Cheap LED strips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 10 too, hopefully they last ok. They are certainly cheap enough!

Will put a few in the boat and a couple in the nav.

I agree they are cheap and for the amount of power they use it's hardly an issue fitting so many (and atleast they aren't under the car and multicoluored) I'm just not into giving myself blinding light when soft light is adequate.

Tony's thinking outside the box and it makes sense, it's kind of suprising more caravan manufacturers haven't been doing it for the past few years considering the lights have never been that expensive.

I have actually considered the idea of running a strip or two under my shelves around the office here (kind of like down lights) to save me turning on the over head fluros and desk lamps purely because of their cost and how good they are, but in most cases if it's dark and I'm still out in the office I'm working too hard and I try to avoid that.

Was just thinking of buying some work light for the rear tub. How much light do you get at night from them? Beam spread and distance would be great to know as a rough guide. Would it reach a camp table 10m away at night? Cheers all.....

You get quite a bit of light from them, and they really spread the light, but i dont think they relplace the gas lantern for wide spreadding light. although i can imagine someone making up a long lead and suspending some from a tree or pole for some area light.

the possibilities are endless.

I just thought too - for $100 worth of these and a single standard 12V downlight transformer you could run a heap of these around the house and instead of flicking on a bunch of 40W globes, you could fire up 10 of these. Might be worth investigating as a low-power green-friendly business for someone.

It's going to be like sitting at the MCG in your canopy. I've got two 31mm done light replacement LED bulbs with 4 tiny LED's in each bulb mounted at the top front of my canopy and turning them on at night is more than enough to see everything in the canopy. Putting 120 LED's in the same space seems like a bit of an overkill to me.

Make a good point, it is hard to tell how much light they give off by just looking at the photos, when camping/fishing I hate not having enough light though. Looking in the canopy today, I will be using two on each side of the door shining down onto the tailgate (above each drawer when open) and may just use two on the roof of the canopy for now

I took this pic tonight in an attempt to show how even and bright the spread from these LEDs is. this was taken with the shutter open for 10 seconds but is very similar in real life. It seems a little brighter but this is similar to what you can expect.

light_spread_.JPG

Just an idea but I am going to be putting some in alloy channel under the steps so that the ground lights up under the steps when the interior lights come on. That way I get to see enough not to trip over when getting in the truck at night.
Alloy channel is to protect the strip a little and its easier to silicon the strips into a channel and easy to mount the channel.

One thing is these are pure dc only. Running 12volt downlight transformers may not work. They are cheap and nasty power supplies.To run LEDs you will need a better power supply like a power supply for an electronic device. The power supplies for downlights are really dirty 12volt supplies and many times will not drive an LED.
Before I get flamed yes i do have knowledge here and have even tried this so i do know what will and wont work.
Best supplies I have found so far are the universal 12v plug pack supplies from Jaycar or DSE

Last edited:
Holy crap they do put out a fair bit of light! May just use one in the canopy now, will still keep two shining down onto the tailgate.

Is the speaker wire sufficient? I have about 90 meters of figure 8 wire (bought it for speaker wiring) and will be using this if it is good enough?

5 meter 300 LED strip anyone?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Adhesive-12V...r-LED-Strip-Light-/220610010809?pt=AU_Gadgets

72 LED for longer runs
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DC-12V-WHITE...NEW-/110538682617?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories

Plenty of other sizes on ebay

Last edited:
One thing is these are pure dc only. Running 12volt downlight transformers may not work. They are cheap and nasty power supplies.To run LEDs you will need a better power supply like a power supply for an electronic device. The power supplies for downlights are really dirty 12volt supplies and many times will not drive an LED.

Thankfully this is something I don't need to worry about. In all the houses I've lived in for the last 20 years one of the first things I've set up is a 12 v supply run off a car battery connected to a 240 volt (these days solar as well) trickle charge. This areas has always been notorious for power blackouts and power cuts and making sure there was half a dozen lights around the house which could be switched on when the power was off has always been a priority. I also use the 12 volt supply to run a car radio in the kitchen and keep several ports available in highly used areas in case I need things like kettles or something. LED have made this little job so much better over the years, they are usually brighter head on however they don't always reflect the same way the older globes do but one can be adaptable when one needs to.

Gshannon: It would depend on the wire but if I was you before spending money on wire that you may not need run a test with the speaker cable on the bench connected to a car battery of any kind. See if you can run the cable for an hour or so without any effects to the cable. Some will probably say voltage drop and heat will be an issue but without knowing your exact cable size and because fig8 does come in varying sizes it's hard to say yes or no.

Cheers Krafty ill give that a try. The cable I have is only light duty stuff, the roll says .75 sq mm.
Looking at the pics on ebay, the LED strips are supplied with a length of fig 8 to make the connections, this looks very light so Im thinking it will be ok now

VA033CNC-2.jpg

You can only but try, and if you try on a test bench then it saves you finding out there is an issue later on. These things are low powered and you're right the pic shows light cable so I wouldn't be to worried. If you were running the cables 100 meters maybe there is some call for better cable but the Nav is only about 5 meters long so at best it's a 5 meter run from the front battery to the back, if you are using a 2nd battery it's probably alot less than 5 meters.

Just an idea but I am going to be putting some in alloy channel under the steps so that the ground lights up under the steps when the interior lights come on. That way I get to see enough not to trip over when getting in the truck at night.
Alloy channel is to protect the strip a little and its easier to silicon the strips into a channel and easy to mount the channel.

Hey Aussie Frontier! let us know how you go with this! i've been toying with the same idea, but wasnt sure on wiring and how long they'd last when i decide to play in puddles / mud etc. :)

Using 12v dl trannies is a terrible idea sorry. Their sine wave produced is terrible to use for an LED globe/strip unless you use the new led globs which actually operate off 230v.
Try and find a dedicated dc transformer for such sensitive electronics. Otherwise you could reduce the life of the globes dramatically. Im not sure Ive never done it but Im a sparky and just the thought would make my wallet cry.

Back on topic. I just brought 10 of these bad boys woohoo.
4 to go outside under doors coming on with central locking.
4 inside tub. I like it bright baby.
2 on rear of car for reversing camera im going to get eventually.

The canopy light throws good light into the tub but putting a strip under the lift up rear & side windows is what appeals to me the most.
I have an ARB canopy with a switched interior light, would I be able to run these lights off that light and switch without any/much stuffing around?

I have an ARB canopy with a switched interior light, would I be able to run these lights off that light and switch without any/much stuffing around?

You sure could. you just need to be able to run some wire to the light that is activated when you open the window and pick up the switching earth & power wires. easy.

Using 12v dl trannies is a terrible idea sorry. Their sine wave produced is terrible to use for an LED globe/strip unless you use the new led globs which actually operate off 230v.
Try and find a dedicated dc transformer for such sensitive electronics. Otherwise you could reduce the life of the globes dramatically. Im not sure Ive never done it but Im a sparky and just the thought would make my wallet cry.

Back on topic. I just brought 10 of these bad boys woohoo.
4 to go outside under doors coming on with central locking.
4 inside tub. I like it bright baby.
2 on rear of car for reversing camera im going to get eventually.

LED's work with Iron core tranny no worries, electronic trannys root em.

Latest posts

Back