Car won't start!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silva_nav

Reaction score
Hey guys

Did the egr mod with the Help of lapsed to my car on the weekend.
Now at work get into my car to leave and the car will start hit about 400rmp then just struggle and die... Not saying it could be the egr but what else could it be? Could we have put the hoses around the wrong way? Also if it is the egr why would it have run for three days then decided not to start now...
The other thing I could think of is water could have got somewhere as it is a very wet day here today in Perth...

Cheers
Luke

Goes to about 400rpm then dies.
RAC came out and the bloke reckons it's something to do with fuel pump as it was serverly over fueling thus strugglin to keep the revs up.
Could the EGR have anything to do with this?

Na the EGR is only for emmisions.

Unless you blocked off the intake. Which I doubt you did.

Lol now wouldn't that be funny but nah we did it right.
There seems to be a small bit of oil build up on the outside of it though..

I'd go over the EGR mod again, make sure it was done the right way. Try reversing the mod and see if the engine starts ... if it does, then yes the mod needs to be re-worked.

If reversing the EGR mod doesn't encourage the car to start, I'd be looking at air in the fuel line first - try giving the primer bulb a few squeezes. You should only get 3-4 squeezes in at the most before it starts becoming too hard. If you squeeze it too many times and there are no signs of fuel leaking, it'll be a minor leak on the suction side of the fuel pump.

Failing that, it could be a fuel filter, it could be a fuel rail pressure sensor fault - try the simple things first.

Ran fine before drove it to work this morning fine.

The RAC bloke did it but I think about 3-4 pumps. We go it started and it just hung on about 500rpm and blasted out a shit load of smoke. The RAC guy just said it seemed to be severly over fueling thus causing it struggling to get any revs up.

sounds like blocked intake. its pouring in the fuel trying to idle as your rpm is below idle.
or egr is not blocked off and its stuck open.

check butterfly is open, easy enough to force open by hand, check air filter and lastly check turbo hasn't seized.

also could be blocked exhaust. check no ones shoved something up the exhaust. otherwise unbolt the cat or just unbolt the egr pipe a bit. anything to let the exhaust come out before the cat. sometimes the cat will block up choking the engine.

sounds like blocked intake. its pouring in the fuel trying to idle as your rpm is below idle.
or egr is not blocked off and its stuck open.

check butterfly is open, easy enough to force open by hand, check air filter and lastly check turbo hasn't seized.

also could be blocked exhaust. check no ones shoved something up the exhaust. otherwise unbolt the cat or just unbolt the egr pipe a bit. anything to let the exhaust come out before the cat. sometimes the cat will block up choking the engine.

Tweak how do i checked for blocked intake? As you can tell im not a mechanical minded person at all.

Checked the butterfly and it freely open and closes (i pull it one way and springs back the other) is this correct?

Ha i wouldnt know how to check if the turbo is seized.

Checking the turbo is easy. Undo the hose clamp near the front of the turbo and, with very clean hands (including under your fingernails), pop the hose off and reach in and give the turbo compressor wheel a spin (wait for the engine to be cold!!). It should spin freely and smoothly - it's designed to run at about 60,000rpm or higher, so any grittiness or wobble in the shaft is disastrous.

As for the rest of the intake - it's usually a physical inspection. The service department at my dealership related an incident where a vehicle had issues starting and running and it turned out to be a bird that had slammed into the intake of the snorkel and been sucked down the pipe, blocking the snorkel at the entry elbow as it turns into the front guard.

with the engine running, just check that the butterfly is open. note it needs to be in gear with foot on clutch! so you will need someone to help.

The car won't start so I can't check that...

try just with ignition on. its best to test with it in gear but pay to try with it out of gear and also in gear. just trying to see if the butterfly is fully closed when engine is meant to be running.

Mate have you posted this also in the WA section ?

If I was over your way Id come and have a look.

Mate have you posted this also in the WA section ?

If I was over your way Id come and have a look.

Will do Dave thanks for the suggestion because it doing my head in! I have booked it in at the mechanics for monday so it's not figured out by then I'll just have to get chafed thru the nose to get it looked at...

Latest posts

Back