Chainsaw question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you say stops cutting, does it stop running or is it still revving but just not getting anywhere? and is it cutting straight? or is the cut on curve if you look at the cut from the side?

Yeah chain still running, high revs; it just seems like it stops cutting. I thought it must be a bearing or something but I took it to stihl and they said it's fine. I'm doubtful.

Its only a 14" bar and it's only done three, half ton loads of wood. maybe I overworked it and somehting has worn?

It's a MS171

I used to have the problem because I'd sharpen the chain better on one side than the other, which no longer happens now that I use a grinding machine. With the uneven sharpening, the chain would cut better on one side, cutting through in a curve - and then jamming the bar in the log.

Could be it Tony. If they say its fine mechanically, probably is me.

I have a grinder I use, may just need to pay a bit more attention and take it more slowly.

Will let you all know next week when I get back

Thanks

The tip with sharpening is to do the minimal amount, especially when learning. I often clamp mine in the log spike(moves otherwise) and just run through each side of the chain with a single wipe.

You can buy a sharpening kit and the tooth(?) gauge has the file angles on it.

If you do a minimum sharpen, it is easy to see if you are not sharpening the chain evenly as the cut will start to curve. so you just sharpen(single wipe) the side that it is curving away from. That should bring it back on line, if not gently repeat.

The tip with sharpening is to do the minimal amount, especially when learning. I often clamp mine in the log spike(moves otherwise) and just run through each side of the chain with a single wipe.

You can buy a sharpening kit and the tooth(?) gauge has the file angles on it.

If you do a minimum sharpen, it is easy to see if you are not sharpening the chain evenly as the cut will start to curve. so you just sharpen(single wipe) the side that it is curving away from. That should bring it back on line, if not gently repeat.

Thanks Terry. I should have paid more attention when dad did it instead of chasing lizards around while he cut the wood :)

Back