored in a place where others could get access to it.

And Google has been hacked into before - let's never forget that there are clever companies out there making clever security mechanisms, but there are also clever buggers out there breaking into through those mechanisms too.

The day more than 5% of users use more than 70% of their home PC's potential (Mac or IBM) is the day I'll start listening to the "mine is better than yours" arguments.

10 years ago I chose to make more from my MS accreditation's and certifications than from my CISCO and Unix qualification purely because I chose the retail market over the high end corporate support sector. I owe a lot of things to MS and their domination over the PC market and the only reason I'd never sell Apples or recommend Apples is because they are such a closed shop not because they aren't worthy computers.

However I'll never recommend cloud computing to any of my clients unless there is absolutely no choice.

I gave up on Linux flavours purely due to no enough interest from the people I sell computers too but I have been using Android on the tablet a bit lately and as far as O/S's go it's not too bad, the use of a tablet or small screen far annoys me more than the use of Android, but the first thing I make sure is turned off is any ability to store shit anywhere but on the unit. I'd rather have 15 malicious bugs installed that possibly send my data elsewhere than give way to one cloud that willingly offers my data to companies.

Wow, we need to start a thread for IT nerds, sounds like we have a few with a few years behind them.

Maintain a few OS/2 boxes, that must be becoming hard, that's been buried for some time now.

I too jumped onto the MS bandwagon back in the early 90's as that was and still is where the money is.

I think the next 5-10 years are going to be very interesting and I wont be surprised to see MS start to lose major income and sales of Windows fall.

XP got millions of people onto the Internet, then they got addicted to the Internet. Then stuff like Skype came along. Then other stuff like sharing video and photo's. Lots of people who use these services are mums and dads, grannies and grampas and others as well of course.

How has MS made most of it's money? By selling copies of Windows. All the people just mentioned don't want to change their PC (or part of it) simply because MS bring out a new version of Windows. What do they care if you can now move tiles around on your screen with your finger.

Same for the corporate world. The only thing you use Windows for is so you can get to your back end systems, sure folks use Excel and Word for their office docs, but big deal.

I'll use Google in my example here. I won't be surprised to see Google and others (in fact they've already started) bringing out boxes that you turn on, log you onto the 'net and into your Google account etc in the next 5 years.

Have you ever used Google Docs, it's pretty bloody good and free. If you a simple home user that doesn't need to create complex macro's or fiddly document embedding, Google Doc's is great.

Honestly, how many people that you know, need something as powerful as the PC they have at home? Just about everyone I know doesn't, but they need that firepower to run Windows. What do they do with Windows? They use it so they get onto Facebook, Twitter, navara.asia, online banking etc etc.

When USB sticks started coming out I said someone needed to start making car radios with a USB port in 'em so instead of carting CD's around, you just stick in ya stick and away you go.

I think the same thing will happen with "net boxes".

The problem with Google Docs is that that Google retains the right to your data that you use the programs for. Atleast Open Office was a usable and viable alternative to MS Office that kept your documents on your own computer.

Yes and absolutely.

Both are great free alternatives to the MS products.

And on the Linux side of things, I couldn't agree with Tony more. I used Linux for 6 months when Vista first came out. It will never get anywhere until they get rid of all the nerd tricks you need to know to get it to work for you.

I've never really known why and how (and in fact if) Apple got to be the preffered tool of trade for music and graphic apps??? I guess software was written for Mac's in the early days and it just grew from there. Because Mac hardware hasn't really been that more powerful than comparable PC's.

Back in the day (and I may not be 100% accurate here) Mac's ran RISC cpu's. RISC chips are reputed to be more powerful than CISC chips but not as flexible. But DEC created PC's that used RISC cpu's and you could run NT on them, so theoretically those PC's should have been as powerful as the Mac equivalents. BUT I'm fairly sure that Apple was using RISC cpu's before DEC (in the PC market), so maybe that's when they got their leg up. I really don't know.

Funny thing, the IT press is all excited coz Win8 is going to be ported to run on ARM (RISC) chips, but only on devices like phones etc, from what I've read.

In an attempt to keep this on topic, here's a picture of Apple's latest product ...

Green+Island.jpg

It's the new Apple I-land (get it, apple island ... i-land)

I don't think Apple was ever any better at graphics and sound because Windows has pretty much always been able to do the same quality of work, I think Apple's success was because so many people loved to hate MS and Apple became chic.

I-land jokes are nearly as well used as I-ron jokes :ha:

Macs used to run the Motorola processor. Used to get a lot of jibes about the Intel chip needing more salt, or less vinegar, or something stupid like that and "you can't pass the 68000 for pure grunt".

While that might be true, you can't pass Intel for marketing savvy nor MS for the same thing, and in this world, marketing wins customers.

20 years ago, if Apple had marketed their product effectively, we'd all be typing this in on MacOS on a Motorola-chip based unit (who'd still be producing chips because they'd have market share).

Basically you don't have to have a good product. You only have to have a good advertisement, and Mr Gull Ebull swallows it whole and heads off with his corporate credit card.

We used to say "IBM" stood for "Incredibly Bad Marketing". I don't think we missed the mark.

True enough!

Back on to "cloud" technology. I've just finished setting up my own 'cloud'. Two Android devices (Acer Iconia tablet and Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone) are now synchronising several types of data directly with my laptop, wirelessly and without intervention.

The key to this success is the discovery of a neat little program on the Android Market called "SyncMe". It's also free! If you do get it and enjoy it, I recommend finding a few bucks to slip the author - this is the sort of app that we need and the author should be encouraged to do it more!

Make your own cloud, maintain it easily and don't worry about data or identity thieves.

Back on cloud technology? There is no technology is clouds they are just big fluffy sheep that walked to close to the edge of the cliff and now watch over the rest of the flock.

Now try and stuff one of those clouds full of your documents and see how easy they are too read.

There's no denying...Bill Gates is a LEGEND, along with MS

Those who deny it.....are just jealous

There aren't many guys who can give multi-millions to charity and still get shit canned for it.

Latest posts

Back