canopy brand new or 2nd hand?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.duncan

Reaction score
hey Guys

went and had a look at ARB canopy's and they are around $2300-2600

i really like then and they do everything i want

is it hard to pick up a second hand one in good nick? or is it best to pay the cash and buy brand new?

its only a 2000 model so dont want to spend loads on a canopy if its not going to really make the car worth much more, but at the same time i want it to last for the life of the car.

I'm going to be pricing up some canopies in the near future, what were the specs on that one from ARB? Smooth? Lift up windows? High or standard?

Personally I'd go new all the time even on an old car because you can never fully trust anything you buy second hand and you will put a fair bit of faith in a canopy whether it be using the extra load space or using bars on the roof. But having said that everyone's situation is different, if I liked ARB and it was my only choice $2300 is about what I'd expect to pay brand new and wouldn't look at a second hand one.

Whether you pay $500 or $2500 I wouldn't expect to see any marked improvement in resale price because extras just don't make back what you pay for them most of the time.

I have a factory 2nd on mine and have never had a problem with it.
looking at a 2nd hand canopy there is nothing really that can go wrong with them.
Look at them and look for structural damage.If there is no structural damage they are no different to a new one.
Not everyone is as rich as you Krafty.:sarcastic:

You aren't all rich? Well that sucks I didn't know I was associating with plebs, time you fellas lifted your games.

Structural damage can't always be seen easy but yes it's worth doing a thorough check if your not rich. But there is also the sealing of any canopy which may not have been removed properly, how well it was looked after and how many of the mountings it comes with are just few things that can make a huge difference and may make such second hand purchases an unhappy experience.

I'm going to be pricing up some canopies in the near future, what were the specs on that one from ARB? Smooth? Lift up windows? High or standard?

they do pretty much what ever you want

cheapest, grained exterior sliding windows both sides = $2055

most, smooth exterior colour coded lift up both side = $ 2904

standard roof and high lift same price

that was for a 2000 navara

very helpfull just go in and have a chat with them

I'm probably going to go with an ARB. Went out to the Coopers Plains branch a couple of months ago, Adam there took me out the back (ha ha) to show me a couple being fitted, and the quality looked great. I'm going with a smooth standard height one, as once you put a rack on top, low shop centre carparks become an obstacle.

Around $2700 painted/fitted. I did also contact Carryboy about their canopies, never heard back from them so they are off the list.

Mine cost me $200 from the wreckers. It came off a Datsun 720 and I shortened it with my jigsaw and an angle grinder. Painted it with a few cans of spraypaint and recycled some struts from an old Hilux canopy. The dogs absolutely love it and I don't care if it gets scratched.

I don't think it looks too bad (from a distance!):
http://www.navara.asia/members/wall...-camping-our-jurgens-oryx-offroad-camper.html

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that Walaby.

Mine goes in on Friday for a new ARB smooth standard height with lift up windows both sides. Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back